• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SNE to flood eBay with 13,000 slabs?

490 posts in this topic

I'm sure this has been answered somewhere, but does anyone know off the top of their heads if Valiant sold out to Acclaim just for the big bucks or did they see the way the industry was going and just decided to take the money while the getting was good?

I'm sure this has been answered somewhere, but does anyone know off the top of their heads if Valiant sold out to Acclaim just for the big bucks or did they see the way the industry was going and just decided to take the money while the getting was good?

I think ACCLAIM went after Valiant - ACCLAIM was the suitor. They were looking for properties for video games and licensing.

The print runs on the last Valiant books were in the 10K area or less. Any suitor was going to be taken seriously. ACCLAIM took a bath.

Archie comics showed restraint throughout the early 1990`s, thier Sonic comicbook series actually became a collectable. It would not surprise me that Archie will outlast DC/MARVEL. remember Marvel went bankrupt in the 1990`s and there was Archie comics with no money flow problems.They have been around since the 1940`s and are a survivor.

Archie comics showed restraint throughout the early 1990`s, thier Sonic comicbook series actually became a collectable. It would not surprise me that Archie will outlast DC/MARVEL. remember Marvel went bankrupt in the 1990`s and there was Archie comics with no money flow problems.They have been around since the 1940`s and are a survivor.

Excellent example.

Although, to be fair, there WAS an Archie vs. the Punisher crossover...

:whistle:

Excellent example.

Although, to be fair, there WAS an Archie vs. the Punisher crossover...

:whistle:

With a DIE-CUT cardstock cover!

The 9.9 's seem to be starting on Clink, you can tell buy the way the scanner has that "double light" refraction. The same as the scan's on there feebay store.

I'm indifferent, but with the high grade market being in flux it should be interesting to watch what happens. (shrug)

Sure, it could be argued that if so many people didn't feel burned by the early 90's hysteria, fewer would have left the hobby. Hard to say. I doubt many adults who got in for speculative reasons would have stayed even if there had not been an exploding bubble. But yeah, I suppose a bunch of 9 - 15 year old kids got killed who may have even liked the comics but also liked the idea of their comics increasing in value even more who probably felt so burned they never came back.

I believe the rise of action figure collecting killed comic book collecting. Comic book collecting fell off dramatically just as action figure collecting took off. I'd even argue this began when Hasbro introduced the new line of Star Wars action figures. The irony is, Star Wars comics saved Marvel Comics in 1977 and the introduction of new Star Wars action figures killed the comic book hobby in 1995.

The speculators definitely moved to the action figure hobby at this time. Many of the people who were making money with hot comics were now making money with hot action figures. I believe the migration of the speculators took many of the (sheep) collectors with them.

Ron

action figures and cards both, maybe?

Or really just all the extraneous comic "related" stuff...

I know that kind of killed some of my passion for the hobby...

oh, and CCGs too, of course... although at least I made a small fortune from selling all that stuff!

I remember way back when this thread was about ShowCase's 13000 books hitting eBay. Ah, those were the good old days.

Yeah, and that conversation ran it's course, and, like all good conversations, veered into new territory.

I'll never understand the obsession some people have with keeping every single topic dead on all the time.

I remember way back when this thread was about ShowCase's 13000 books hitting eBay. Ah, those were the good old days.

Yeah, and that conversation ran it's course, and, like all good conversations, veered into new territory.

I'll never understand the obsession some people have with keeping every single topic dead on all the time.

Obsession with one post about how things veer off? Jeez, I was just making a joke. Lighten up.

I like Megan Fox, but all those weird text tatoos she has creeps me out...I mean, the last thing I want to do while looking at her bod is read her manifesto on life...

I am pretty sure you would be able to get past that.

Obsession with one post about how things veer off? Jeez, I was just making a joke. Lighten up.

Just commentary about your passive/aggressive commentary. Lighten up.

(thumbs u

remember Marvel went bankrupt in the 1990`s and there was Archie comics with no money flow problems.They have been around since the 1940`s and are a survivor.

--------------------

Marvel's bankrupty had nothing to do with the lack of profitability of their publishing arm (despite decreased sales), but everything to do with the corporate raiders who took over the company and used it as collateral in a bunch of other crummy highly leveraged aquisitions that wound up bringing the overall entity down.

as a stand alone, the publishing was doing o.k.