• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help with an Ebay buyer - advice

107 posts in this topic

Personally, I'd say "fine, I'll ship it your way," say shipping is the same price, and ship it FedEx. If he doesn't like it, say you put his order in the wrong box by mistake and, either way, he got his book. lol

Is there any price difference between FedEx and USPS? Just wondering if that's his angle.

I don't know if that's his angle, but there is a price difference, but it's not that great of one which is what I don't understand. In his initial response to my invoice he also stated that any package shipped in an envelope or bubble mailer will be returned to the sender unopened and that he only accepts it the way he wants it.

Personally, I refuse to accept UPS shipment.

I hate dealing with them, they are inconvenient for me to get to and they charge a BS brokerage fee that is probably illegal.

Maybe the guy has a legit reason...like he's not home during the day and has to drive to the next town to pick his stuff up.

That can be a real hassle.

Even if you had it in your listing, some people are unreasonable.

In this case it might take a little bending over on your part, not because you did anything wrong, but since the guy is a person_having_a_hard_time_understanding_my_point you just want to get rid of him as peacefully as possible.

As stated earlier, welcome to customer service.

I agree with a lot of what you're saying, I really do. If he had come at me with any kind of common courtesy I can say that I would've been willing to change the rules. Any inquiry I've made to him has been met with him essentially saying..you better do it my way or not at all...If someone had an issue like you describe I would be sympathetic, but the fact that he has been a tool does not make me feel like going out of my way for this seller.

Is there any price difference between FedEx and USPS? Just wondering if that's his angle.

I don't know if that's his angle, but there is a price difference, but it's not that great of one which is what I don't understand. In his initial response to my invoice he also stated that any package shipped in an envelope or bubble mailer will be returned to the sender unopened and that he only accepts it the way he wants it.

I hate dealing with them, they are inconvenient for me to get to and they charge a BS brokerage fee that is probably illegal.

Maybe the guy has a legit reason...like he's not home during the day and has to drive to the next town to pick his stuff up.

In this case it might take a little bending over on your part, not because you did anything wrong, but since the guy is a person_having_a_hard_time_understanding_my_point you just want to get rid of him as peacefully as possible.

I agree with a lot of what you're saying, I really do. If he had come at me with any kind of common courtesy I can say that I would've been willing to change the rules. Any inquiry I've made to him has been met with him essentially saying..you better do it my way or not at all...If someone had an issue like you describe I would be sympathetic, but the fact that he has been a tool does not make me feel like going out of my way for this seller.

F him then. Don't let him bully you around.

Personally I HATE bending over for insufficiently_thoughtful_persons like this but like I said earlier it is now just ego. I would act very similar but the fact remains that whether he asked you nicely or not ultimately will you ship by his method? If the answer is yes then why does it matter that he's an ? The only difference between shipping his method because he asked nice and shipping his method even though he's an is ego/pride/whatever you want to call it. Also keep in mind that of he's this picky he may neg you even if you ship to his request.

That being said I don't have to deal with him....BLOCKED

Personally, I would tell him that the auction clearly states how you ship. He either accepts that or he doesn't. If the buyer doesn't accept the terms of the listing, how can ebay fault you? If he negs you, it will be some hassle, but you ought to be able to get the feedback removed.

Not a chance. Sellers write all kinds of things in their listings (my favorite is "NO RETURNS ACCEPTED"), and if they get negged because of it, ebay couldn't care less.

Like FT says - print the USPS postage online, have the package picked up from your house (which is free), and be done with it.

It seems to me you are cutting off your nose to spite your face.Your making a mountain out of a mole hill.Ship the book USPS and be done with the dude.You are making way more work for yourself by trying to ship it your way.In the end you will lose the sale and have a neg on your record.

Im in my shop with posted hours.Fed ex has a success rate of about 50% getting my package there when im open.

Guys, I get it. No one wants to get bullied around on anything. It makes sense and my first reaction is a lot like some of the views here. :censored: HIM!! :censored: him right in the ear hole!!!

But take a step back and think about it. Life is way too short to waste this much time on fruitless conflict.

This guy is an individual_without_enough_empathy, I totally agree,

However, you have to look at the overall big picture.

How much time are you going to waste fighting with this guy on ebay, fighting over the feedback, fighting with ebay to get the neg removed?

It won't take you any more time or effort to ship the book USPS. Print the label from home, free delivery confirmation, free pickup, and he's out of your life forever. You can block him from now on and he's gone.

Fighting over this gains you nothing. Even if you win your fight you will be in exactly in the same position as you would have been had you shipped it USPS except for all the wasted time, effort and angst.

He's 100% wrong. There's no doubt of that. But you have better things to do with your time.

Best,

Chris

If you let people go around and be wrong all the time, they never learn. They never grow as a human being. How can one NOT not let this go?

Some things need to be driven home, some points have to be made. This really isn't costing Logan anything, it seems. If he has time to chat on a message board, he can spend 10-20 minutes getting stuff straight with eBay.

I am not mad, or bitter. I just want people to act like decent human beings, and this fellow needs guidance.

