• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Page Quality of Comics in CGC Slabs in the Long Term?

58 posts in this topic

Yes, they will. the best method to deal with this scenario would be to:

1. Find a new hobby besides collecting shriveling stapled sheets of paper emblazoned with reproductions of pen and ink drawings

or

2. Sweat less because you'll be gone before you notice or care.

:( Sad but true

If you are saying the slab is a detriment to the book it contains, I would disagree.

I said we just don't know. Show me a slab that has preserved a white-paged comic book for 40 years.

I'm surprised i can hear you this well, since you are talking out of your azz. (thumbs u

That's really witty. I'll come to you when I need more elementary school insults.

Yes, books wrapped in newspaper are better protected than in a ventilated plastic shell.... :screwy:

Original owner books stored in newspapers don't suffer from SCS.

What is with the hostility here?

Bottom line: Original Owner books from the 1940s that get discovered today with white pages were preserved for these 70 years. We don't know what will become of these books in the next 70 years as they sit in slabs and get sold around the country.

If you are saying the slab is a detriment to the book it contains, I would disagree.

I said we just don't know. Show me a slab that has preserved a white-paged comic book for 40 years.

No. You more or less said that slabbing books is bad with no real proof. I gave you reasons why slabbing books is no different than putting them in mylar. Your question postulates something that can not possibly be proven or disproven. Tell you what, we'll come back here in 40 years and discuss it then. (thumbs u

Impossible as slabs have't even been around for 20 years. But nice try at using the old "but how to do you know he isn't a pedophile" question.

I'm surprised i can hear you this well, since you are talking out of your azz. (thumbs u

That's really witty. I'll come to you when I need more elementary school insults.

That's because instead of asking questions, you are reaching conclusions without any scientific basis or evidence.

Yes, books wrapped in newspaper are better protected than in a ventilated plastic shell.... :screwy:

... so we've gone from paper quality to SCS - great way to prove you are here to ask a question and not push an agenda.

Bottom line: Original Owner books from the 1940s that get discovered today with white pages were preserved for these 70 years. We don't know what will become of these books in the next 70 years as they sit in slabs.

Every month or so I am at our local state gallery, looking through collections, reading through scientific papers on paper conservation and preservation, asking questions of paper experts and looking through these boards (and others) with generally informative and interesting takes on our hobby - you can talk directly to people here who are passionate about this topic, and even CGC (gasp!) will talk to you about any aspect of their slabbing procedure, including the material they use.

One thing you learn when undertaking a scientific discipline is, "never make assumptions". You'll either make mistakes based on incorrect data, or, yeah, as seanfingh said above, you'll likely appear to be speaking through your behind. :foryou:

No. You more or less said that slabbing books is bad with no real proof. I gave you reasons why slabbing books is no different than putting them in mylar. Your question postulates something that can not possibly be proven or disproven. Tell you what, we'll come back here in 40 years and discuss it then. (thumbs u

Where did I say slabbing books was bad? What proof did I give?

The whole basis of my thread is that I'm asking if slabs are safe. Let's not get into a words-in-my-mouth debate.

I do however, take the position that for those rare OO books that have been preserved for 40 years in whatever conditions they were housed in, DID succeed in preserving them for this time.

Slabs, however, don't have any historical track record for preserving books. We already know CGC recommends that they be reholdered every 7 years. We also known SCS occurs (which doesn't have to do with page quality).

I don't take a position on books being more or less better preserved in slabs vs. mylar. They are probably similarish - and the answer depends on material chemistry that I do not know. (Maybe the folks who told me to shove it can share their expertise on the matter...)

I don't see how taking the Curators out of their museum storage conditions has done anything to prolong them.

His reply was sarcastic.

So I replied in kind.

Fair enough... one thing I will agree with you is that CGC slabs aren't perfect for preserving your comics, but then again, nothing is (and especially newspapers).

To preserve paper effectively, the extent to which you will need to go, according to the experts, would be both time and $$$ limiting (especially when taking into account the value of what it is you are trying to preserve).

At the end of the day, the jury is still out on what paper will look like in 300 or even 3000 years under varying conditions and storage methods. One thing for sure, unless you are keeping your comics in supermarket plastic bags next to the heater, then 60 years will do very little to the paper regardless of the preservation method chosen.

Impossible as slabs have't even been around for 20 years. But nice try at using the old "but how to do you know he isn't a pedophile" question.

Yes - but I can show you books that have been stored outside of slabs, and they remain as new as day.

That's because instead of asking questions, you are reaching conclusions without any scientific basis or evidence.

I'm arguing a hypothesis. What conclusions have I come to?

... so we've gone from paper quality to SCS - great way to prove you are here to ask a question and not push an agenda.

As I said, his reply was sarcastic. So I did the same.

Bottom line: Original Owner books from the 1940s that get discovered today with white pages were preserved for these 70 years. We don't know what will become of these books in the next 70 years as they sit in slabs.

Every month or so I am at our local state gallery, looking through collections, reading through scientific papers on paper conservation and preservation, asking questions of paper experts and looking through these boards (and others) with generally informative and interesting takes on our hobby - you can talk directly to people here who are passionate about this topic, and even CGC (gasp!) will talk to you about any aspect of their slabbing procedure, including the material they use.

One thing you learn when undertaking a scientific discipline is, "never make assumptions". You'll either make mistakes based on incorrect data, or, yeah, as seanfingh said above, you'll likely appear to be speaking through your behind. :foryou:

The world is round. Whoever said that first was also speaking through their behind.

For collections that come out of the woodwork (Vancouver comes to mind), I think slabbing them basically ends any guarantee that they will maintain their quality as time goes forward.

Slabbing therefore, ruins these books.

How is that not saying "slabbing books are bad"?

You're not asking whether slabs are safe - you're pushing a point of view which says "wrapping books in newspaper is good, putting books in slabs is bad", and seeing that you're not bringing any factual evidence to the table you are, as sean so succinctly puts it, talking out of your azz.

Where did I say slabbing books was bad? What proof did I give?

Umm, right here.

For collections that come out of the woodwork (Vancouver comes to mind), I think slabbing them basically ends any guarantee that they will maintain their quality as time goes forward.

Slabbing therefore, ruins these books.

It is not the slab that might ruin it. It would be the less than ideal suroundings.

The world is round. Whoever said that first was also speaking through their behind.

Absolutely - so share with us your thoughts on why you feel newspapers are better than CGC slabs. And then go and ask three paper experts on whether they agree with your assumptions. Unless you feel the current knowledge in paper conservation/preservation is wrong and you are the new Pythagoras.

(thumbs u

I am more tha happy with my slabs. the envioroment in which the books are more important than the case/paper they are kept. Al good intentions can be ruined by a less that perfect environment for keeping books.