• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is your most Prized Silver Age Comic?

146 posts in this topic

For books like that ASM 1 I try to get provenance, but I failed miserably. It was on consignment at Metro and when I bought it I asked if I could know the history, but the previous owner didn't know :doh: , so I'm left with a mystery.

Mysteries are not always a bad thing - especially in our hobby, at times it makes it more neat to wonder. Great Books!

I've been mulling over what to post as my most "prized" SA comic. There are a number of ways to define "prized," so I think I'll cheat and post 4 books for four different definitions.

1) Most valuable SA book.

Showcase22.jpg

2) Most significant SA book (i.e. my most prized grail).

BB28.jpg

3) My sentifmental favorite. (Bought this as a kid. It was my favorite series and to obtain a first issue was a real thrill.)

Aquaman1.jpg

4. Best overall comic. This one features my favorite character (Adam Strange), two of my favorite artists (Infantino and Anderson), and an early crossover with the Justice League. And it's a fantastic story.

MIS75.jpg

Not my most valuable in monetary terms but definately in terms of attachment to the hobby. Picked up for six cents at a second hand bookstore and I've never been the same.

Now that's provenance! It's a documented fact that comics that are loved this much age at a measurably slower rate. Your FF 49 should live forever!

As a huge DC war comics fan the following two are very high on my most prized SA book list.

OAAW83CGClabel.jpg

GIC_87_CGC_5.jpg

But after thinking about it, I decided on this as my most prized SA comic. :whee: A comic I always wanted. Even before I even knew about OAAW 83 or GIC 87

RR_1.jpg

I’ve given this some thought and I’d have to say my most prized SA book is my FF 1 I purchased back in ’71 from a fanzine through the mail…yes, prior to the internet! Oh, yeah, and for 50-cents…seriously!

I know most around the boards think of me as a Spidey freak, and I suppose that is where my primary allegiance lies, but really it’s a virtual dead-heat for me with ASM, FF and JIM/THOR…they’re all so unique and have my 2 favourite artists of all time...

While I’ve sold off most of the 700+ books I collected and schlepped around for the better part of 30+ years, pretty much dormant from the hobby (got back into things in 2001), I still have a few and this is one of them. I was ultimately bitten by the HG bug, and then the CGC bug (but pretty much only as I’ve largely purchased on-line and not in-hand), and that is now what I pursue. But even if I was lucky enough to score a HG FF1, I will NEVER part with this book…it will always be a part of my DNA link back to my earliest collecting days when I was just an innocent guy who loved comics and felt the world held endless possibilities...

Those possibilities have abated a bit, and perhaps that includes an FF 1 CGC 9.0, but this book always reminds me of my pure love for the books, the art, the stories and the realm…peace!

FANTASTICFOUR1VG-qOW-1.jpg

Not my most valuable in monetary terms but definately in terms of attachment to the hobby. Picked up for six cents at a second hand bookstore and I've never been the same.

Now that's provenance! It's a documented fact that comics that are loved this much age at a measurably slower rate. Your FF 49 should live forever!

Ah.....it's a #50 :pullhair:

I’ve given this some thought and I’d have to say my most prized SA book is my FF 1 I purchased back in ’71 from a fanzine through the mail…yes, prior to the internet! Oh, yeah, and for 50-cents…seriously!

I know most around the boards think of me as a Spidey freak, and I suppose that is where my primary allegiance lies, but really it’s a virtual dead-heat for me with ASM, FF and JIM/THOR…they’re all so unique and have my 2 favourite artists of all time...

While I’ve sold off most of the 700+ books I collected and schlepped around for the better part of 30+ years, pretty much dormant from the hobby (got back into things in 2001), I still have a few and this is one of them. I was ultimately bitten by the HG bug, and then the CGC bug (but pretty much only as I’ve largely purchased on-line and not in-hand), and that is now what I pursue. But even if I was lucky enough to score a HG FF1, I will NEVER part with this book…it will always be a part of my DNA link back to my earliest collecting days when I was just an innocent guy who loved comics and felt the world held endless possibilities...

Those possibilities have abated a bit, and perhaps that includes an FF 1 CGC 9.0, but this book always reminds me of my pure love for the books, the art, the stories and the realm…peace!

Nice story Tom. .50 cents for your prized possession. :cloud9: