• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Collecting things other then comics.

891 posts in this topic

I have a ton of video games. Not vintage either, mostly 360 and ps3. I'm pretty sure I have over 100 PS3 games.

Don't know if that applies to this thread, as I'm not purposely trying to collect them. I buy what I'm interested in playing, but I can't find the time to play them.

I'm disappointed by the lack of coins being posted :(

Coins aren't for collecting.

Coins are for spending

I'm glad some people spent these in the 1800's, otherwise I would never been able to dig them up. My favorite, although not the most valuable, is the 1861-O half as a majority of them were minted after the Confederates took over the New Orleans branch of the Mint.

NorthFieldobverse-resized.jpg

I just got a nice coin on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290451633757?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Coins are for spending

I'm glad some people spent these in the 1800's, otherwise I would never been able to dig them up. My favorite, although not the most valuable, is the 1861-O half as a majority of them were minted after the Confederates took over the New Orleans branch of the Mint.

Those are cool. Where did you dig them up?

Coins are for spending

Those are cool. Where did you dig them up?

My dad and I dug them up starting in 1996 up to 2005. It may look like a lot but I will tell you if we found two coins in a single evening we were doing good. Some times we would go four or five days without a coin. But it is fun to do.

This was in the field you see here with the firetruck in it. This was originally suppose to be my home town, but the depot was placed a mile or so west so this place died out. Just beyond the firetruck you see corn stalks. That small area had an Inn, saw mill, and houses back in the 1800's. My farm cannot be seen in this picture but it is to the right.

Fire01.jpg

Oh, and the reason for the firetruck you can see in the next picture, taken by my neighbor. He calls me up and says "Umm, your field's on fire and there's firetrucks out here." I told him they should let it burn. I rent this land out and there was a guy doing some soil testing and his catalytic converter on his truck started the fire when it touched some corn stalks. The corn had been picked a few weeks prior. The truck on the right is parked on the old railroad bed.

I was kind of mad that they put it out before it reached the road. It was a calm day and it would not have jumped the road and had they let it burn it would have gotten the stalks out of the way so I could metal detect easier.

Fire02.jpg

Would love to see some pics of....well....pretty much everything.

Go here:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=4756634&fpart=298

That's where I started. I then continued here:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5183541&fpart=1

In addition since last December I've posted well over a thousand scans of individual comics of mine, mainly in the Silver Age and Golden Age forums.

(shrug)

Nerfman, Nerf Critters, Nerf Mobiles

Pinball Machines (much heavier than comics)

009.jpg[/img]

008.jpg[/img]

Sweet looking pinballs. I try to stick mainly to 60's/70's machines but I would buy an Alien and Black Knight from the 80's if I could find the room to store them.

Just sweet.

My line-up included Bobby Orr Power Play, Mata Hari, a DE Batman, Jive Time (one of my favorites, even though everyone detests it), and a Embryon on the way.

Coins are for spending

Cool stuff! I have a detector someone has lent me & at some point I aim to get down to a beach & poke around with it lol Not really planning on finding anything but I get the view & the exercise & the fun all at the same time :)

-Records (punk,garage,sixties)

Me too, although I collect a wider genre range than that.

These photos are a little old, the shelves are much more packed than that now.

recordroom003.jpg

recordroom006.jpg

recordroom009.jpg

Mark Zaid has a collection that historians can only dream about. I am fascinated by his interest in both comics and history.

Lately, I've been more intrigued in the space program than anything. Items flown to the Moon, NASA worker's badges, etc. etc.

One day a woman from Houston called me. "I have two napkins with autographs on them," she said. "One is signed by Werhner Von Braun (German Rocket Scientist) and the other by Chet Huntly." (NBC News Anchor/Huntly and Brinkley).

She went on to tell me that she was a school teacher in Titusville, Florida during the 1960's, and quit to work at the space center. To suppliment her income, she worked at a Place called "Wolfies" which was a restaurant /deli in the Ramada Inn Cocoa Beach if I recall. Gus Grissom took a Wolfies corned beef sandwich on a Gemini flight one time and caught heck for it. Needless to say, it was a popular place.

Anyway, one night in walks Werhner Von Braun and Chet Huntley to have dinner. She was a hostess at the time. Von Braun signed one napkin for her and Chet Huntley signed another, although Huntley personalized it to her which kind of kills the value (unless you have a story like this to go with it). The neat thing is that Wolfie's napkins has this neat looking cartoon wolf standing up picking his teeth with a bone. Both have cigarette stains and a burn mark and smell like smoke. BUT, even though it's only napkins, they represent a moment in time. Just cool stuff.

Lately I started collecting Rolling Stones Records. (Funny as I don't even have a turntable). I only buy first pressings and only sealed ones. My daughter Jill likes music so I get her stuff also. She is in college and prefers to actually listen to them.

I try and keep my "investment" mentality intact.

My wife always says, "What NEXT?"

Let's see, so far it was.

Civil War items

World War Two Vet Bringbacks

Vietnam MACV SOG

Vietnam painted Helicopter helmets

Comics

Pulps

WW2 Composition Toy Soldiers

Star Wars Toys with my son

I went through a Mickey Mantle phase

Original Doc Savage Paintings

Jim Bama non Doc Savage paintings

Religious Statues

Comic Art

1960's G.I. Joe, etc. etc. etc.

I better stop now. There are several great books on the insanity of collecting that I've read which describe me to a T. I don't think the collecting community or Auction Houses want you to read them though.

It's all fun stuff.

Best Wishes,

Jack Juka

There are several great books on the insanity of collecting that I've read which describe me to a T. I don't think the collecting community or Auction Houses want you to read them though.

There is a rather depressing film on record collectors called Vinyl. It presents them as a fairly dismal bunch. It's a pretty low budget doco but has a kind of pathetic charm.

One day a woman from Houston called me. "I have two napkins with autographs on them," she said. "One is signed by Werhner Von Braun (German Rocket Scientist) and the other by Chet Huntly." (NBC News Anchor/Huntly and Brinkley).

She went on to tell me that she was a school teacher in Titusville, Florida during the 1960's, and quit to work at the space center. To suppliment her income, she worked at a Place called "Wolfies" which was a restaurant /deli in the Ramada Inn Cocoa Beach if I recall. Gus Grissom took a Wolfies corned beef sandwich on a Gemini flight one time and caught heck for it. Needless to say, it was a popular place.

Wow! What a blast from the past!

My friends and I used to cross A1A (we weren't supposed to) and sneak into the pool at the Ramada.

When our parents took my Sis and me to Wolfie's, we would get a free astronaut "mask". A paper mask with a cutout for the nose type thing. Yeah, a lot of the Mercury Seven guys went there a lot.

I haven't thought about that place for years, thanks for the memories!

There are several great books on the insanity of collecting that I've read which describe me to a T. I don't think the collecting community or Auction Houses want you to read them though.

There is a rather depressing film on record collectors called Vinyl. It presents them as a fairly dismal bunch. It's a pretty low budget doco but has a kind of pathetic charm.

I'd like to see it. "Pathetic Charm" is good. lol.

I'd like to see the "Dismal Bunch" also.

Guess who is a big record collector? Robert Crumb. He collects 78 RPM oddball stuff.

I'm just learning about it now. I tend to gravitate towards things I had as a kid anyway, so maybe Beatles and Stones will be it. From what I hear, they are pretty easy to sell if things go south.

My friends and I used to cross A1A (we weren't supposed to) and sneak into the pool at the Ramada.

When our parents took my Sis and I to Wolfie's, we would get a free astronaut "mask". A paper mask with a cutout for the nose type thing. Yeah, a lot of the Mercury Seven guys went there a lot.

You're welcome! Memories are what it's all about.

That must have been cool growing up there. I actually ended up buying a place in Titusville. On the Indian River right across from the Space Center. People were moving out because they think the program is dead, and I move in. My wife thought I had lost my mind.

So, how many rockets do you remember seeing go up when you lived there? I swear that's the coolest thing I've ever seen in my life.

Jack

Guess who is a big record collector? Robert Crumb. He collects 78 RPM oddball stuff.

He's very well known amongst record collectors for his collection of shellac. By all accounts he has some extraordinarily rare items.

I'm just learning about it now. I tend to gravitate towards things I had as a kid anyway, so maybe Beatles and Stones will be it. From what I hear, they are pretty easy to sell if things go south.

But as with comics, condition is the crucial consideration if you want to get good money.

The real dollars are made with northern soul records, it's unbelievable what some of those go for. Old blues, such as what Crumb collects, is also pretty valuable. Score the right Robert Johnson record and you might get Keith Richards and Eric Clapton to go head to head in a bidding war.

When our parents took my Sis and me to Wolfie's, we would get a free astronaut "mask". A paper mask with a cutout for the nose type thing. Yeah, a lot of the Mercury Seven guys went there a lot.

You're welcome! Memories are what it's all about.

That must have been cool growing up there. I actually ended up buying a place in Titusville. On the Indian River right across from the Space Center. People were moving out because they think the program is dead, and I move in. My wife thought I had lost my mind.

So, how many rockets do you remember seeing go up when you lived there? I swear that's the coolest thing I've ever seen in my life.

Jack

I used to work for awhile up in Titusville at the Courthouse. Also worked at Oak Hill Tree Farm just north of Mims.

We lived in Cocoa Beach, then moved down to Indian Harbour Beach in '66.

I got to see the last half of the Mercury flights (missed the first 2 or 3), all of the Gemini, and all of the Apollo missions.

There were lots and lots of other launches as well, test flights, satellites (like Telstar), and lots and lots of weapon testing (Polaris, Minuteman(s), Poseidon, Trident, etc.)

There were literally sometimes hundreds of launches per year, it got to be we'd be walking down the street and "Hey look, another bird".

The manned flight were always exciting. You could feel that Saturn V rocket miles away, the earth would tremble. Everyone on the Beach would hold their breath at the same time upon ignition, and until the first stage dropped off and the second stage cut in no one would breath. At least that's how I remember it.

I missed all the Shuttle launches, moved to California in 1981.

--Did you get to see any Shuttle missions? Many launches happening nowadays?

have you gone to Canaveral Jetty to see any flights? That was one of the best places if I remember.

-David

Pinball Machines (much heavier than comics)

009.jpg[/img]

008.jpg

Other collections for me include Pinball....

AllMachines.jpg

I envy you fellows with the pinball machines. They're just too cool!

Are you aware of the Pinball Hall of Fame in Las Vegas?

Pinball Hall of Fame

Here are some of my own musings on my favourite pinball machines:

http://www.universalmonsterarmy.com/forum/index.php?topic=13734.0

:headbang: