• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who has the best superhero origin?

77 posts in this topic

Some of my favorites are:

SA Flash

SA GL

Superman

Fantastic Four

Challengers of the Unknown

But my favorite all time origin is...Doctor Strange. I never get tired of reading his origin.

Close runner-up is, of course, Spider-man!

Spider-man has the best origin, as the death of Uncle Ben and its many ramifications on the Peter/Spidey character still resonate to this day.

meh.

Hey, it's also the most film-friendly of all the super-hero origins, and worked very well in the Spider-man movie.

Arnold Drake's Deadman origin might be the winner for High-Concept simplicity itself.

1. Protagonist is killed.

2. He comes back as a ghost to catch his killer.

3. Game on.

Good Call.

But that had been done to death in novels, movies and even TV shows like Twilight Zone. I can even remember reading old GA horror stories with a very similar origin/plot.

Well, both ROM and Silver Surfer, with their "sacrifice their humanity to save their entire world" origins, have been done "to death" as well, but when they are done right.....

(thumbs u

It's all in the telling.........

-slym

But that's just the base concept, which is not what I'm referring to here.

The Deadman origin has *literally* been done to death, in EXACTLY the same way. Vengeful spirit comes back to life to track down his killer. No "general origin" there, but an exact knock-off.

Heck, even the producers of Ghost didn't try to pawn it of as original.