-slym

I can understand that, but I don't like the idea that this guy can be an individual_without_enough_empathy to me via email and just gets what he wants. Especially when I clearly stated the shipping terms on the auction page, but he decided to bid regardless. I just find it really annoying and I don't think I should have to give in to this guy.

That's the way eBay works now, unfortunately.

Just do what he wants, then name, shame, and block him.

If you let people go around and be wrong all the time, they never learn. They never grow as a human being. How can one NOT not let this go?

Some things need to be driven home, some points have to be made. This really isn't costing Logan anything, it seems. If he has time to chat on a message board, he can spend 10-20 minutes getting stuff straight with eBay.

I am not mad, or bitter. I just want people to act like decent human beings, and this fellow needs guidance.

-slym

I'm with you man. I know people are telling me to do otherwise because it's the easier path and will be less trouble and time. Well, I have the time and I'm from Chicago baby, I'm not taking mess from no one :headbang:

Guys, I get it. No one wants to get bullied around on anything. It makes sense and my first reaction is a lot like some of the views here. :censored: HIM!! :censored: him right in the ear hole!!!

But take a step back and think about it. Life is way too short to waste this much time on fruitless conflict.

This guy is an individual_without_enough_empathy, I totally agree,

However, you have to look at the overall big picture.

How much time are you going to waste fighting with this guy on ebay, fighting over the feedback, fighting with ebay to get the neg removed?

It won't take you any more time or effort to ship the book USPS. Print the label from home, free delivery confirmation, free pickup, and he's out of your life forever. You can block him from now on and he's gone.

Fighting over this gains you nothing. Even if you win your fight you will be in exactly in the same position as you would have been had you shipped it USPS except for all the wasted time, effort and angst.

He's 100% wrong. There's no doubt of that. But you have better things to do with your time.

Best,

Chris

I understand what you're saying but on principle alone I disagree 100%. I've spent my entire life doing exactly the opposite. I don't mind the conflict when it's this trivial. Most people would do as you suggest and just be done with it. Call it pride, ego or whatever but I wouldn't ship it to him the way he wants considering what the OP said about his tone and the fact that he spelled it out in his listing.

For the record, it would be a completely different story for me if the guy had asked politely or given a reason why he doesn't prefer my shipping method. Sorry, but common courtesy is a two way street. And in the end, if the buyer doesn't want to agree to the terms of the listing HE is bound to by bidding and winning, that's his problem. And I will go through the effort to clear my feedback with ebay. I've done it before albeit it has been many years.

The way I look at it is this is a partnership deal. Not a you demand and I bend over and take it up the rear from you.

And like someone else mentioned, how do you know this guy isn't going to just neg you anyway? Then you're left in the same boat, having to defend yourself against an unjust neg.

No way am I going to do that. Another boardie said it already, some people won't change their behavior until you sock them in the face and change it for them.

The way I treat my ebay sellers...even if I make it sound like I'm quick to pull the neg trigger.

If they ship it to me, it gets to me and it's undamaged then they get a positive feedback and highest star ratings.

Since I've been back at buying I haven't had any problems with getting my books in great shape. (fingers crossed, knocking on wood etc.) But if for some reason they did get to me all Eff'd Up! Then I would ask them politely to fix the problem. If they weren't helpful in making the situation right I would then file a claim with Paypal and Neg them.

I think you just gotta trust your seller to do it right the first time.

-slym

I'm with you man. I know people are telling me to do otherwise because it's the easier path and will be less trouble and time. Well, I have the time and I'm from Chicago baby, I'm not taking mess from no one :headbang:

Just out of curiosity, did the buyer pay yet? If he never pays up and leaves a neg, you might be able to get Ebay to remove it. However, if the buyer does pay and leaves you a neg, you have close to 0% of winning the argument with Ebay. Even if you do have the terms stated on your listing, Ebay will always side with the buyer using the argument that successfully delivering the goods to the buyer is fully your responsibility. I completely agree with you that the buyer is a tool and I have already added him to my block list. The question becomes is it worth it to suck down a neg over it when it can be resolved with a lot less headache? Sometimes you just need to swallow your pride and look at the overall picture.

-slym

Just out of curiosity, did the buyer pay yet? If he never pays up and leaves a neg, you might be able to get Ebay to remove it. However, if the buyer does pay and leaves you a neg, you have close to 0% of winning the argument with Ebay. Even if you do have the terms stated on your listing, Ebay will always side with the buyer using the argument that successfully delivering the goods to the buyer is fully your responsibility. I completely agree with you that the buyer is a tool and I have already added him to my block list. The question becomes is it worth it to suck down a neg over it when it can be resolved with a lot less headache? Sometimes you just need to swallow your pride and look at the overall picture.

I would typically agree with that sentiment. I myself would probably choose the path of most resistance but I understand why people would just suck it up and get it done. However, nowadays what is the future of ebay? Been on a there since 2000. Every year I find myself selling less and less. I'm likely buying about the same but as a seller, they've really screwed us over. So in the "big picture" I don't really care all that much about a single neg. I'm sure you can't just tank your feedback without consequences but at this point, if somebody told me I couldn't sell on ebay ever again. I think I might just not give a flying :censored: