• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ahh Chuckie...

19 posts in this topic

From the latest newletter, there appears to be a glut of Dallas Stephens books coming:

By the time you read this, I should be in Garden Grove, California. I am taking my wife, Nanette, on yet another winter vacation this week. We'll start out by stopping to visit our Mega-Store in Garden Grove (just a mile south of Disneyland on Harbor Blvd.) this afternoon, and then we'll take our store managers (Heather and David) for dinner at the Rain Forest Cafe in Downtown Disney. Tuesday is scheduled to be a relaxing day browsing LA bookstores and museums. Then we head down to San Diego on Wednesday to see our good friend Dallas Stephens. Dallas has yet another couple thousand high grade Silver Age comics for us to pick up, as well as about 250,000 issues from 1975-1995. I'll be loading that shipment into a tractor-trailer on Wednesday afternoon, and it should be back in Denver by Monday of next week.

[clip sales pitch]

In my opinion, we are now at a watershed moment in the history of comics. If comics shops can retain a significant portion of this new business in graphic novels, then I see the future of the comics industry as being very bright. On the other hand, if consumers vote strictly on the basis of lowest price, and abandon their local stores on these high-ticket items in favor of the discounts being offered by mass merchants, then I foresee the potential for the collapse of the entire Direct Market system. Believe me, a world devoid of comics shops would not be good for anyone.

The irony of my little sermon is that our business will survive no matter what happens. Thanks to the immense marketing reach of the Internet, I can now put a pretty safe bet on the fact that www.milehighcomics.com will be around for decades to come. I am not so foolish, however, as to not foresee the despair of a world without my fellow comics retailers. Frankly, I do not want to be the last comics retailer left in business, nor do I only want to sell back issues. That's why I often encourage you to shop for new items in your local comics store, and why I let all my fellow retailers link to our weekly "First Look" postings of upcoming new comics free of charge. While having tens of thousands of people viewing our new comics scans (who don't even shop with us...) costs us a bit in additional bandwidth, I think that it is critical to the future of the comics business that we all support each other. Every time another comics shop somewhere closes its doors we all have sustain! ed another loss. Just a little food for thought on a Monday morning...

Chuckles is visiting my town tongue.gifforeheadslap.gif

This was referenced in another thread... but it's kind of interesting that Chuck indirectly alludes to how he gets some of the hits his Website gets in his latest newsletter.

Almost as if he's reading the CGC threads.... smirk.gif

Chuck should contact NBC with a "Comic Shop Owner Survivor" proposal, and see if he really will be the last one standing.

Hey, that would be cool!

Peyote Tribe: Mile High Chuck, Comic-Keys, Metropolis, Aardvarkps, Comgeek

Wachuulukinat Tribe: ComicLink, Lighthouse, HighGradeComics, Heritage, Harley Yee

Your host, Steve "Probst" Borock: "Hammer, the tribe has spoken..." grin.gif

The irony of my little sermon is that our business will survive no matter what happens...fact that www.milehighcomics.com will be around for decades to come.

CR must have incredibly long arms to be able to keep patting himself on the back as easily as he does. tongue.gif

Hey Chuck, I'm betting your favorite character has got to be Plastic Man...or Mister Fantastic...Elongated Man?

Frankly, I do not want to be the last comics retailer left in business.

What a dink. Your poor attempt at humility failed miserably. makepoint.gif

Rick

I do apologize.

Here, let me buy a book from THE LAST EXISTING COMIC STORE KNOWN TO MAN!! You pick one for me Chuck, just make sure it's at least a NM or better. I trust you.

Whatta you mean "Why am I bending over"...don't all of your customers purchase this way?

Anyone have a "doggy-style" graemlin?

Rick

why I let all my fellow retailers link to our weekly "First Look" postings of upcoming new comics free of charge. While having tens of thousands of people viewing our new comics scans (who don't even shop with us...) costs us a bit in additional bandwidth, I think that it is critical to the future of the comics business that we all support each other.

Gee, shouldn't those other comic shops be getting paid by Chuck for driving all that traffic to his site? There are no reciprocal links back to those other sites, after all. Gotta love his spinnin' wheel-like mind... it's ALWAYS good, ALL the time!

I do apologize.

Here, let me buy a book from THE LAST EXISTING COMIC STORE KNOWN TO MAN!! You pick one for me Chuck, just make sure it's at least a NM or better. I trust you.

Whatta you mean "Why am I bending over"...don't all of your customers purchase this way?

Rick

10_1_100.gif

Chuckles is visiting my town tongue.gifforeheadslap.gif

And mine too! frown.gif

I wonder how much he's paying for Golden Age books these days? Probably nothing. But I'm sure consignments are seriously considered! Thanks Dallas! 27_laughing.gif

Timely

I do apologize.

Rick

10_1_100.gif

893applaud-thumb.gifflowerred.gif

Rick