• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Time for CGC to get rid of the PLOD & GLOD, they serve no purpose!

212 posts in this topic

The bottom line is that the PLOD is living on borrowed time: it is

inconsistent, random and unfair on several different levels. More

importantly, CGC has an obvious financial incentive to get rid of

it. Ironically, the longer they keep it, the more they will profit by

taking it out.

Yup.... planned obsolescence. When the new submissions start to trend down, CGC announces an alternative to the PLOD. That's what I would do if I was the marketing guy....

When/if the PLOD goes, waiting time for reslabbing will be 3 years. 893whatthe.gif

Here is another thought. What is the goal of CGC?

1. Make a profit

2. Grade books.

What should their goal NEVER be?

1. Unfairly influence the market in a negative way.

2. Change the perception of a book.

The PLOD & GLOD breaks those last two rules, assuming those are the rules CGC cares to follow. I'm sure those goals and rules are at the forefront of every CGC staff meeting.

Timely

From the most insignificant color touch to extensive reconstruction, consumers should be able to easily distinguish these books from "unaltered" copies. The purple label serves this purpose perfectly.

Is an ARRIVAL DATE, DISTRIBUTION INK, A KID"S NAME SCRIBBLED ON THE BOOK, -----------"UNALTERED".

I don't think so.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Fair enough. What I'm concerned about here is alteration that is performed to improve the appearance of a book. As with restoration, the desirability of books with the above mentioned markings is very subjective, and is based on a collector's personal preferences.

I'm gonna stick my 2 cents in.

I've been sitting back reading all these posts about RESTORED and I just have to comment.

First of all not all of the comics that are graded RESTORED are restored. More like DOCTORED-UP. Not done by the pros. Poor attempts. These books shouldn't be labeled RESTORED. I believe these should be labeled blue and noted in the comments about its restoration or so-called attempt at restoration. I feel that way about all restored books by the way. The purple and green labels do nothing but cause grief for everyone. What is so wrong about having a blue label for a restored comic? As long as its noted its restored or doctored-up, what difference does it make. I've seen more 1.0 blue labels sell faster then any purple or green labeled book. So lets make um all blue labels. I'm not saying to do away with the restoration check by CGC. I'm just for doing away with the purple & green labels.

As for the QUALIFIED labels. The QUALIFIED labels make no sense to me. Why are there no qualified 10's? To say a comic is qualfied a certain grade but is missing staples or some other reason just doesn't make sense. Just slap the blue label on um and give its appropriate grade. Seems like a lot of overkill to be qualifing a comic just to say its a whatever grade.

One color label is fine by me.

What I would rather see is a different label for PEDIGREE books.

The real problem is not about the colored labels with restoration (even though all blue with restoration clearly noted would be acceptable with me).

The real problem is:

How is a book with a speck of color touch worth only 1/3 the value of the same universally graded book that could easily have:

1) Miscuts

2) Arrival Dates

3) Huge amount of distribution ink dripping on the top cover

4) Long printer creases

5) A persons name scribbled on the cover

CGC decided a long time ago, to either not represent that in their notes, or as the case with arrival dates, removed the notes later on. So there is precedence for change.

Amen! It's amazing to me, and somewhat frightening, that a GA book with a drop of glue on a staple, or tiny amount of color touch (which is far less obtrusive and distracting than many a grease pencil arrival date or kid's signature which is not factored into the grade negatively) will cause an other wise beautiful book to sell for 1/3 of the price a universal blue label copy would. Yes, a restored copy with massive resto, pieces added etc. should be regarded as less valuable, but buyers don't seem to discern at that level; if it's in a purple slab, it's a leper among comics.

Not sure that putting everything in blue slabs is the solution, tho - I think that *would* cause restored books to sell for somewhat more than they do now, but maybe there's a better way to reach that goal.

The bottom line is that the PLOD is living on borrowed time: it is

inconsistent, random and unfair on several different levels. More

importantly, CGC has an obvious financial incentive to get rid of

it. Ironically, the longer they keep it, the more they will profit by

taking it out.

Hear, hear! I agree 100%. Though I assume CGC will offer to reslab PLODs at a fair price ($10?), they may feel that they're obligated to re-grade the book entirely, in which case the cost would be back to the usual amount... either way, what % of PLOD books would be resubmitted - 75% confused.gif That's a lot of 'new subs' that CGC can almost invoke anytime they have a slowdown in submissions. I do think it will happen. smile.gifjuggle.gif

I see nothing wrong with the way PLOD books are presently classified. Books that have slight, moderate, and extensive work are categorized and whether the work is amateurish or professional also is categorized. It's a good system allowing for a wide range of description by combining the type of work and whether it is reversible or not. Kudos there!!!!

The only confusion I see is in the use of green grades, and the blue grades that include color touch.

A green label denotes a qualified grade, and yet any problem on a comic that isn't perfect can be called a qualifyer:

"Piece of tape on the back cover or it would be a NM". To me, that's not a green label, or qualifyed NM. That's a Universal VG!! It has tape on it depite the rest of it being a NM comic.

Also, I'm confused about the use of a blue label when there is color touch involved. Now I know that this is primarely on Golden age comics but since Golden age books are classified Purple grades as well when they have work done, why aren't any and all comics with discovered color touch put in the PLOD. That's what the purple label is for. To identify alteration done to improve the appearance of a comic. These books really belong in a purple holder with the "slight", or possibly a new classification, "minute" designation since that is what exists on the comic. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I don't have time to read all 100 posts about this subject but the SOLUTION can be borrowed from Pacific Comics Exchange's 3rd party grading system developed way back in 1990 pre-eBay. Cgc could issue a 1 pg. grading certificate to EDUCATE the masses as to slight, moderate or extensive resto:

pce1.jpg

Also for those elite collectors who keep on harping about a point system for Quality of Production, PCE's 3rd party grading from 1990 (pre-CGC) DID take into consideration manufacturing defects i.e. off-center cut, nut-sack creases, staple placement, distributor's ink. gossip.gif

Also note POST-manufacturing defects such as arrival dates:

pce2.jpg

CGC is doing itself a disservice by not moving towards more descriptive grading and restoration descriptions as Roter's worksheets display. They don't necessarily have to break it down into that many categories, but breaking the overall grade down into at least a few subcategories is inevitable. It happened in coins and cards, and it will happen in comics. Grading subcategories are even MORE useful to comics than coins or cards; a comic is a much larger and more complex item than those other collectibles.

CGC is in an absolute golden position to be the first to innovate comic book grading by assigning numerical grades to qualitative subcategories...if they don't do it within the next few years, they will lose the benefit of their early position in the certified comics market and a competitor will have a great opportunity to steal market share by doing it themselves. I can't decide whether they think it would be too great a change, or whether they think it would add too much grading time to every book they evaluate. I'm convinced it wouldn't add more than 10 to 20 seconds grading time to each book if the fields are made available in the software they enter the grades and notes into; the hardest part is changing mindset and procedure to get used to a slightly different grading method.

One big potential benefit to grading subcategories is that it might make grading more consistent. If one grader is able to look at the individual grades given to each subcategory by another grader, then they should have a better idea what caused the other grader to come up with their grades and resolve grading disagreements more efficiently. The 25-notch scale is a crapshoot right now; subcategories are a necessary step to reducing the margin of error inherent in the scale.

So you'd like to make a restored book look almost identical to a non-restored book? Isn't the whole goal of disclose to make it easily known the book is restored? You're going borderline back to undisclosed restoration there. The should be a diff colored label for restored books. I have no opinion on Qualified books, but I don't believe a restored book should be a "sheep" in "wolfs" clothing.

Brian

Oh god. It's happened. Murph made sense. :::chomps down on cyanide pill:::

Yeah weird huh? I can't believe so many people want to blur restoration with non-restoration. Simply doesn't make sense to me. I can, with an honest face say, that if restored books and unrestored books are blurred in such a fashion. I will quit collecting. Restored books are restored. Non-restored books are not. They should be differentiated because they ARE different. Whatever makes it more likely that the avg collector KNOWS they're restored is fine with me. Simply put, putting universal labels with Q's and R's does not significantly diffentiate the two. The only thing you accomplish by sticking everything under one roof is the likelihood of undisclosed restoration.

Brian

I can't believe so many people want to blur restoration with non-restoration. Simply doesn't make sense to me.

I'm can't believe we're having this discussion either. One of the topics that gets widespread condemnation on this Forum is restoration scams. With all these existing arguments, the fact people want to take away a facet that clearly distinguishes altered comics seems a bit hypocritical......

Jim