• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

$1K - What book do you want?

110 posts in this topic

Hmm... mega toss up

- Weird Tales of the Future #2

- Low gr FF1

- FF5 whatever grade

- Lost in the Andes Four Color 223 (?)

- Hi gr Green Lantern 76

- coverless timely key if one could be found that cheap...

- Hi gr silver age Kubert war key.. OAAW 151 or Star Spangled 138 or something..

Hmm 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Golden:

Mid grade Giant Comics Editions 12

A low grade Action under 20

Mid Grade Catman 13

Mid Grade Suspense 4

Mid Grade Punch 12

Mid Grade Phantom Lady 23

Silver: confused-smiley-013.gif

Hulk 1 VG- w/ good eye appeal

Action 252 VF-

Bronze

HOS 81 9.6 with change left over

Batman 237 9.6 with change left over

Golden...a Single Digit Action, as Low a # as I could get, Low Grade (Hopefully a solid Good) of Course. Or a Nice Shape Later Marvel Mystery. Silver, Low Grade, AF#15 try to get a TRUE Good for around $1000, it might be Done still, But gonna' have to be Raw. Higher Grade, a HULK #1 at Least a Fine maybe Better.

Another for best GL76 or maybe the Batman 234 in 9.6 that Bob has.

No kidding. That 234 is a beauty!

My bet is that that 234 will be sitting there for a while at the $1K price tag . . .

IMO - that book should trade in line with the Batman 232 - even though the guide is in favor of the 234. 232 is a much more popular and important book than the 234, but this is not to say that the 234 is not popular. At $750 I would grab that book but at $1,000 I'll take my chances elsewhere.

DAM

Yeah, I tend to feel the same way. I only hope I'm not kicking myself in a few years time. There's a lot more 232's on the census than 234's in 9.6.

I think one of the things that makes the 234 harder to find in grade is that book is a 52 pager if I remember correctly, so the spine is tougher. I'm not sure the print run is really any lower, but structurally, of the raw books, I see more flawed 234s.

however a Bats 232 is the first appearance of Ra's and I just can't see the 1st modern appearance of Two Face to be as important. Both are drawn by Adams and sport awesome covers. Although both are undervalued severely in the guide, i think both books deserve about the same valuation, but for different reasons for the price calculation.

Although both are undervalued severely in the guide,

I agree! (I think the whole collecting world does too).

And I know we've discussed this ad nauseum, but this brings up anothe OS guide question....

Are there specific books that will see a significant spike in price the next guide. I'm thinking books like these, or GL #76 in particular which is grossly under-valued in the guide at $275 in NM.

Will GL #76 get a typical (let's even go a little higher at 20%) bump and be "valued" at $330 in NM (still waaay under-valued). Or will it see a significant jump to maybe $550 (double - and still impossible to find at that price)?

Chris

Although both are undervalued severely in the guide,

I agree! (I think the whole collecting world does too).

And I know we've discussed this ad nauseum, but this brings up anothe OS guide question....

Are there specific books that will see a significant spike in price the next guide. I'm thinking books like these, or GL #76 in particular which is grossly under-valued in the guide at $275 in NM.

Will GL #76 get a typical (let's even go a little higher at 20%) bump and be "valued" at $330 in NM (still waaay under-valued). Or will it see a significant jump to maybe $550 (double - and still impossible to find at that price)?

Chris

Don't think so...OS won't bump the books based on CGC sales. There are obviously tons of books that are undervalued in the guide compared to slabbed 9.4 or better sales, and while the GL may be undervalued raw as well, there are many other books where the same applies that haven't seen the jump either.

The OS just as a matter of its belief in pricing structure will never bump a book to that extent (doubling GL 76 to $550), but perhaps even raw as a 9.4, the book should be raised by $75. The book has been consistently undervalued in the guide for years, so perhaps now is the time to raise the price.

I'm not suggesting the OS raise prices to match CGC level sales, but it should lower more common books and raise the truly rare. I'm sure this is a mantra repeated by many collectors, but I'd love to see the OS actually do it some year. Overall, I think the guide does a great job, and when it raised spideys almost across the board, I thought they did the right thing... now they have to examine some of these other books where you simply can't find them for the prices listed in the guide.

I realize that OS won't bump the guide to be closer to CGC prices. I bring up, specifically GL #76 as it is a book that I look for at almost every show I go to. All I ever see are mid-grades (not even VF-'s) and they're always priced at or above $200! Raw!

Common response from dealer when I see if I can catch a break, "It's an Adams. I can't really go lower." It would seem that if enough dealers are commanding these prices, that the guide would need to see significant increase to more accurately reflect the market.

What other books do you see as requiring this type of adjustment??? And, not just a current "hot" book. A book like GL #76 that you know will hold it's value?

Chris

Common response from dealer when I see if I can catch a break, "It's an Adams. I can't really go lower." It would seem that if enough dealers are commanding these prices, that the guide would need to see significant increase to more accurately reflect the market.

this sounds like an exact quote I heard from Al Stoltz concerning his copy of GL 76 and it was stickered at $210.

this sounds like an exact quote I heard from Al Stoltz concerning his copy of GL 76 and it was stickered at $210.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

What was the grade, IYO?

Chris

I'd say VF/VF-... something in that area. he quoted me $190 as the bottom price he could go on the book... although to be honest, I didn't take it out and inspect it very carefully. He might have taken $180 if I had offered that... especially since things were slow in Philly. But I got the impression Al's been doing pretty well recently with his Lost Valley Collection and other books he's had.

What other books do you see as requiring this type of adjustment??? And, not just a current "hot" book. A book like GL #76 that you know will hold it's value?

Not telling!! JK...for example, the "Big 3" LB Cole sci-fi cover books have been selling for well over guide for 10(?) years, and OS just bumps 'em little by little each year.