• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Collecting things other then comics.

891 posts in this topic

I like the way you have the movie posters framed nicely. So many times we keep things in boxes and never enjoy them. Speaking of the movie Shane, I have a painting Jack Palance did. Check it out. He was a pretty good artist and painted almost every day according to his wife. You'd never imagine that such a tough guy would be a poet and an artist on the side.

He used to live near me in Pennsylvania. He had a farm in the valley below where I live. Once a guy told me that when he was a kid, he was goofing around in the woods and got lost. He finally came out in a farm field. A guy on a horse approached him. The sun was behind him and the figure was back lit. "Can I HELP you?" this eerie voice asked. The kid almost crapped in his pants right there figuring he was a goner. "I'm LOST siiii sssiii, SIR!" he answered. "Follow me," the horseman said. The intimidating rider was Jack Palance.

Great story I thought to myself.

PalancePainting.jpg

Looking at your John Wayne Iwo Jima poster. Did you know John Wayne's beret from the movie The Green Berets sold for like 179,000 in a Heritage Auction? I think that was the price anyway. Like those beatniks used to say, "Crazy man, CRAZY."

Jack

I agree. Barney Google and Spark Plug! That is the most awesome one of all the games posted!

(thumbs u

Thanks.

This period of games, the late 20s and early/mid 30s, are great to own even if just for the boxes and/or game boards.

Thanks,

I have to agree, these games from the 20's & 30's have an artistic quality that is not often matched in recent times.

As I was taking the photo's of the Barney Google and Spark Plug game, I noticed a bit of "Katzenjammer" speak by the elderly gentlemen, with his comment "chust vun minute". I had the impression that ol Sparkplug was far more likely to find his way into the glue factory than the finish line.

One wonders if the Flying Four game is almost more of a celebration of the feat in crossing the Atlantic, than it was an actual board game.

I have a couple more recent game also.

I could not find a copyright date for the High Stakes game, but I think it dates from the mid to late 70's. Despite it's recent origin these do not seem to appear for sale on E-Bay to frequently.

DSCN1024.jpg

The Cheers game was published in 1992, which was one year before the show ended. Note they even have all of the regular's seats at the bar noted on the game board.

DSCN1025.jpg

I have a enormous collection of television Horror Host shows. I got so many it's unbelievable.

I'll just name a bunch and see if you recognize any from your home town.

Goulardi

The Ghoul

Svengoolie (Jerry G Bishop) Screaming Yellow Theater

Son of Svengoolie

Commander USA

Super Scary Saturday with Grandpa Munster

Creature Features (Chicago)

Creature Feature (6 fingered hand)

Fritz the Nite Owl

Paul Bearer

Sammy Terry

Marvin & Dear (Shock Theatre)

Zacherley

Roland

Stella

Dr. Gangrene

Morgue The Magnificent

M.T. Graves

Count Gor De Vol

Elvira

Monster Vision with Joe Bob Briggs

TNT,s 100% Weird

And many many more. If they were on television, I got um.

Was collecting these guys way back when. Before video tape (Beta) I had to find people that

recorded these old shows on 8 & super 8 film. Not an easy thing to do before Internet. But incredibly I did it somehow.

I take it that you just have a sampling of each. Are they all now readily available on DVD?

???

damonwad,

Fantastic group of movie posters. :headbang:

I also have a very small collection of science fiction paperback from the 50's, if anyone is interested I can post some more.

I was/am a fan of Norton, Asimov, Clarke, Heinlein, Bradbury and many more sci-fi authors.

STRBRN.jpg

Cool book!

I just got back into reading old sci-fi paperbacks. It's been a blast. I have purchased about 60 books in the last couple months. I'm reading a book called Wolfbane right now by Frederik Pohl and C.M. Kornbluth. A few of the similarities between Wolfbane and the Matrix cannot be coincidental.

Anyhow, I'd be interested in seeing more of your collection.

I have a enormous collection of television Horror Host shows. I got so many it's unbelievable.

Was collecting these guys way back when. Before video tape (Beta) I had to find people that

recorded these old shows on 8 & super 8 film. Not an easy thing to do before Internet. But incredibly I did it somehow.

That's a cool hobby. (thumbs u Such an enormous part of childhood.

Here's a youtube of who DFW had in the sixties, Nightmare with Bill Camfield. The guy was a giant among North Texas kids. Viewing it now it still seems pretty intense for children's fare, but we loved it. :eek::cloud9:

damonwad,

I also have a very small collection of science fiction paperback from the 50's, if anyone is interested I can post some more.

I was/am a fan of Norton, Asimov, Clarke, Heinlein, Bradbury and many more sci-fi authors.

STRBRN.jpg

Cool book!

I just got back into reading old sci-fi paperbacks. It's been a blast. I have purchased about 60 books in the last couple months. I'm reading a book called Wolfbane right now by Frederik Pohl and C.M. Kornbluth. A few of the similarities between Wolfbane and the Matrix cannot be coincidental.

Thanks,

I have a few more.

