• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

And people wonder why folks get a little bit peeved...

1,324 posts in this topic

Does OCD ever enter into any pressing thread ?? I'd love to be 21 years old

again, and find the perfect virgin to wife, and since Evans is busy, I guess

my dream of an untainted virgin has been tarnished by other men looking

at all the women in the world, well mostly.

Not sure what you are asking there, Phil.

But just so you know, I haven't been 21 for a very long time.

It looks like he's stating that you are no longer 21 year old virgin wife material.

Does OCD ever enter into any pressing thread ?? I'd love to be 21 years old

again, and find the perfect virgin to wife, and since Evans is busy, I guess

my dream of an untainted virgin has been tarnished by other men looking

at all the women in the world, well mostly.

Not sure what you are asking there, Phil.

But just so you know, I haven't been 21 for a very long time.

but you're still a dateless comic nerd virgin

Pressing sarcasm...when all else fails. :cloud9:

I understand your point about the sarcasm, but seriously. When I was a teenager I drove a '76 Monte Carlo with leather interior. I would buy comics and keep them in the back, go and play a couple hours of basketball and come back and the interior of that sumperson_without_enough_empathy would be about 160 degrees. I know I am not the only one.

And what about books that were stored in the South, West or Midwest without climate control? A lot of books have had a lot of heat applied to them. Isn't it possible that the purported damage is being overstated?

Isn't also true that the lack of damage is being understated?

I don't know, but I've never had a comic disintegrate in my hands, or spontaneously combust.

I've never seen a trimmed or color-touched comic disintegrate in my hands or spontaneiously combust either. So what's your point?

There we go. Now I've got it. Your argument does not really have anything to do with damage to the book, but just that pressing be considered resto like trimming (which is actually destructive, not restorative) or color touch.

Darn, and here I thought we were actually talking about potential damage to the books. That's too bad.

Personally it has little to do with damaging the comic whether that's true of not.

The mere fact of someone thinking they have to press a comic, outside of keeping it in their own collection, is abhorrant to me. Why?

There is nothing better than finding a comic to your specifications in this hobby. The hunt is/was as much of this hobby than ownig the actual comic. Now the thrill of finding that comic has been diminished by someone who could produce that comic from a grade that previously didn't meet you threshold. That diminishes the hunt and consequenntly diminishes my desire to be in this hobby.

It isn't so much the pressing but rather the artificiality of the whole process that brings the anger...

Jim

are all these new 9.8s on the census over the last few years on books that generally didnt have that many 9.8s really because of pressing?

N, in my opinion , there are very few comics that could be pressed into a 9.8.

I had a comic with a bad spine roll and I straightened it out about 80% by putting it on the bottom of a huge stack of heavy books and stuff. i was actually kindah shocked it sort of worked. it transformed that baby from a $1 book into potential $2 material with merely 30 days of continuous pressure.

I am glad you came forward to disclose this obvious despicable pressing. You should be ashamed of yourself.

This is just insane. I don't get into arguments that have no discernible or amicable conclusion - unless we can just agree to disagree, but then that would be amicable. hm

I agree with Bedrock - I love the hobby and I don't believe pressing to be restoration.

That said, I appreciate those who disclose and understand why some would rather see their books free of any type of work that attempts to improve the original condition. :foryou:

And what about books that were stored in the South, West or Midwest without climate control? A lot of books have had a lot of heat applied to them. Isn't it possible that the purported damage is being overstated?

I have always been a HUGE (sarcastic) proponent of full and total disclosure, not only of pressing, restoration and sales history, but also of chain of ownership, storage location, storage methods, handling history (number of reads, bag removal etc.), ownership medical records, financial issues involved in each transaction, travel history, and climate exposure for the life of each individual book.

The CGC label will have to be expanded to multiple pages. But that is a small price to pay for peace of mind.

Oh, that sharp wit again. :applause:

Can storage conditions for the book's life be fully & proactively disclosed?

Doubtful, and nobody has asked for them to be.

Can whether you personally have had a book pressed be proactively disclosed?

Always, and it's been requested time and again by many people.

See the difference? (shrug)

I have always been a HUGE (sarcastic) proponent of full and total disclosure, not only of pressing, restoration and sales history, but also of chain of ownership, storage location, storage methods, handling history (number of reads, bag removal etc.), ownership medical records, financial issues involved in each transaction, travel history, and climate exposure for the life of each individual book.

The CGC label will have to be expanded to multiple pages. But that is a small price to pay for peace of mind.

Oh, that sharp wit again. :applause:

What are you arguing with Ricky about? He discloses, right? (shrug)

Restoration does not return a book to its original state. It only brings the appearance of the original state. Restoration brings a change in mass(as with adding pieces or trimming), or a change in the chemical composition of the book(adding pieces or color, or chemical cleaning). Pressing does neither of these things. Pressing can, in fact, bring a book to (or nearer to) its original state.

Nope, this is what restoration is. Restoration is treatment intended to return a comic book to a known or assumed state by adding non-original material. Detected restoration is always disclosed on the CGC certification label. Non-additive procedures, such as pressing, dry cleaning and tape removal, are not classified as restoration by CGC. Trimmed books are given an apparent grade, and, in accordance with CGC's policy, are encapsulated with CGC's restored label. Learn more about comic book restoration. Pressing is simply a flattening process. Doesn't do anything else.

This is the kind of mis-information that gets repeated over and over until people actually start believing it's true. And it's really starting to me off. (tsk)

"Using heat to reduce creases, wrinkles, or other planar distortions is not recommended by professional paper conservators. Many studies have shown that increased heat accelerates paper aging, especially papers made from groundwood pulp.

In controlled environments, conservators sometimes use humidification to flatten works. However, the method by which it occurs and on what kinds of paper are both very broad factors that are considered. Once any moisture is introduced into the paper sheet, any number of chemical reactions can begin. Many conservators elect to accept minor wrinkling and creasing as part of the artifact's history of use, rather then subject the work to what may begin or cause premature aging and discoloration."

-- Paper Conservator - Conservation Division - U.S. Library of Congress

This is from Classic Inc website...

We strive to make sure every technique is safe for the short and long term. Our pressing process does not involve disassembly, nor do we use abrasive materials like chemicals, or perform any work that would constitute restoration. No excessive pressure or heat is used in our work. You will not receive comics that appear to be "pancaked," or any other unfortunate side effect that usually occurs with improper pressing. The end result is undetectable, with each comic exhibiting a fresh, untouched feel and look.

Yes...that is a quote from a website that presses comic books for profit. The fact is...they do use heat and pressure...and I believe they also use moisture (water) if needed. And simply because a book does not appear to be "pancaked"...does not mean that it hasn't suffered any damage.

The U.S. Library of Congress (someone who doesn't press comics for profit) clearly stated:

"Using heat to reduce creases, wrinkles, or other planar distortions is not recommended by professional paper conservators. Many studies have shown that increased heat accelerates paper aging, especially papers made from groundwood pulp. Once any moisture is introduced into the paper sheet, any number of chemical reactions can begin. Many conservators elect to accept minor wrinkling and creasing as part of the artifact's history of use, rather then subject the work to what may begin or cause premature aging and discoloration."

I think increased heat would have to be defined, and compared to what, if any, heat is actually used for this argument to have any merit. Also, the paragraph you quote here talks about the perils of introducing moisture, but doesn't the very next paragraph in the full quote you posted earlier talk about conservators sometimes adding humidifiation to flatten works?

Yes they will introduce moisture...but only if it's necessary as you say to "flatten works". As FFB mentioned in that thread, the Decleration of Independence was stored for years rolled up in a tube. It would have to be pressed in order to lay flat for study and presentation. I don't think squeeking another .02 grade out of a comic book would qualify as their definition of necessary.

They said flatten works, not me. It's part of the quote that you posted. And where do they detail when they would and when they would not add moisture? You seem to believe you know when they would and wouldn't.

And I have to wonder why the LOC chose to end their response with a selection of links to websites that sell products in which to store comics, rather than links to the numerous studies that they mentioned.

Their response is very broad. Is introducing heat that's one degree higher than the ambient temperature damaging to the comic? Ten degrees? They're not specific.

What is the extent of the accelerated aging? As Joey said, is the book going to last 490 years now rather than 535?

Can we get any specifics here?

You both used the phase "flatten works" so I put that in quotes.

As to when they use moisture...they stated the following:

"In controlled environments, conservators sometimes use humidification to flatten works. However, the method by which it occurs and on what kinds of paper are both very broad factors that are considered. Once any moisture is introduced into the paper sheet, any number of chemical reactions can begin. Many conservators elect to accept minor wrinkling and creasing as part of the artifact's history of use, rather then subject the work to what may begin or cause premature aging and discoloration."

And nice try, but I never said I knew exactly when they would and wouldn't use moisture to flatten an item. Their response indicates that they consider the need and the resulting negative consequences to the paper item very carefully before they resort to that measure. Can you, or Matt, or any of the other pressers say the same?

The actual U.S. Library of Congress has spoken on a very well presented question by Fantastic_Four regarding pressing. These are probably the worlds foremost authorities on paper conservation and would understand the context and methods of pressing paper to improve it's appearance while trying to minimize damage to it. The question on whether pressing causes damage has been answered. It does damage the paper. Nothing is ever going to be good enough for the presser though...there's always one more question to ask in an attempt to keep the "no damage" debate going.

See the difference? \(shrug\)

But they only seem to make that request in pressing threads. They never seem to ask the dealers themselves about particular books in their inventory, which would be the most productive avenue, wouldn't it?

Restoration does not return a book to its original state. It only brings the appearance of the original state. Restoration brings a change in mass(as with adding pieces or trimming), or a change in the chemical composition of the book(adding pieces or color, or chemical cleaning). Pressing does neither of these things. Pressing can, in fact, bring a book to (or nearer to) its original state.

Nope, this is what restoration is. Restoration is treatment intended to return a comic book to a known or assumed state by adding non-original material. Detected restoration is always disclosed on the CGC certification label. Non-additive procedures, such as pressing, dry cleaning and tape removal, are not classified as restoration by CGC. Trimmed books are given an apparent grade, and, in accordance with CGC's policy, are encapsulated with CGC's restored label. Learn more about comic book restoration. Pressing is simply a flattening process. Doesn't do anything else.

This is the kind of mis-information that gets repeated over and over until people actually start believing it's true. And it's really starting to me off. (tsk)

"Using heat to reduce creases, wrinkles, or other planar distortions is not recommended by professional paper conservators. Many studies have shown that increased heat accelerates paper aging, especially papers made from groundwood pulp.

In controlled environments, conservators sometimes use humidification to flatten works. However, the method by which it occurs and on what kinds of paper are both very broad factors that are considered. Once any moisture is introduced into the paper sheet, any number of chemical reactions can begin. Many conservators elect to accept minor wrinkling and creasing as part of the artifact's history of use, rather then subject the work to what may begin or cause premature aging and discoloration."

We strive to make sure every technique is safe for the short and long term. Our pressing process does not involve disassembly, nor do we use abrasive materials like chemicals, or perform any work that would constitute restoration. No excessive pressure or heat is used in our work. You will not receive comics that appear to be "pancaked," or any other unfortunate side effect that usually occurs with improper pressing. The end result is undetectable, with each comic exhibiting a fresh, untouched feel and look.

Yes...that is a quote from a website that presses comic books for profit. The fact is...they do use heat and pressure...and I believe they also use moisture (water) if needed. And simply because a book does not appear to be "pancaked"...does not mean that it hasn't suffered any damage.

The U.S. Library of Congress (someone who doesn't press comics for profit) clearly stated:

"Using heat to reduce creases, wrinkles, or other planar distortions is not recommended by professional paper conservators. Many studies have shown that increased heat accelerates paper aging, especially papers made from groundwood pulp. Once any moisture is introduced into the paper sheet, any number of chemical reactions can begin. Many conservators elect to accept minor wrinkling and creasing as part of the artifact's history of use, rather then subject the work to what may begin or cause premature aging and discoloration."

I think increased heat would have to be defined, and compared to what, if any, heat is actually used for this argument to have any merit. Also, the paragraph you quote here talks about the perils of introducing moisture, but doesn't the very next paragraph in the full quote you posted earlier talk about conservators sometimes adding humidifiation to flatten works?

Yes they will introduce moisture...but only if it's necessary as you say to "flatten works". As FFB mentioned in that thread, the Decleration of Independence was stored for years rolled up in a tube. It would have to be pressed in order to lay flat for study and presentation. I don't think squeeking another .02 grade out of a comic book would qualify as their definition of necessary.

They said flatten works, not me. It's part of the quote that you posted. And where do they detail when they would and when they would not add moisture? You seem to believe you know when they would and wouldn't.

And I have to wonder why the LOC chose to end their response with a selection of links to websites that sell products in which to store comics, rather than links to the numerous studies that they mentioned.

Their response is very broad. Is introducing heat that's one degree higher than the ambient temperature damaging to the comic? Ten degrees? They're not specific.

What is the extent of the accelerated aging? As Joey said, is the book going to last 490 years now rather than 535?

"In controlled environments, conservators sometimes use humidification to flatten works. However, the method by which it occurs and on what kinds of paper are both very broad factors that are considered. Once any moisture is introduced into the paper sheet, any number of chemical reactions can begin. Many conservators elect to accept minor wrinkling and creasing as part of the artifact's history of use, rather then subject the work to what may begin or cause premature aging and discoloration."

And nice try, but I never said I knew exactly when they would and wouldn't use moisture to flatten an item. Their response indicates that they consider the need and the resulting negative consequences to the paper item very carefully before they resort to that measure. Can you, or Matt, or any of the other pressers say the same?

The actual U.S. Library of Congress has spoken on a very well presented question by Fantastic_Four regarding pressing. These are probably the worlds foremost authorities on paper conservation and would understand the context and methods of pressing paper to improve it's appearance while trying to minimize damage to it. The question on whether pressing causes damage has been answered. It does damage the paper. Nothing is ever going to be good enough for the presser though...there's always one more question to ask in an attempt to keep the "no damage" debate going.

So no specifics then?

I understand your point about the sarcasm, but seriously. When I was a teenager I drove a '76 Monte Carlo with leather interior. I would buy comics and keep them in the back, go and play a couple hours of basketball and come back and the interior of that sumperson_without_enough_empathy would be about 160 degrees. I know I am not the only one.

I don't know, but I've never had a comic disintegrate in my hands, or spontaneously combust.

I've never seen a trimmed or color-touched comic disintegrate in my hands or spontaneiously combust either. So what's your point?

There we go. Now I've got it. Your argument does not really have anything to do with damage to the book, but just that pressing be considered resto like trimming (which is actually destructive, not restorative) or color touch.

Darn, and here I thought we were actually talking about potential damage to the books. That's too bad.

I'm not really sure how to respond to this post since it doesn't make any sense.

Pressers have long been saying it doesn't do any damage, but now we know that pressing does damage a comic. Hence...I stated that it might also be true that the lack of damage is being understated...because in fact...we now know that it is.

You follow this up with a ridiculous comment that you've never had a comic disintegrate in your hands or spontaneously combust. As if there can't be any damage occuring because this hasn't happened.

I simply followed it up with an equally ridiculous comment. Not really sure how that is some kind of "gotcha" moment for you. Are you even interested in discussing this seriously?

But they only seem to make that request in pressing threads. They never seem to ask the dealers themselves about particular books in their inventory, which would be the most productive avenue, wouldn't it?

No.

Because if 'proactive disclosure' was being practiced, they wouldn't need to ask, would they?

Personally it has little to do with damaging the comic whether that's true of not.

The mere fact of someone thinking they have to press a comic, outside of keeping it in their own collection, is abhorrant to me. Why?

There is nothing better than finding a comic to your specifications in this hobby. The hunt is/was as much of this hobby than ownig the actual comic. Now the thrill of finding that comic has been diminished by someone who could produce that comic from a grade that previously didn't meet you threshold. That diminishes the hunt and consequenntly diminishes my desire to be in this hobby.

It isn't so much the pressing but rather the artificiality of the whole process that brings the anger...

Jim

I agree that there is nothing better for a collector than finding a comic which fit the specifications of what he/she collects.

One of my specifications is that a book is flat.

So no specifics then?

I'll trade you mine for yours. Please post all the long-term studies that pressers have conducted showing absolutely no damage occurs along with graphs and charts showing the amount of heat, pressure, and/or moisture they have used on each book.

Proactive disclosure means not having to ask. That would be the most productive avenue.

No.

Because if 'proactive disclosure' was being practiced, they wouldn't need to ask, would they?

Why isn't it incumbent on the buyer to be educated? Caveat Emptor applies everywhere but, apparently, when buying comics. Why does the simple act of asking the seller if a book has been pressed (if you care) seem to be such a big deal?

If you buy a car, do you not ask questions about the car? Why wouldn't the same actions apply when buying comics? If you don't want to buy a pressed book, ask the dealer if it has been pressed. If the answer is anything other than "no", don't buy it. :pullhair:

Wrong-o!!!

You are the only one. I did exactly the same thing, but it was in a 1972 Olds Delta 88.

No one I know would be caught dead in the 76 Monte Carlo, that year smelled of Elderberries, and it's interior as made of hamster.

Everyone knows that Idi Amin drove a '72 Delta Delta 88, and that it was voted the vehicle "Least Attractive to Females" of all time.

:roflmao::roflmao:

Storage conditions can, and should, be disclosed. They have a much more profound effect on how long a comic will be around.

There is a reason that most of the white page pedigree collections are found in cool dry climates. There is a reason that all of the collections that were stored in attics or garages in Houston, Tx don't have white pages.

I would think that collectors would be more interested in whether a comic has been exposed to a lifetime of heat than an instant of pressure.