• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Twilight smashes Dark Knights record on opening day!

163 posts in this topic

I feel the testosterone draining out of my body as I say this, but my wife dragged me to see it last night. The movie was actually not bad, but the audience was composed of a) Teenage girls, b) Overweight mid-twenties females geeks and c) me... The giddy giggles and sighs everytime Jake or Edward took off their shirts was almost too much to take.
I recommend renting the new Star Trek movie to get your testosterone levels back to normal (thumbs u

I see that this movie has much lower ratings than the first one. The first one was at 49 percent, and this one only cracks 30 percent. It will probably still crack 400 million, but I am hoping this *spoon* does not replace Dark Knight as second most of all time.
OH GOD NO!!! :cry:

I see that this movie has much lower ratings than the first one. The first one was at 49 percent, and this one only cracks 30 percent. It will probably still crack 400 million, but I am hoping this *spoon* does not replace Dark Knight as second most of all time.
OH GOD NO!!! :cry:

lol This reminds me of the cries of anguish from the fanboys when "Titanic" eclipsed "Star Wars".

I`m not the producer, director, studio owner or otherwise involved with Dark Knight or Twilight, nor do I get any kind of benefit from either movie`s box office performance. So basically, I don`t give a mess where they rank relative to each other in box office gross, and don`t understand why any other non-related person would either.

For what it`s worth, though, I doubt this movie will surpass Dark Knight Returns. What separated Dark Knight was its staying power, as word of mouth spread about Ledger`s performance and the overall quality of the movie, which brought in a lot of non-fanboy customers in after the opening weekend and continued doing so for weeks afterwards. Most critically, its second week dropped less than 50% from the opening weekend, and then the third weekend dropped less than 50% from the second weekend, and so on, which is usually a good sign of a genuine box office hit. My guess is the Twilight movie will plunge by much more than 50% from the opening weekend and will keep dropping at a geometric rate.

preteen girls are sheep. it has always been thus

lol As opposed to all the fanboys religiously flocking to whatever comic-related POS Hollywood deigns to bring to the big screen.

I`m reading this thread and just can`t shake the image of a glass house.

:screwy:

i couldn't give a :censored: about how this movie does relative to others. in the last ten years the only 2 comic-themed movies i've seen in the theatre were Iron Man and the first X-Men movie.

but preteen girls will flock like sheep to whatever is fed to them in much greater numbers than any other group you can name. whether its NKotB, this Twilight crapola etc

yeah, sure, no doubt. i saw it in its first week, since i had been hearing for months how expensive it was and i knew Cameron was going to do amazing stuff with the cgi, but without leo bringing in the "ladies" that film does half the box office.

titanic wasn't even really what i was thinking of, though

What I was thinking Exactly!!

lol As opposed to all the fanboys religiously flocking to whatever comic-related POS Hollywood deigns to bring to the big screen.

The movie is making kids happy.

I have to agree with this, but that still doesn't change the fact that they are really freaking bad.

I'm not worried about it beating TDK in sales--A movie was bound to come out eventually and beat out its opening weekend sales. I very highly doubt, however, that it will become the second highest grossing movie of all time. I am positive however, that it will have strong ticket sales through Thanksgiving...and then drop.

lol This reminds me of the cries of anguish from the fanboys when "Titanic" eclipsed "Star Wars".

And Star Wars wasn't even the highest grossing film at that time....

It was more about the ultimate "girl`s movie" beating out the ultimate "boy`s movie". My attitude to that was "Whatever". If your self-worth is that wrapped up in whether a movie is more popular than any other movie, you`ve got bigger problems to worry about.

The movie is making kids happy.

I have to agree with this, but that still doesn't change the fact that they are really freaking bad.

I'm not worried about it beating TDK in sales--A movie was bound to come out eventually and beat out its opening weekend sales. I very highly doubt, however, that it will become the second highest grossing movie of all time. I am positive however, that it will have strong ticket sales through Thanksgiving...and then drop.

Oh, come on...we are big kids analyzing movies that were made for targeting babies.

They are doing what they are supposed to do.

If Twilight sucks, so does every Archie comic ever made.

IMO they are all great in their respective ways.

Bah. Titanic wasn't the ultimate girl's movie. ;)

That will always and forever be Sleepless In Seattle...

lol

There will never be a better movie than Sleepless In Seattle. Even if there is a better movie than Sleepless In Seattle.

:sumo:

Good point like all the fanboys who flocked to see Transformers 2 so far the highest grossing US picture of 2009.

One group goes and sees vampires, then another group sees giant robots battle.

is there really much difference?

tf2.jpg

Good point like all the fanboys who flocked to see Transformers 2 so far the highest grossing US picture of 2009.

One group goes and sees vampires, then another groups sees giant robots battle.

tf2.jpg

duh!

robots are not vampires!

lol

tf2.jpg

Well Transformers sucked royally. I fell asleep...

I`m reading this thread and just can`t shake the image of a glas :makepoint: s house.

tf2.jpg

duh!

robots are not vampires!

lol

Dont worry, in a couple summers I am sure you will be seeing Killer Robot Vampires! :makepoint: