• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mound City Comic Collection Details on original owner revealed

107 posts in this topic

sadly I think the majority would have done the same thing

The worst thing about it all is that Chuck has had decades to right this wrong, yet has done nothing. he talks constantly about "preserving the legacy of Edgar Church, but that was all an attempt to start a cash-grab museum or sell off his Church art and clipping.

Why doesn't he just sell off one of his remaining books and start an Art Scholarship in the name of Edgar Church?

Answer; Because that won't make Chuckles any money.

why $600k? i thought the books hit $1mm. was that w/ BP? did mound take that big a piece?

That's entirely an educated guess on my part. I was curious how much estate auction houses typically take before this auction ever began, so I browsed maybe a half-dozen web sites and found figures that ranged from 20% to 40%. I suppose I was assuming that Mound City would be getting around 25% + the extra 5% to 15% juice from the bidders. I have no actual idea what their cut is. (shrug)

why $600k? i thought the books hit $1mm. was that w/ BP? did mound take that big a piece?

That's entirely an educated guess on my part. I was curious how much estate auction houses typically take before this auction ever began, so I browsed maybe a half-dozen web sites and found figures that ranged from 20% to 40%. I suppose I was assuming that Mound City would be getting around 25% + the extra 5% to 15% juice from the bidders. I have no actual idea what their cut is. (shrug)

I think the $1 million was before the buyer's premium. A 25 percent seller's premium seems high. With a premium of that size, the auctioneer would receive well north of $300,000 before expenses. Whether that's reasonable, I don't know. Whatever the consignor ends up netting, it's sure going to beat $5,000.

The worst thing about it all is that Chuck has had decades to right this wrong, yet has done nothing. he talks constantly about "preserving the legacy of Edgar Church, but that was all an attempt to start a cash-grab museum or sell off his Church art and clipping.

Why doesn't he just sell off one of his remaining books and start an Art Scholarship in the name of Edgar Church?

I must be missing something.

I think the $1 million was before the buyer's premium. A 25 percent seller's premium seems high. With a premium of that size, the auctioneer would receive well north of $300,000 before expenses. Whether that's reasonable, I don't know. Whatever the consignor ends up netting, it's sure going to beat $5,000.

25% sellers premium is not bad for not really doing anything at all. :whee:

The family offered it to Mound City Auctions for $5K, they realized that was low and instead offered to just auction them for the family, a dealer subsequently offers Mound City $50K which they turn down, and blam, family gets like $600K or so instead. :o A bit more heroic than Chuck and the Mile Highs. ^^

WOW. That is amazing. It would have been so easy for Rob to be greedy and just scoop up everything for 5 grand, but he was a true and honest hero.

What an outstranding example of virtue and fair play..

Rob is the Anti-Chuck!

Bill

That is a low blow. These guys have worked their arse's off the last two months and layed out a lot of upfront cash to make this happen. If they don't clear 100-200K, I would think it was a lot of wasted effort on their part. It would not surprise me if they had over 1000 man hours in this auction.

:screwy:

Don't understand that at all. They DID a helluva lot if you ask me. They got the books graded, they advertised the hell out of it, they auctioned it off, they procured the site, they answered questions, and they took care of the packaging, bookkeeping and numerous other things. I'd say they earned their money.

Not only that. They had the vision that this could be big. They had the expertise to pull it off. They had the cash to invest in the necessary grading, venue, and technology. They also had the balls not to take the easy route and sell out to Metropolis, CL, or Heritage.

Have you not read Chuckle's past "I want to ensure the legacy of Edgar Church..." BS, which was really his attempt to either get a museum set up or sell the clippings, art and other ad materials that he got from the Church estate.

If he really wanted to "ensure the legacy of Edgar Church", then why not step up with some money and repay the poor guy you owe your entire life to.

Don't understand that at all. They DID a helluva lot if you ask me. They got the books graded, they advertised the hell out of it, they auctioned it off, they procured the site, they answered questions, and they took care of the packaging, bookkeeping and numerous other things. I'd say they earned their money.
The thing I appreciate the most about this auction is that Mound City turned $5000 worth of comics into $1,000,000 for the owner.

Have you not read Chuckle's past "I want to ensure the legacy of Edgar Church..." BS, which was really his attempt to either get a museum set up or sell the clippings, art and other ad materials that he got from the Church estate.

If he really wanted to "ensure the legacy of Edgar Church", then why not step up with some money and repay the poor guy you owe your entire life to.

I just went to his site and stopped at the part where he explained what a chicken box was. :-)

I take it that he has never done more with Edgar Church's name than affix it to a bunch of books to make sure that when you're buying that Golden Age Dell that you know it came from Edgar Church's unread stash.