• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Time for CGC to get rid of the PLOD & GLOD, they serve no purpose!

212 posts in this topic

Yep....I've fleeced many of my own! sorry.gif

Yep, you have.........*ahem*......."rammed" them in the backside many a time. 893naughty-thumb.gif

But they were willing participants. They didn't have to pay my prices! 893frustrated.gif

"Make something different and it will be treated differently"

So restored books are the same as unrestored books? Makes no diff?

Brian

No... but my problem with PLOD is that all books from a midgrade with a pinhead size color dot to something with a photocopied cover get the same PLOD.

Why give something a PLOD if it:

1) Doesn't change the apparent grade (e.g., a 4.0 with a 1/4 inch tear seal)

2) Could be considered an acceptable flaw for that grade level (e.g., a 5.5 with a tiny color touch) ?

I am all for identifying books that have restoration, but the PLOD should only apply to books where the restoration has changed the grade level and is not an acceptable flaw within the apparent grade level. Giving the PLOD to every book with the slightest touch of anything is like throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

flowerred.gif

A book with a speck of color touch is in a Purple Lable, just like a reconstructed book. The fact is that, the speck of color touch might not have even cause the grade to increase? And I do believe ANY color touch on a Silver-Age or newer book will get a Label. Only GA can get the Universal with restoration noted.

And certain restoration (or actually preservation), such as slight glue to the spine or tear seal to cover, is also in a Purple Label. This has Preserved the book and should have ZERO IMPACT on the grade. Yet, it's in the same PURPLE LABEL (and therefore is shunned by the collecting community).

Should a book that has a VF appearance with a small amount of glue on the spine (to make the book remain structurally secure) be worth the same as VG?

The book has been altered thus it gets the PLOD. I can sympathize to a certain extent with your examples but regardless work has been done to the book. This needs to be signified very clearly with the PLOD regardless of the extent of alteration. It the buyers job at that point to determine if the alteration meets their criteria for their collection....

Jim

Sorry I really don't see a problem with the PLOD and GLOD labels. I think CGC should keep them. The one thing they should change strictly for the sake of consistency is not giving blue labels to GA slightly restored books. Restored is restored and it shouldn't matter that the book is a GA book and not SA or modern. I don't think there is a unanimous outcry by collectors to get rid of these labels as you are implying. Half of the people on this thread don't agree with you. Just my .02

For those of you who think the Purple and Green labels are a bad idea, now is the time to speak up. Years ago the Modern Labels were different and the people complained, CGC listened and that ugly Brown label was no more. NOW is your chance to let CGC know the PLOD & GLOD is not good for anyone! Here is a letter I just PM'ed to Steve B. If you feel this is a good change for the hobby PM him too and let him know!

"Hi Steve,

There has been a LOT of negative feedback recently regarding the Purple and Green labels to note the Restored and Qualified books. Check out the Adventure #40 thread in the GA section.

I have a great idea on this topic, below is a copy of what I wrote in that thread. I think it really makes sense for CGC, dealers and collectors. Dealers WILL NOT submit books to you that they know/think will get the PLOD or GLOD, so you are loosing out on those submissions. Collectors are loosing out too. The restored books either sit in the purple holders (not getting a second look do to the stigma attached to the PLOD) or they sit in their mylars unsold and ungraded. Many collectors that would actually buy a restored book may not want to buy one that sits in the mylar because they do not know the amount of work done to the book, so yet again the restored book get passed up. So here is my proposal..

"Due to the new larger size of CGC's numberical grades on the labels where they are easily readable, instead of DIFFERENT color labels CGC could have one (blue) label. The label could look like this...

Example

9.4Q

9.4R

Then in the "notes" area CGC can put the qulaifiers and restoration notes.

I'll tell you one thing. I have 192 Timely's all CGC'd 8.0 and better. 2 are restored and 2 are qualified. Those 4 books stand out like sore thumbs.

I feel you are correct when you say the PLOD AND GLOD have taken on a life of their own, far more than CGC originally intended. Those books sit DEAD in their holders. No more discrimination CGC, please! Let our restored and qualified books look just as nice as our universal ones!

