• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Page Quality of Comics in CGC Slabs in the Long Term?

58 posts in this topic

Hi folks

Just wondering here.

When CGC designates page quality - they do it at the time it is being slabbed.

How much oxidation and exposure to the elements do these books undergo while in the slab? I don't think it's an airtight seal is it?

The best-kept books from the GA are those that were stored in-between newspaper. I'm thinking the reason is that any oxidation/moisture was absorbed by the surrounding newspaper, thereby leaving the comic book perfectly intact.

The thing is - you put a comic book in a plastic slab, and that protection is no longer possible. Now, I know books from the 80s with white pages were probably not stored in newspaper, but whatever they were stored in (mylar, archival plastic) probably slowed down their oxidation.

Does CGC plastic do the same? I know they have that archival paper inside, but there's no way it would offer the same level of protection the way layers of newspapers would.

So what's the deal? Will books go from W to W/OW to OW to CR/OW etc. in the long run?

Yes, they will. the best method to deal with this scenario would be to:

1. Find a new hobby besides collecting shriveling stapled sheets of paper emblazoned with reproductions of pen and ink drawings

or

2. Sweat less because you'll be gone before you notice or care.

1. Find a new hobby besides collecting shriveling stapled sheets of paper emblazoned with reproductions of pen and ink drawings

or

3. Do an intense analytical study of page quality degradation over the next 100 years. Nows a good time to start. :whistle:

or

In case you missed it, the point of the question is this.

If you want to preserve your books - then is it better just to leave them wrapped in newspaper rather than entomb them in CGC cases which will speed up their deterioration?

If you care about the books, you'll care about their well-being.

or

If you want to preserve your books - then is it better just to leave them wrapped in newspaper rather than entomb them in CGC cases which will speed up their deterioration?

Very Valid Quandary I feel. (thumbs u

One that I have thought about and I know some others have due to similar posts. I know many here say archival paper does what it is supposed to do. But yes, for how long and how well. The same has been said about the inner wells.

I like you worry about the LONG TERM OF SLABBED BOOKS. CGC is still fairly new in its inception. I'm young granted, but I am not just worried about their condition in my lifetime but more importantly MY KIDS! Also I have seen more than a couple slabbed books that have felt that BOTTOM CORNER SYNDROME upon them.

Last January I had around 50 books that I own and have no intent ever selling - reholdered. In a month or so I will be sending another 75. That way I know that all books in my possession were reholdered in 2009. And guess what, in 7 years time or so I will bite the bullett again and send them all in again. I'd rather be safe than sorry with my collection.

I am conservative in my collecting and OCD does play a role in this too. I DON'T believe in "HOPE," so I will do and pay what it takes to preserve them for my kids or someone else's kids.

REHOLDERING COSTS AN ARM AND A LEG, especially when you are sending in a good number of some pricier books. I imagine, the same feeling could be had going down I90 and having all the windows down and opening your wallet upside down and shaking it vigorously.

Any time CGC wants to add a BULK RATE FOR REHOLDERING or something of the sort, it would sure be nice. Cause at this rate I could be buying AF #15 9.0 a ways down the road with my donations.

You guys can think outside the box a little bit.

If you aren't concerned about "damage" to page quality in the books once you own them, then fine. But if the phenomenon does exist, it should influence your buying decisions if you really care what you are paying for.

If there is a question as to the ability for slabs to maintain page quality, then when you pay top dollar to buy your 1976 Bronze-age grail in 9.8 WHITE, you may want to buy one that was slabbed 8 days ago as opposed to one slabbed eight 8 years ago.

It all depends on what environment the books are stored. If the environment is stable and relatively cool, dry and dark then the books should not age any faster in a slab than in mylar. All books age but if the environment is stable they will just age very slowly. The microchamber paper is a key ingridient in slowing the aging process. As long as the paper is changed in a timely manner, there shouldn't be anything to worry about.

Sure.

But for OO books that were stored in newspaper and have survived the last 60 years and still retain their original whiteness, I can't see how slabbing is a better way to preserve them, as compared to their original housing.

For collections that come out of the woodwork (Vancouver comes to mind), I think slabbing them basically ends any guarantee that they will maintain their quality as time goes forward.

Slabbing therefore, ruins these books.

It all depends on what environment the books are stored.

That is true. But the 8day/8year scenario still applies.

You buy a book that was slabbed 8 years ago. You probably don't know the conditions under which it was stored.

If it was slabbed 8 days ago, the conditions probably don't matter.

There are other things too. For a book to survive in 9.8 WHITE for 20, 30, 40 years etc., they were stored under certain protective circumstances. Whatever they were, they managed to preserve the book this long.

You put it in a slab - and even if the slab manages to do a decent job protecting it, had the books been left in their original housing, chances are they would've continued to be preserved.

With the slab, you just don't know.

It all depends on what environment the books are stored.

That is true. But the 8day/8year scenario still applies.

You buy a book that was slabbed 8 years ago. You probably don't know the conditions under which it was stored.

If it was slabbed 8 days ago, the conditions probably don't matter.

There are other things too. For a book to survive in 9.8 WHITE for 20, 30, 40 years etc., they were stored under certain protective circumstances. Whatever they were, they managed to preserve the book this long.

You put it in a slab - and even if the slab manages to do a decent job protecting it, had the books been left in their original housing, chances are they would've continued to be preserved.

With the slab, you just don't know.

The 8 day/year scenario applies to any book you buy that was not purchased off the stands new.

Again, I think it is more the environment than what material they are stored in. You wrap a book in newspaper and store it in the attic of a house in Florida, we'll see how well it stays preserved. The barex inner sleeve of the slab is inert and won't break down and the microchamber paper will absorb off-gases and other things that occur when comic books age.

If you are saying the slab is a detriment to the book it contains, I would disagree.

For collections that come out of the woodwork (Vancouver comes to mind), I think slabbing them basically ends any guarantee that they will maintain their quality as time goes forward.

I'm surprised i can hear you this well, since you are talking out of your azz. (thumbs u

I'm surprised i can hear you this well, since you are talking out of your azz. (thumbs u

+1

or

Yes, books wrapped in newspaper are better protected than in a ventilated plastic shell.... :screwy:

edit: Forgot to ask you which Comic Corral member are ya?