• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

fenomenol fawcett fetish featured
9 9

1,880 posts in this topic

Spy Smasher 2 is another one of my favorite Raboy covers (although I can't seem to find a scan of my copy), but .... I noticed the other day that although Overstreet does indeed credit the cover to Raboy, GCD says Charles Sultan. GCD link

Any thoughts?

Here's a book that just turned up at the LCS......not mine, but I figured you fellas would appreciate it. I never paid a lot of mind to these, but saw an interior in a thread and was duly impressed. This one, too, has some incredible interiors. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

SPYSMASHER2.jpg

SPYSMASHER2i.jpg

Thanks for showing that first page! Take a look at the publication information on the footer of the first page -- this was published before the United States entered WWII. A strong anti-Nazi sentiment is portrayed on that opening page with a swastika emblazoned on the skull and the three storm troopers. I suppose the "Red Death" might have been Fawcett's answer to Timely's Red Skull which, if I recall correctly, made his first appearance in March 1941. Very cool page!

Imagine if that splash had been used as a cover. Instant Classic for today's collectors.

Here's a book that just turned up at the LCS......not mine, but I figured you fellas would appreciate it. I never paid a lot of mind to these, but saw an interior in a thread and was duly impressed. This one, too, has some incredible interiors. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

SPYSMASHER2.jpg

SPYSMASHER2i.jpg

Thanks for showing that first page! Take a look at the publication information on the footer of the first page -- this was published before the United States entered WWII. A strong anti-Nazi sentiment is portrayed on that opening page with a swastika emblazoned on the skull and the three storm troopers. I suppose the "Red Death" might have been Fawcett's answer to Timely's Red Skull which, if I recall correctly, made his first appearance in March 1941. Very cool page!

Imagine if that splash had been used as a cover. Instant Classic for today's collectors.

The Smasher looks like he tripped and is about to eat it, but the splash looks AWESOME :applause:

Picked this one up recently.

Master34.jpg[/img]

This cover seems years ahead of its time - I suppose it's the way the artist suggests real weightlessness with Junior's pose. If a kid could fly, that's just how he'd look "braking" in mid-air, ready to throw a punch. It "reads" as completely natural, yet completely fantastic. Can't think of anything remotely like this in other comics of the time.

What an amazing imagination Raboy must have had to bring a kid's dreams to life so vividly!

Raboy was simply on another level. He is a master of leveraging light and shadows to create depth and realism. Check out the shadows underneath Hitler and Tojo on the Master #29; and check out the shadow and light effect on the CMJr #4.

Looking at the Master #34 cover, it appears that the CMJr/Captain Nazi dog fight is taking place as the sun is setting and, with the German plane nose-diving in the background, you get the feeling that it's an intense, high-stakes fight. Interestingly, inside this particular comic itself, it's Captain Nazi that is bringing down American fighters that are protecting a city on the U.S. coast. Only CMJr can stop him. I suppose the editor told Raboy, "listen, draw a cover depicting the highlight of the story, but no way in blazes are you're depicting an American plane nose-diving on one of our covers."

What if Raboy had worked for National (DC) Comics or Timely and drew Batman, Superman, and/or Captain America, etc.? hm

What if Raboy had worked for National (DC) Comics or Timely and drew Batman, Superman, and/or Captain America, etc.? hm

I'm sure anything he did would have been beautifully executed but I think he would have been especially well-suited to draw Superman. I've little doubt he would be much better known if he had.

Spy Smasher 2 is another one of my favorite Raboy covers (although I can't seem to find a scan of my copy), but .... I noticed the other day that although Overstreet does indeed credit the cover to Raboy, GCD says Charles Sultan. GCD link

Any thoughts?

raboy for sure.

spys2.jpg

I think Raboy was known for being a very slow worker. The pressure of working on one of those leading books might have been too much for him ... or his editors.

No thoughts from Raboy fans about GCD crediting the cover of Spy Smasher 2 to Charles Sultan?