Timely"

Let me know what you think, I do not see any drawbacks to this idea Steve. Years ago you had different colored labels for Modern books and that bad idea was eventually resinded, it's time to do the same for the rest. Make all the labels the same color.

Regards, "

Timely,

How many posters on this thread do you think actually took the time to read the the Adventure #40 GA thread that you mentioned? Judging from the posts here, I'd say very few. I'm not saying that people should not be in favor of the PLOD. But anyone who wishes to constructively contribute to the debate on this subject should really first read the posts there and rebut the arguments made there specifically. Admittedly, some of the issues discussed on that thread are more relevant to GA books than later books due to the relative scarcity of GA comics and the high percentage of them that have incurred some restoration or conservation. (In addition to the more severe economic damage done by the PLOD to GA books than to other books (again, read the thread), the disincentive created by the PLOD to conserve books properly may well have tangible effects on the survivability of GA books for enjoyment by future generations (again, read the thread for more detail) whereas books that came into the world after comic book collecting was an established hobby are generally not subject to such a risk. It would be a pity if due to a short-lived anti-restoration fad aggravated by the PLOD these books were lost forever the way many of Bach's manuscripts were lost forever because his children, after his death, used them to wrap fish. (Bach's music returned to fashion a few generations after his death, but those compositions are lost forever). While CGC should dutifully report the information it is paid to report, it should not act in a manner that aggravates market pricing gratuitously (again, read the thread for more detail) or discourages necessary conservation.

Thank you "AllTop8me", that covers many of my topics and cencerns.

Also, one COULD say the purple and green colors are racist in nature. Think about it. They are discriminated against and thought of as "lesser creatures" by comparision to their blue-labeled brothers.

Obviously I am being obsurd here, but color-coding and putting "labels" on them seems wrong, no matter what the venue, and naturally they will be looked down upon as inferior. The PLOD & GLOD simply puts a lit match on a gas-soaked situation.

Make all the labels blue and put a big fat "Q" for qualified and "R" for restored next to the big fat numerical grade and the PLOD & GLOD situation will fix itself.

Timely

My 2 cents:

All books should be graded using the same criteria, regardless of age.

Whatever you want to call it, restoration is restoration. Period.

From the most insignificant color touch to extensive reconstruction, consumers should be able to easily distinguish these books from "unaltered" copies. The purple label serves this purpose perfectly.

CGC can help by making more extensive notes available for books that receive this classification. Collectors who are interested in owning restored books can make their purchase decision based on this information. Just as it does with high grade blue labels, consumer demand will determine the market value. Read the label, buy the book!

From the most insignificant color touch to extensive reconstruction, consumers should be able to easily distinguish these books from "unaltered" copies. The purple label serves this purpose perfectly.

Is an ARRIVAL DATE, DISTRIBUTION INK, A KID"S NAME SCRIBBLED ON THE BOOK, -----------"UNALTERED".

I don't think so.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Read the label, buy the book!

Isn't that my point?

Read the label, don't look a the color of it. If all the books were graded...

9.4Q

9.4R...

with one color label you would READ the label as opposed to seeing purple and moving on. I have done that myself dozens of times over!

One time I actually took the time to read the labels and was quite surprised. Many of the books only had MINOR tear mends, glue or CT. Some others were extensively restored, yet all books were passed by.

If the 9.4, 9.4Q and 9.4R (all blue) labels were inacted by CGC we would be forced to actually read those labels and look at those beautiful books. And hey, if they are still worth only 5% of their unrestored brothers then that's the market...but don't throw them in a different colored label and expect them to flurish as a collectible, just not gonna happen folks.

Timely

Timely's suggestion is a good one and I support getting rid of the

purple label 100%. I originally signed on to these boards to make

the same recommendation and the discussions over the past 18

months have only reinforced my opinion about this (at least for

Golden Age books, Silver is an entirely different story that I won't

comment on).

The bottom line is that the PLOD is living on borrowed time: it is

inconsistent, random and unfair on several different levels. More

importantly, CGC has an obvious financial incentive to get rid of

it. Ironically, the longer they keep it, the more they will profit by

taking it out.