• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Atom

15 posts in this topic

That can be said for many an artist in that day and age. They were wearing their fingers to the bone, so they all couldn't be a masterpiece. :)

Let's not forget all the Key covers he created when he got to Marvel, ie; ASM 121,122 and 129, plus Giant-Size X-Men to name a few.

Judging by your username, I assume you admire Infantino, also one of my all-time favorites who doesn't always get his due props. (thumbs u

Ah.... he had some good covers, but I don't quite get his consistency. Some of his Green Lnatern stuff is beyond great and then others are just kind of blah

I'd attribute a LOT of that to the fact that DC rarely let Kane ink his own pencils except on some mystery/sci-fi stuff and westerns. There weren't that many Kane on Kane issues of GL or Atom, especially the earlier stuff.

Anderson had a way of making ANYBODY'S pencils look good, but I'm not particularly fond of even THAT compared to Kane inking himself.

Infantino's pencils rarely got their proper due with Flash or Batman unless you count the self-inked Elongated man backups (which are dammned good).

Ah.... he had some good covers, but I don't quite get his consistency. Some of his Green Lnatern stuff is beyond great and then others are just kind of blah

I'd attribute a LOT of that to the fact that DC rarely let Kane ink his own pencils except on some mystery/sci-fi stuff and westerns. There weren't that many Kane on Kane issues of GL or Atom, especially the earlier stuff.

Anderson had a way of making ANYBODY'S pencils look good, but I'm not particularly fond of even THAT compared to Kane inking himself.

Infantino's pencils rarely got their proper due with Flash or Batman unless you count the self-inked Elongated man backups (which are dammned good).

Yep, that's what I was going to say. Kane, like Infantino, was often "blahhed" by mediocre inkers.

I always have liked him and loved the Showcase covers. They are some of the best, especially 34.

SC 34 is an all-time classic, but many of the issues of his later series were also great.

One thing I liked about Atom was the way he usually fought common criminals. That was a nice change of pace from the super villian schtick.

I just don't think the Atom was that strong a concept compared to Thor or Iron Man. I mean, he did ok compared to something like Ant-Man. The time pool and sub-atomic worlds stories were pretty cool. But in general, I wonder if part of DC's problem with their 2nd tier was the flip-side of John's comment above: the reliance on mundane ordinary crooks instead of the worlds-shattering Kirby style on Thor, for instance.

I do think Hawkman and to a lesser extent GL in the 1960s suffered from this. The Flash was just about the only DC Silver Age solo book to survive very far into the 1970s. I wonder if the more fantastic super-villains were part of its success, since it was hard to come up with stories where the Flash went up against ordinary crooks (though they certainly tried on more than a few occasions).

I just don't think the Atom was that strong a concept compared to Thor or Iron Man. I mean, he did ok compared to something like Ant-Man. The time pool and sub-atomic worlds stories were pretty cool. But in general, I wonder if part of DC's problem with their 2nd tier was the flip-side of John's comment above: the reliance on mundane ordinary crooks instead of the worlds-shattering Kirby style on Thor, for instance.

I do think Hawkman and to a lesser extent GL in the 1960s suffered from this. The Flash was just about the only DC Silver Age solo book to survive very far into the 1970s. I wonder if the more fantastic super-villains were part of its success, since it was hard to come up with stories where the Flash went up against ordinary crooks (though they certainly tried on more than a few occasions).

give those silver age dc heroes some great villians and who knows how popular they would have become?

That's true about the lack of big-time villians, and how they probably would have sole more books. Now that I think about it, DC really didn't do much with regular villians, other than Flash. Batman and Superman had regulars, but most of their arch enemies originated in the GA.

Green Lantern had a couple of regular foes, Hawkman one that I can think of. Aquaman had a couple. Atom one. Adam Strange didn't really have one. Not sure about Wonder Woman.

They had their share of regular foes. Off the top of my head:

Green Lantern

Sinestro

Hector Hammond

Star Sapphire

Sonar

Dr. Polaris

Tattooed Man

Shark

Black Hand

Evil Star

Hawkman