• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Collecting things other then comics.

891 posts in this topic

That's a tough one. I try to give stuff away that I could live without every day. Today it was a bunch of coverless Donald Duck comics to my Barber for the kids to read as they wait for a haircut. Remember reading comics at the barbers?

I sure do!

Tomorrow I am giving a talk for career day for 3rd graders and discussing being a spy lawyer and part-time comic book dealer. Because I do not have any spy gear to give away, I am giving each kid 3 comic books courtesy of Big Planet Comics in Bethesda, MD! Hopefully we will have some new collectors in our midst soon! (thumbs u

That's great Mark. You're a good man. When Jonathan was teaching Special Ed Emotional Support, I was coming home with all kinds of junk from flea markets. "For the KIDS," I'd tell Julie. The last two years he has severely handicapped so it's tougher to find things and there are many more safety concerns.

That's just heartbreaking. Those poor kids. My wife always trys to remind me how lucky we all are. It's a tough world out there in many ways.

Boy oh boy, I wish I could be there for your spy lecture. I can hear the kids now...

"Mister Zaid is COOL!" My kids friends always thought I was a "Kook."

Good luck and have fun. And make sure you give away the comics at the end or they won't pay attention to you. lol.

Jack

They loved it! There is now a room full of third graders who want to be spies and read comics! lol

Mark, you are a great representative for our great hobby,because there are people like you our hobby will thrive for many years to come. (worship)

+1

One more board game for tonight. I have a few more to share, :juggle: later

Double Board Game @ 1926

DSCN1020.jpg

Love the old games Frozen!!!!

I just recently bought the 2000 edition of "American Games: Comprehensive Collector's Guide" by Alex G. Malloy. I has me hooked on these old games now, especially because it has color photos of hundreds of old games from the 18th - 20th century.

If you're digging old board games and appreciate color photos of them, look for the two books by Desi Scarponi. They are filled with literally thousands of photos of old board games. I'm pretty sure Scarponi has the largest collection of board games in the world, and he is a pretty nice guy. i've corresponded with him via email a couple of times.

Here is a link to an interview with him that I found:

http://coolandcollected.com/collector-profile-desi-scarpone/

...which also deals with some of the other things that he collects (notice how nicely that fits with this thread! :grin: ) and I thought this part would be of particular interest to boardies:

"I guess I can share a BAD collecting experience. Growing up, I collected Comic Books, and I had a large collection. As I got older, I was pressured by my Mom and girlfriend to sell them, and “be a man”. I eventually relented, sold them, and bought a car…I had entire runs of Fantastic Four #1 through date, X-Men #1 (mint) through date, etc…If I had them now, I could have bought a freaking HOUSE. The point is, I didn’t want to sell them, I had no reason to sell them…Because of this, I’m pretty resistant to pressure to sell my collection now."

Thanks for the info Jdjunker & esquirecomics,

I have not devoted a lot of research time yet to old board games, but will eventually. I recall the countless hours as a kid and beyond playing board games.

One note on the "Double Board game". It's actually three games in one, Baseball, Football & Checkers. They could have named it "Triple Board game"! (shrug)

That's a tough one. I try to give stuff away that I could live without every day. Today it was a bunch of coverless Donald Duck comics to my Barber for the kids to read as they wait for a haircut. Remember reading comics at the barbers?

I sure do!

Tomorrow I am giving a talk for career day for 3rd graders and discussing being a spy lawyer and part-time comic book dealer. Because I do not have any spy gear to give away, I am giving each kid 3 comic books courtesy of Big Planet Comics in Bethesda, MD! Hopefully we will have some new collectors in our midst soon! (thumbs u

That's great Mark. You're a good man. When Jonathan was teaching Special Ed Emotional Support, I was coming home with all kinds of junk from flea markets. "For the KIDS," I'd tell Julie. The last two years he has severely handicapped so it's tougher to find things and there are many more safety concerns.

That's just heartbreaking. Those poor kids. My wife always trys to remind me how lucky we all are. It's a tough world out there in many ways.

Boy oh boy, I wish I could be there for your spy lecture. I can hear the kids now...

"Mister Zaid is COOL!" My kids friends always thought I was a "Kook."

Good luck and have fun. And make sure you give away the comics at the end or they won't pay attention to you. lol.

Jack

They loved it! There is now a room full of third graders who want to be spies and read comics! lol

Mark, you are a great representative for our great hobby,because there are people like you our hobby will thrive for many years to come. (worship)

+1

You guys are very kind. :hi:

If you're digging old board games and appreciate color photos of them, look for the two books by Desi Scarponi. They are filled with literally thousands of photos of old board games.

Here are Desi Scarpone's books on board games:

51VSYSXFTXL._SS500_.jpg

51WK2JGWYAL._SS500_.jpg

615J70JEBEL._SS500_.jpg

The second is a revised edition of the first. These books that I have by Rick Polizzi are also excellent. While not as comprehensive as Scarpone's tomes, they make for better reading.

1654739.gif

61PTZ7PDZBL._SS500_.jpg

I guess I can share a BAD collecting experience. Growing up, I collected Comic Books, and I had a large collection. As I got older, I was pressured by my Mom and girlfriend to sell them, and “be a man”. I eventually relented, sold them, and bought a car…I had entire runs of Fantastic Four #1 through date, X-Men #1 (mint) through date, etc…If I had them now, I could have bought a freaking HOUSE. The point is, I didn’t want to sell them, I had no reason to sell them…Because of this, I’m pretty resistant to pressure to sell my collection now.

Now I understand that women are preconditioned genetically to think that any activity that is outside the sphere of reproduction/relationships must be a subsidiary activity. It's a biological imperative. It's why they're always going on about maturity and growth in relationships, i.e. marriage, kids. What puzzles me though is why men don't immediately respond to such condescending remarks concerning their other interests with hard, angry stares. It's as if they're all too easily browbeaten into accepting the daytime television worldview of Oprah and company as correct.

rantrant

If you're digging old board games and appreciate color photos of them, look for the two books by Desi Scarponi. They are filled with literally thousands of photos of old board games.

51VSYSXFTXL._SS500_.jpg

51WK2JGWYAL._SS500_.jpg

615J70JEBEL._SS500_.jpg

The second is a revised edition of the first. These books that I have by Rick Polizzi are also excellent. While not as comprehensive as Scarpone's tomes, they make for better reading.

1654739.gif

61PTZ7PDZBL._SS500_.jpg

I guess I can share a BAD collecting experience. Growing up, I collected Comic Books, and I had a large collection. As I got older, I was pressured by my Mom and girlfriend to sell them, and “be a man”. I eventually relented, sold them, and bought a car…I had entire runs of Fantastic Four #1 through date, X-Men #1 (mint) through date, etc…If I had them now, I could have bought a freaking HOUSE. The point is, I didn’t want to sell them, I had no reason to sell them…Because of this, I’m pretty resistant to pressure to sell my collection now.

Now I understand that women are preconditioned genetically to think that any activity that is outside the sphere of reproduction/relationships must be a subsidiary activity. It's a biological imperative. It's why they're always going on about maturity and growth in relationships, i.e. marriage, kids. What puzzles me though is why men don't immediately respond to such condescending remarks concerning their other interests with hard, angry stares. It's as if they're all too easily browbeaten into accepting the daytime television worldview of Oprah and company as correct.

rantrant

Hepcat,

Thanks for sharing more information on the Scarpone books and the book by Polizzi.

As far as being too easily browbeaten by women.. shhhush, I'd like to think I'm pretty resiliant. :gossip:

bopping.gif

51VSYSXFTXL._SS500_.jpg

51WK2JGWYAL._SS500_.jpg

615J70JEBEL._SS500_.jpg

1654739.gif

61PTZ7PDZBL._SS500_.jpg

rantrant

Sigh, because of you guys I ended up placing bids on about 20 or 30 board games tonight. doh!:slapfight: (thumbs u

Sigh, because of you guys I ended up placing bids on about 20 or 30 board games tonight. doh!:slapfight: (thumbs u

Cool, keep us posted on what you wind up winning! (thumbs u

Three more games. Baseball games appear to have been popular back in the 20's.

I can recall the kid next door and I each made our own baseball game. You simply took a piece of carboard and drew a circle. Inside the circle you drew lines radiating from the center and labelled each as ball, strike, single, double, home run and so on. Then you punched a hole in the center and found a paper clip to use as the spinner. Oh, you also had to make up a score sheet to tally the runs for each "inning".

DSCN1008.jpg

Roly Poly from the 20's

DSCN1010.jpg

DSCN1011.jpg

Follow the Stars @ 1922

DSCN1009.jpg -posted

Hepcat,

Thanks for sharing more information on the Scarpone books and the book by Polizzi.

There are two books there by Polizzi.

Well I hope you MANUP with strong enough bids to win them all!

;)

Hepcat,

;)

Dang, I need to learn how to count. :tonofbricks:

Ok one more game for tonight. I'm saving the one I think is the best until later. :devil:

Barney Google and Spark Plug @ 1923

DSCN1018.jpg

DSCN1021.jpg

Hepcat,

;)

Ok one more game for tonight. I'm saving the one I think is the best until later. :devil:

DSCN1018.jpg

DSCN1021.jpg

This one is awesome! :applause:

Hepcat,

;)

DSCN1018.jpg

DSCN1021.jpg

This one is awesome! :applause:

Thanks,

This game has a pretty strong cross over with comic book collecting. A quick check of the OPG shows that Barney Google & Snuffy Smith did not start until 1942 as a regular comic. The platinum section has the first issue of Barney Google and Spark Plug in 1923. This early series ran for 6 issues.

I agree. Barney Google and Spark Plug! That is the most awesome one of all the games posted!

(thumbs u

Thanks.

I bought a book by Malloy today on E-bay, and will keep an eye out for the Scarponi books as well.

Heres the game I have been leading up to.

The Flying Four @ 1927 by Parker Brothers.

You start the game as a pilot in training, and then move on to delivering the mail via plane. Halfway through the game you leave to fly across the Atlantic to Paris.

I have searched E-bay off an on for around two years now and never seen one for sale.

The directions and game pieces.

DSCN1023.jpg

The game box:

FL4_box.jpg

The board:

FL4_B1.jpg

Close up of the board:

FL4_B2.jpg

It doesn't get any better than spies and comics. Well, maybe a little but that's as close to nirvana you can get. Maybe, women, spies and comics. Rockets too.

Jack

I agree. Barney Google and Spark Plug! That is the most awesome one of all the games posted!

(thumbs u

Thanks.

I bought a book by Malloy today on E-bay, and will keep an eye out for the Scarponi books as well.

Heres the game I have been leading up to.

The Flying Four @ 1927 by Parker Brothers.

You start the game as a pilot in training, and then move on to delivering the mail via plane. Halfway through the game you leave to fly across the Atlantic to Paris.

I have searched E-bay off an on for around two years now and never seen one for sale.

The directions and game pieces.

DSCN1023.jpg

The game box:

FL4_box.jpg

The board:

FL4_B1.jpg

Close up of the board:

FL4_B2.jpg

This period of games, the late 20s and early/mid 30s, are great to own even if just for the boxes and/or game boards.

I just read through this thread yesterday and loved seeing all the great items. I especially enjoyed the historical items and the early board games.

Here are some photos of my slowly growing movie poster collection. (Sorry in advance for all the photos.)

IMG_0216.jpg

IMG_0222.jpg

IMG_0221.jpg

IMG_0228.jpg

IMG_0233.jpg

IMG_0235.jpg

I have a enormous collection of television Horror Host shows. I got so many it's unbelievable.

I'll just name a bunch and see if you recognize any from your home town.

Goulardi

The Ghoul

Svengoolie (Jerry G Bishop) Screaming Yellow Theater

Son of Svengoolie

Commander USA

Super Scary Saturday with Grandpa Munster

Creature Features (Chicago)

Creature Feature (6 fingered hand)

Fritz the Nite Owl

Paul Bearer

Sammy Terry

Marvin & Dear (Shock Theatre)

Zacherley

Roland

Stella

Dr. Gangrene

Morgue The Magnificent

M.T. Graves

Count Gor De Vol

Elvira

Monster Vision with Joe Bob Briggs

TNT,s 100% Weird

And many many more. If they were on television, I got um.

Was collecting these guys way back when. Before video tape (Beta) I had to find people that

recorded these old shows on 8 & super 8 film. Not an easy thing to do before Internet. But incredibly I did it somehow.

damonwad,

Fantastic group of movie posters. :headbang:

I also have a very small collection of science fiction paperback from the 50's, if anyone is interested I can post some more.

I was/am a fan of Norton, Asimov, Clarke, Heinlein, Bradbury and many more sci-fi authors.

STRBRN.jpg

I remember something akin to this a few years ago. My cousin who was about 12 was visiting and he brought a friend who was about 11. I asked his friend about comic books. The kid said he had never read one. I gave him a Superman book from the late 70's & man did that kid's eyes light up. :grin: I gave my cousin a book also, but he already had about 20 or so, that I had already given him

Now you are cooking. Good job there Frozentundraguy.

James Bama cover for a Louis L'Amore western cover titled The Broken Gun. Look at the detail. I am constantly amazed by the quality his work. Check out the stitch marks in his pants and shirt. I remember the day I got it, driving home and glancing at it while it sat on the front seat with the sun making it glow.

Jack

BrokenGun.jpg