GAL_DER.jpg

CRS_TIM.jpg

DAY_BRK.jpg

Cover From the 60'S - Originally written in the early 50's. A must have IMHO for sci-fi fans.

FNDTN1.jpg

Originally written in 1952, this edition is from 1971.

CU_SPAC.jpg

The Cross Roads of Time, this cover is from 1980.

CRS_TIM_01.jpg

Thanks all for the comments on the movie posters.

That's a great Jack Palance story multicynic.

Yes, frozentundraguy, I would like to see more of the paperbacks. I always make a point to check out the older pb's in the sci-fi section of used book stores.

I'll just name a bunch and see if you recognize any from your home town.

Goulardi

The Ghoul

Svengoolie (Jerry G Bishop) Screaming Yellow Theater

Son of Svengoolie

Commander USA

Super Scary Saturday with Grandpa Munster

Creature Features (Chicago)

Creature Feature (6 fingered hand)

Fritz the Nite Owl

Paul Bearer

Sammy Terry

Marvin & Dear (Shock Theatre)

Zacherley

Roland

Stella

Dr. Gangrene

Morgue The Magnificent

M.T. Graves

Count Gor De Vol

Elvira

Monster Vision with Joe Bob Briggs

TNT,s 100% Weird

And many many more. If they were on television, I got um.

Great collection. I haven't thought of this in many years, but can barely recall watching something called Sinister Cinema (?) in the Portland, OR area around the mid 70's.

I think the host had a black beard. I was probably only 8 or 9 years old but still remember looking forward to getting scared every week.

damonwad,

STRBRN.jpg

Cool book!

Thanks,

I have a few more.

GAL_DER.jpg

CRS_TIM.jpg

DAY_BRK.jpg

Cover From the 60'S - Originally written in the early 50's. A must have IMHO for sci-fi fans.

FNDTN1.jpg

CU_SPAC.jpg

CRS_TIM_01.jpg

I haven't read anything by Norton, but her Witch World series is supposed to be very good. Thanks for posting a few more.

I just read through this thread yesterday and loved seeing all the great items. I especially enjoyed the historical items and the early board games.

Here are some photos of my slowly growing movie poster collection. (Sorry in advance for all the photos.)

IMG_0216.jpg

IMG_0222.jpg

IMG_0221.jpg

IMG_0228.jpg

IMG_0233.jpg

IMG_0235.jpg

Gorgeous posters! :applause:

damonwad,

STRBRN.jpg

Cool book!

Thanks,

I have a few more.

GAL_DER.jpg

CRS_TIM.jpg

DAY_BRK.jpg

FNDTN1.jpg

CU_SPAC.jpg

CRS_TIM_01.jpg

I haven't read anything by Norton, but her Witch World series is supposed to be very good. Thanks for posting a few more.

I particularily enjoyed Norton's books like "The Time Traders", "The Stars are Ours", "The Defiant Agents", "Galactic Derelict", "Star Born" and the like as a teen.

I have a few more. These are mostly much more recent.

HOS_SIM.jpg

Some newer authors have picked up and added to Asimov's Foundation series, I thought I had one but cannot seem to locate it. (shrug)

FE_ASV.jpg

ETR_ASV.jpg

Baxter has picked up where the old Sci-fi masters left off. (thumbs u

TMS_BAX.jpg

FND_ASV.jpg

Simak wrote quite a few books where the action took place in Minnesota. :gossip:

TH_WALK.jpg

ships.jpg

I hope to eventually have all the Franklin Mint Star Trek ships, but the remaining ones tend to be a bit too expensive...

Cool!

How expensive?

The ones that are left, for the most part, are going for about $300-$500 each on eBay.

Enterprise 1701-E, Enterprise 1701-A (not the original 1701), Enterprise NX-01, for example, regularly sell for well over $300. The ones I have can easily be found for under $200 or even under $100 a piece.

Wow...You guys have some very remarkable and historical stuff!!

I collect all kinds of stuff,

Firearms

Comics

Star Wars Toys

Even owned a hotrod or three.

Anyhow, here is one of my favorite pieces outside of my comics. It's a Model 1816 Springfield dated 1827. This flintlock was sold by the United States to the Republic of Texas and was shortened by a couple feet. I originally found it through an antique dealer in Tucson and he secured it from a private collector who bought it from a small South Texas museum. There was two but I could only aford one. These rifles was also mentioned in a book titled Gun Smoke and Leather Saddles...their picture listed is that of th other rifle.

smf018.jpg

DSCN2408.jpg

Great looking game, Mark. :applause:

Are the graphics on the board similar to those on the box?

I don't have a lot of games in my collection but I do pick them up occasionally. Here are a few of them.

philipmarlowe.jpg

Philip Marlowe (1960)

princevaliant.jpg

Prince Valiant (1955)

kennedys.jpg

The Kennedys (1962)

goldfinger.jpg

Goldfinger (1966)

callingallcars.jpg

Calling All Cars (1940's)

spotaplane.jpg

Spot-a-plane (1942)