• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sale of the Year - New Mutants #98 CGC 9.9 for $12,250
5 5

1,155 posts in this topic

if all it took to have a good movie was the casting of one likeable actor, then there would be a lot fewer bargain dvd bins across the land

I think everyone will be pleasantly surprised. He's Green Lantern AND Deadpool. Is there anyone else who has had two super hero movies release the same year? Or better yet, is there another actor who has starred in two super hero movies as the lead in both?

This is a very sad thread. When you boil down all the "discussion", it really is just about pizzing on someone else's cheerios. Very sad, indeed. So, he paid a lot of money for the book. Is he using your money? No. So, who the :censored: cares? Boston Corbett I hope you enjoy the book because in the end that is all that matters.

:applause:

I've seen a lot of what appears to be presumptious dismissal of CGC's 9.9 grade in this thread. Has anyone actually done much analysis of CGC 9.9s and 10.0s to determine whether or not they tend to truly on average have fewer defects than 9.8s?

Yes.

YES.

MY GOD, YES!

We all know CGC's margin of error can be a single notch, but that doesn't mean you automatically assume every book is overgraded or undergraded.

Nobody said that, or even implied it. You're coming at it from the wrong angle. It's not that "every book is over or undergraded" it's that if ANY book can be "over" or "under" graded, then ALL of them can!....and even those terms are incorrect!

Grading at these levels is BEYOND subjective. I'm CGC and I've got a book that has four 1/32" impressions...not indentations, just IMPRESSIONS...marks you cannot even see unless you're tilted under a bright light...and one day I think "mehh...that's a 9.8" and another day I think "mehhh...that's 9.9"

And you know what the real kicker is...?

Neither grade is wrong.

I have to think there's some actual objective truth in the superior condition of most 9.9s and 10.0s just based upon my experience with their grading of books below that level, but I don't own any Mints, so I can't really say--and I'm not sure anyone else crapping on CGC's Mint grade have empirical evidence to make their claims, either. hm

:eyeroll:

That's a sound analysis for ya....

Empirical evidence, exhibit A: Spiderman #5, previously graded 9.6, deslabbed, sent back through the grading process...having nothing done to it...receives a 9.8. Book is exactly the same book that went through the first time. The only difference? The opinions of the graders on that day.

Empirical evidence, Exhibit B: New Mutants #98, out of my personal collection. Sent in in a lot of 8 copies at a 9.8 pre-screen. 7 pass, one rejected. Rejected copy sent back in at a 9.8 pre-screen, having had absolutely nothing done to it...it passes, and receives a 9.8 grade.

Same book. Same exact condition.

Do you want more examples? There are hundreds, if not thousands by this point.

This is a very sad thread. When you boil down all the "discussion", it really is just about pizzing on someone else's cheerios. Very sad, indeed. So, he paid a lot of money for the book. Is he using your money? No. So, who the :censored: cares? Boston Corbett I hope you enjoy the book because in the end that is all that matters.

BS on both of you.

This discussion is not only important, it's VITAL to the health of the industry...ESPECIALLY the graded comics part of the industry....for years to come.

You can beyotch and moan all you want about "pizzing on someone's cherrios", but as been said before....and you apparently can't understand this...this is but ONE EXAMPLE of a much LARGER, and far more important discussion.

Great for Boston Corbett. He saw something he wanted, and paid what it took to get it. If he's happy, that's....as you said...all that matters as it regards THIS transaction.

But that's not the point. Never has been the point. Never will be the point.

Its an uphill battle for the buyer to come on and defend his buy. He does not need to defend it, and its a battle that cannot be won. This board has a peanut gallery armed with limitless ammo consisting of too much free time, mental issues that do not allow them to drop a subject, a tendency to pot shot, and varying maturity levels that do not allow possibility of conceding a point.

You have just done what you are complaining others are doing in this very paragraph.

Awesome!

Buyer should just let this avalanche of from the insufficiently_thoughtful_persons slide on by. I love how an economics professor is being told he does not know what intrinsic means.

:screwy:

If you use a word incorrectly, by definition, you don't know what it means.

Inconceivable!

By your logic, only "economics" professors should know what "intrinsic" means...?

:screwy:

A problem with message boards is that there is no barrier to entry, no required resume strength showing level of higher education, iq, political beliefs, and history of mental illness. Buyers best move is to say nothing, as it is just not worth the energy in this particular environment to do more.

I agree wholeheartedly with this sentiment, though for I imagine quite opposite reasons.

(thumbs u

This discussion is not only important, it's VITAL to the health of the industry...ESPECIALLY the graded comics part of the industry....for years to come

I was a supporter of CGC in the early days. I believed in the service and felt it served a real need, especially with the onset of online transactions. Then troublesome stuff started to emerge (and sorry for bringing these up): SCS, pressing, trimming. Along with what happened in other hobbies that instituted grading (sports cards, coins). My faith was shaken and it wasn't as fun anymore. So I got out. And this was before the whole crack/resub game really took hold.

But hasn't the issue of arbitrary grading at the ultra-high-grade levels always been there? So if the problem here is that there is no real difference between a 9.8 and a 9.9...well, that's nothing new, is it? I always thought everyone had that figured out when they bought into the system...

Anyway, I'd be less worried about a guy paying X amount for any comic than all the guys out there doing their best to game the system. And as far as that goes, my opinion is that it's already too late. Sorry.

BS on both of you.

This discussion is not only important, it's VITAL to the health of the industry...ESPECIALLY the graded comics part of the industry....for years to come.

You can beyotch and moan all you want about "pizzing on someone's cherrios", but as been said before....and you apparently can't understand this...this is but ONE EXAMPLE of a much LARGER, and far more important discussion.

Great for Boston Corbett. He saw something he wanted, and paid what it took to get it. If he's happy, that's....as you said...all that matters as it regards THIS transaction.

Oh please. This sale will have very very little effect on the hobby. All it represents is an anomaly nothing more. An uncharacteristic spike in price. It will not cause an inappropriate rise in the price of the other NM #98's. The book, if up for sale again any time soon, would most likely plummet in price unless of course there are a few other collectors who treasure it as much as BC did. If you look at GPA, you'll see there are sales that are anomalies and sales that follow the natural market. And your opinion that there is no difference between a 9.8, 9.9 and 10 is irrelevant to the subset of collectors that pursue such books. They believe in CGC's opinion not your's. And, to them, that is all that matters. And, as I said before, their pursuit of such books will have very little effect on the books you or I collect.

You such think about changing your name from Rock My Amadeus to Rock My Drama Queen, it is more fitting.

Rocky, amazing Rocky, that can be your name. I could do a line by line rebuttal of your line by line breakdown of the buyers line by line post. But for what end. You have been in error in virtually every single line you have posted.

You are sure of what you say, so truth has no need to enter the picture.

The buyer, and I do believe he is an economics professor and not just playing one, has not used any words incorrectly, has not been mistaken who he has purchased book from, and is not confused in what role CGC played.

You Rocky, amazing Rocky, make assumptions, misread sentences, and then make "corrections" because you did not understand what was originally said.

But you are tireless in posting ability and will take lack of response as some sort of perverse victory. Which is fine. Just understand what I have said, you have been in error, for a multitude of reasons, in virtually every line of every response you have made in this thread.

Can we talk about big boobs again? I think Keely Hazel is just fine, thank you.
:cloud9: How someone can find this unattractive is beyond me

keeley-hazell-is-hot-in-pink-bra.jpg

:cloud9: who is that? why do I not know, please tell me more :foryou:

Look her up online... some really great photos :cloud9:

Her sex tape is better.

Link?

google it

Rocky, amazing Rocky, that can be your name. I could do a line by line rebuttal of your line by line breakdown of the buyers line by line post. But for what end. You have been in error in virtually every single line you have posted.

The buyer, and I do believe he is an economics professor and not just playing one, has not used any words incorrectly, has not been mistaken who he has purchased book from, and is not confused in what role CGC played.

You Rocky, amazing Rocky, make assumptions, misread sentences, and then make "corrections" because you did not understand what was originally said.

But you are tireless in posting ability and will take lack of response as some sort of perverse victory. Which is fine. Just understand what I have said, you have been in error, for a multitude of reasons, in virtually every line of every response you have made in this thread.

:applause:(worship)

I have to think there's some actual objective truth in the superior condition of most 9.9s and 10.0s just based upon my experience with their grading of books below that level, but I don't own any Mints, so I can't really say--and I'm not sure anyone else crapping on CGC's Mint grade have empirical evidence to make their claims, either. hm

That's a sound analysis for ya....

Empirical evidence, exhibit A: Spiderman #5, previously graded 9.6, deslabbed, sent back through the grading process...having nothing done to it...receives a 9.8. Book is exactly the same book that went through the first time. The only difference? The opinions of the graders on that day.

Empirical evidence, Exhibit B: New Mutants #98, out of my personal collection. Sent in in a lot of 8 copies at a 9.8 pre-screen. 7 pass, one rejected. Rejected copy sent back in at a 9.8 pre-screen, having had absolutely nothing done to it...it passes, and receives a 9.8 grade.

Same book. Same exact condition.

Do you want more examples? There are hundreds, if not thousands by this point.

Very sound analysis, although obviously I didn't present it in this thread and since you joined long after I went through my intense CGC reverse-engineering phase on these boards, you probably haven't seen it. I've spent years here trying to reverse-engineer CGC's standards, but you can't do it without defect examination. I think you alluded to some analysis of defects allowable in the 9.9 and 10.0 grades...do you recall where you or others did it? Or do you mean you've examined the defects on 9.9s in person? I can do a keyword search for it myself if you saw others do it on the boards and you recall some titles and issues and if possible how long ago you saw it. There can be no discussion of whether or not a book is accurately graded without a defect inventory--to do so at all is to pull ideas completely out of your . Right now, the only two people that should be talking about the Amazing Spider-Man #5 or the New Mutants #98 and the merits of their grades are the people who have had the books in hand and know what the defects are.

What percentage of books do you estimate CGC misgrades? 10%? 50%? 90%? If they misgrade 30% of the time, is there any value in knowing that a book has a 70% probability of being accurately graded?

He's a great debater with clear thinking and I'm really glad he's here, but you're right. It's tough to debate with him because he's more than in love with his own thoughts, he's in absolute LUST with them. Threads get littered with the spooge from his mental masturbation, and everyone else's counterpoints are treated as fuel to be burned in the fires of his imagination. Or put more succinctly, he debates to be right more than to arrive at truth, which is too frustrating to participate in for long. :pullhair:

BS on both of you.

Oh please. This sale will have very very little effect on the hobby. All it represents is an anomaly nothing more.

Have you bothered to read anything that anyone has written?

Or are you doing the typical CGC board knee-jerk reaction to a light skimming and what you thought somebody said...?

This sale is not the issue.

This sale, in and of itself, is not that important.

Maybe if you read what people write, you wouldn't end up repeating back at them what they already said.

An uncharacteristic spike in price. It will not cause an inappropriate rise in the price of the other NM #98's. The book, if up for sale again any time soon, would most likely plummet in price unless of course there are a few other collectors who treasure it as much as BC did. If you look at GPA, you'll see there are sales that are anomalies and sales that follow the natural market. And your opinion that there is no difference between a 9.8, 9.9 and 10 is irrelevant to the subset of collectors that pursue such books. They believe in CGC's opinion not your's. And, to them, that is all that matters.

Wow. It's like reading what I already wrote....mainly because I did.

And, as I said before, their pursuit of such books will have very little effect on the books you or I collect.

You such think about changing your name from Rock My Amadeus to Rock My Drama Queen, it is more fitting.

Yes, that's it....instead of having a reasonable discussion, just sit back and insult people you don't agree with, in an attempt to silence them. That's just disgusting. You should be ashamed of yourself.

And the word you were looking for was "should" not "such", Einstein.

My points remain, and they are valid. Sorry kids.

Maybe the buyer will DE-slab the book and send it in hopeing for a 10! :eyeroll:

As I sit here in the Mile High city and ponder the finer points of CGC as I nibble on sopapillas at Casa Bonita pounding on my Black Berry...

All valid points regarding "re-submitting" a book. What people have failed to mention is that there is an equal possibility that re-submitting a 9.6 AS #5 will come back a 9.4, not necessarily a higher grade of 9.8. Given the theory of exponential value (I described this in a previous post)...

If you have a high grade, high value comic, you risk a substantial amount of money "cracking" the case and re-submitting. Thus the reason as to why I won't be re-submitting the 9.9 in hopes of a 10.

And, yes, if a comic is cheap enough, you can keep re-submitting your book in the hopes that someday a grader will award it the higher grade. Given the odds on New Mutants #98, there are approximately 400 -- okay, 396, just so we're exact and don't cause Senor Amadeus to suffer a stroke -- 9.8's available for re-submission. Assuming the 9.9 is no better than the 9.8s, and I have yet to capitulate to that fact, then you have a 1 in 400 shot at getting a 9.9. 400 submissions x $30 CGC submission fee = $12,000. If you add the price of the book ($250), you now have $12,250. Where have I heard this number before? God, ain't the vagaries of the marketplace a funny thing?

God bless Capitalism and the Invisible Hand. Whoever gets the next 9.9, please email me and I'll buy you a beer. Either by actual $$$ or via the laws of probability (dumb luck), you'll have earned your 9.9. Oh, and if you re-submit 400 times, pray to God the nay-sayers are right about your 9.8 having "virtually no difference" from the 9.9, or your battle is lost before you lick the stamp.

Brian (AKA Boston Corbett)

P.S. Yes, yes, yes... the CGC fee is anywhere between $17/25 + shipping and 2.5% of the book's FMV. "About" $30. About. No need for detailed rebuttal on how to make the CGC submission process cheaper by haggling, theft, sneakery, sleeping with a CGC grader, etc.

Rocky, amazing Rocky, that can be your name. I could do a line by line rebuttal of your line by line breakdown of the buyers line by line post.

No, you really can't, because you're not capable of doing it. If you were, you'd do it, instead of just typing the online equivalent of "I know you are, but what am I?"

But for what end. You have been in error in virtually every single line you have posted.

Fact: CGC's grading is subjective.

Fact: CGC STATES that grading is subjective on the label of every single book it grades.

Fact: Any random book on any random day can receive a (SLIGHTLY) different grade than it received on another random day, because of the two facts above. This fact is demonstrated by the countless examples that have obtained a different grade on a different day.

If you wish to dispute this, FEEL FREE. If you wish to type "you're in error" til your fingers fall off, FEEL FREE.

That doesn't make you any less wrong.

You are sure of what you say, so truth has no need to enter the picture[/qu0ote]

No, I'm simply sure of the facts which are stated aove. That IS the truth, regardless of your rambling otherwise.

Your attempt to marginalize me by calling into question my sanity...I mean, really....doesn't change these factrs..

The buyer, and I do believe he is an economics professor and not just playing one, has not used any words incorrectly,

Wow. Amazing. Denial runs deep in this one.

in⋅trin⋅sic  /ɪnˈtrɪnsɪk, -zɪk/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [in-trin-sik, -zik] Show IPA

Use intrinsic in a Sentence

See web results for intrinsic

See images of intrinsic

–adjective 1. belonging to a thing by its very nature: the intrinsic value of a gold ring.

has not been mistaken who he has purchased book from, and is not confused in what role CGC played.

No assumptions made, Stompy.

No sentences misread, Stompy.

Understand exactly what was originally said, Stompy.

Otherwise, you'd be able to point to actual examples of your claims.

But you are tireless in posting ability and will take lack of response as some sort of perverse victory.

....?

Please, tell me where you developed this amazing ability to read minds...?

Which is fine. Just understand what I have said, you have been in error, for a multitude of reasons, in virtually every line of every response you have made in this thread.

Point one out.

Just one.

Point out a SINGLE "error" that you're accusing me of making.

I'll wait.

(Oh, and nothing you've posted in this thread, or any thread, has ever made a lick of sense, ever. See how easy it is to type sentences like that? A bit more difficult actually proving it, though....)

He's a great debater with clear thinking and I'm really glad he's here, but you're right. It's tough to debate with him because he's more than in love with his own thoughts, he's in absolute LUST with them. Threads get littered with the spooge from his mental masturbation, and everyone else's counterpoints are treated as fuel to be burned in the fires of his imagination. Or put more succinctly, he debates to be right more than to arrive at truth, which is too frustrating to participate in for long. :pullhair:

If you'd actually respond to my points, instead of attacking me personally, maybe you'd find things a lot less frustrating.

Or is this the part where the actual salient points get buried under an avalanche of ad hominem simply because we don't "like" the poster, or the way he posts, or what he has to say, etc etc etc...?

Nothing "Stompy" said was "right"; it was just an ad hominem attack, so you agreeing with him puts you in the same boat. I honestly think you're better than that.

And...your characterization of me is wholly incorrect, but you won't see that.

Logic, reason, truth. Fact. Educated conclusions where no concrete fact can be ascertained. Those are the the only things that matter to me. I do not need to be RIGHT...I want EVERYONE to be RIGHT. Do NOT mistake tenacity with a stubborn refusal to "admit" the "truth", especially when someone doesn't accept YOUR idea of it.

And what does that say for everyone else who keeps arguing THEIR points...? Hmmmm? Oh, but you agree with them, so that's ok.

I see.