• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I played the 9.9 game...and lost!!!

38 posts in this topic

The difference between a 9.8 and a 9.9 is near to impossible to discern. So your don't buy PGX is a bit of a mis leading thing to say. This is assuming the 9.9 PGX is resto. free. A ASM 5 was in a CGC 9.6 case. It was re subbed by The CGC as a 9.8. I own a 9.9 White Pages PGX slabbed Civil War 1 Variant. I have shown this book to almost every dealer I know. They have all said the book is flawless. I happen to agree. Not just because I own it. But because it is flawless IMHO. I may re sub it to the fine folks at The CGC. I would expect it to be a 9.9 or a 10.0 Gem Mint.

When your playing the 9.8 - 9.9 9.9 - 10.0 re sub game. You can and will be rewarded and burned. CGC has up and down graded re subs. So has PGX. But The CGC is the gold standard in resto. and grading a comic book. You pay your money and you take your chances.

I'd never take the chance of re subbing a 9.9 hoping for a 10. It's to much of a risk. So is the 9.8 to a 9.9 Simply to much risk. The value of the book will dictate any thoughts of re subbing. Just my 2c

What is the point of your post? You seem to be convinced that your PGX 9.9 is indeed a 9.9 under all grading schemes and take issue with my suggestion that PGX Mint doesn't necessarily mean that.

But look at your first sentence.

why would CGC get a 9.9 PGX case and slab it as a 9.9 CGC? So that a PGX booster can post how the 9.9s are equivalent?

Honestly, I'm surprised it didn't come back a 9.0 or 9.2.

why would CGC get a 9.9 PGX case and slab it as a 9.9 CGC? So that a PGX booster can post how the 9.9s are equivalent?

He should have it pressed ;-)

:signfunny:

don't start that hash of a discussion again :makepoint:

He should have it pressed ;-)

:signfunny:

don't start that hash of a discussion again :makepoint:

But it just seems like such a pressing issue.

It does raise the question as to who the heck is sending stuff to PGX???

I just dont understand it?

Do they submit their own books in? Who is falling for this?

Why would any one use the PLOD Masters?

Certain dealers are rumored to have revenue-sharing agreements with Daniel, so most of what they submit comes back higher than the books should be graded.

One dealer has more PGX 9.9s and 10s than anyone should ever see in their sales life.

That's who is submitting books into PGX and making a very nice profit for themselves.

after almost two years, I am still learning something new on these boards. thanks for the tip. (thumbs u

It's really a crapshoot. I had a PGX 9.2 book come back as a CGC 7.0. I had a PGX 9.9 come back as a CGC 9.8 and I had a PGX 9.0 come back a CGC 9.4 without being pressed.

Timmay's PGX 9.0 Iron Man becoming a CGC 9.6 is one of the best of all time.

"Yay, PGX 'correctly' graded a single 9.9 book based on the subjective, unpublished standards of its competitor." Not much of a claim.

The re-sub game in anything higher than 9.4 just doesn't make sense most of the time (unless it can be proven that one of the three graders gave it a higher grade than the label).