• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The New Issue "Can't Miss Investment" That Actually Panned Out

47 posts in this topic

shogun #1 and micronauts #1 were can't miss in my mind. how'd i do?

lol, whenever I see clueless newbies state that "if I'd been around the BA, then I'd own boxes of Hulk 181 and ASM 129", it makes me laugh, as these dorks would certainly have stocked up on the "hot issues" of the day like Micronauts 1. :roflmao:

Dead on with that statement. We all had an ASM 129 back in the day and I don't know of anyone that thought it would be worth as much as it today.

X-Men #266

Ultimate Spidey #1

And, of course, Walking Dead and Invincible #1.

266 I'll give you. USM #1, I don't know. I was buying comics at the time and thought it was for little kids. WD and Invincible, I call BS because no one was pumping those books as "investments" in pre-orders or when they were on the shelves. Yes, they are "successes" if you bought multiples, but they were not touted as "can't miss investment issues."

Wellll...ok, fair enough.

I was just thinking about books that actually turned out to BE good investments, rather than books that were PIMPED as good investments. Those certainly were not.

(thumbs u

sandman and preacher #1.

Neither were touted as "can't miss investments," E. :sumo:

my LCS did and highly recommended them. so naturally i bought both issues, and my preacher #1 was graded CGC 9.8 after i read it, the sandman with the sam keith sig got a CGC 9.6 or 9.8, it's still at CGC. :whee:

sandman and preacher #1.

I remember Preacher 1 being hyped a bit, but Sandman 1 came and went without much of anything in the way of promotion. I can remember picking up an early issue, liking it, then trying to find the first 4-5 books - I don't even think my LCS owner knew what I was talking about.

sandman and preacher #1.

Neither were touted as "can't miss investments," E. :sumo:

you have to remember that sandman started the vertigo line after it got hot, and preacher was one of the first vertigo issues. :gossip:

I do remember. Sandman actually got hot fairly quickly, but it was grass roots, and the result of the great writing. This was before everything was issued as a trade 20 minutes after the last issue shipped. :preach:

Preacher I really can't comment upon as 94-98 I did not buy comics. Preacher was one of the first group of back issues I bought, though.

I searched for, and couldn't find, the thread a boardie wrote about his LCS 'forcing' him to buy a TMNT #1. And of course he showed the scan of it coming back slabbed 9.8

That is Boardie "telerites." I remember because I hate him so.

Link. Good story to read.

JC--you've been quiet for a while. Hope the break was an enjoyable one!

And I hadn't actually realized this was their first fight since IH 181. hm Interesting. There are a few books that seem to be holding on and keeping up, but I think much of that has to do with the fact the kid originally buying books from this era are now my age or slightly older and are adding value via the nostalgia factor--at least in part.

Sandman almost definitely was pumped from whichever mail order service I was buying books from back then because there would be no real reason i would have bought it and the issues following were it not.

I think i was buying from Westfield at that point

I only had a few money to buy comics when i was studying in high school. I can only remember "investing" when Superman 75 came out. I think I bought the black sealed bag which was more costly instead of the standard edition. I quickly went to the LCS the day it came out and skip lunch just to get the book. Of course everyone knows Superman came back alive and kicking. =) and yes I still have my unsealed copy which was read once and when I go to conventions I can't help but smile on some dealers selling the sealed black bag. I learned my lesson though and skipped buying the white sealed bag which I think was the issue when Superman came back alive? oh well.

Sandman almost definitely was pumped from whichever mail order service I was buying books from back then because there would be no real reason i would have bought it and the issues following were it not.

I think i was buying from Westfield at that point

It was Westfield that pushed them. I got 5 issues of the first 10 issues. I was able to sell them as sets and did quite well.

shogun #1 and micronauts #1 were can't miss in my mind. how'd i do?

lol, whenever I see clueless newbies state that "if I'd been around the BA, then I'd own boxes of Hulk 181 and ASM 129", it makes me laugh, as these dorks would certainly have stocked up on the "hot issues" of the day like Micronauts 1. :roflmao:

I remember seeing Micronauts # 1 for sale at a store back in the day for $ 4.00 and I also remember considering it. lol I was young. Ended up getting 16 books out of the quarter box instead. :banana:

Sandman was definitely a sleeper. I bought it because of Gaiman and stuck with it just because .. up until the massacre at the diner. It was at that point I said "woah, something interesting and different is going on here" and it became must read each month instead of just buying.

superman_75.jpg

for awhile did.

this never did.

bloodshot01.jpg

Print run too high on the BS1. But, BS1 sold gangbusters at retail because it was on the stands the same day as Supes 75. There were regional retail sellouts of BS1.

Of course, there were hundreds of thousands printed that went straight to speculators, and all those regional problems were very short lived.