• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2010 Registry Set Requests

320 posts in this topic

I just looked at my Registry and someone changed My Howard the Duck Sets to exclude the 30 and 35 cent variants. Why did this happen? Is it a fluke? Please put them back!

John, the variants have been merged into a single slot with the regular priced book. You can either enter the regular price book or the variant in the slot. That's the way it's handled for all the other titles with 30 and 35 cent price variants.

(BTW, I had nothing to do with this change.)

I think BA sets differ based on what people have requested. I got the price variants listed in the Defenders and Marvel Team-up sets just by asking. I haven't seen them de-listed before, but maybe someone requested it. The X-men sets have one with variants and one without. That's always an option.

I originally requested "Waaugh! There is no Howard the Duck set! Please add at your earliest convenience." on 11/08/07 06:30 PM. Howard was added and for 3 years the set has not been changed until lately when the price variants were removed. I messaged Gemma and she responded

"I was made aware that the variants being separated in this set was not entirely consistent for the sets of this age and it was asked that they be removed. Would you prefer a separate set for the variants? If you would rather that the books be added to the original set again, I recommend that you start a thread in the Registry area so that you and other Howard collectors can discuss this matter. I am happy to comply with whatever is decided on from that discussion.

Sincerely,

Gemma Adel

CGC Customer Service Supervisor "

So I am opening this up for discussion to any Howard collectors. I do not know who requested to have them removed but I would like the set back the way it was. Yes, these are hard to come by but they are variants officially recognized by CGC and have census numbers associated with them. Other sets that I have include the price variants (Marvel Team-up and Marvel Super-Heroes) and I believe Howard should, too. Thanks for your time and consideration.

I originally requested "Waaugh! There is no Howard the Duck set! Please add at your earliest convenience." on 11/08/07 06:30 PM. Howard was added and for 3 years the set has not been changed until lately when the price variants were removed. I messaged Gemma and she responded

"I was made aware that the variants being separated in this set was not entirely consistent for the sets of this age and it was asked that they be removed. Would you prefer a separate set for the variants? If you would rather that the books be added to the original set again, I recommend that you start a thread in the Registry area so that you and other Howard collectors can discuss this matter. I am happy to comply with whatever is decided on from that discussion.

Sincerely,

Gemma Adel

CGC Customer Service Supervisor "

So I am opening this up for discussion to any Howard collectors. I do not know who requested to have them removed but I would like the set back the way it was. Yes, these are hard to come by but they are variants officially recognized by CGC and have census numbers associated with them. Other sets that I have include the price variants (Marvel Team-up and Marvel Super-Heroes) and I believe Howard should, too. Thanks for your time and consideration.

John,

I think that two sets would be ideal: an "original HTD run" set, and a comprehensive HTD set.

The original run set should only include the Fear and Man-Thing appearances, plus HTD 1-31. Despite the fact that issues 32-33 were part of the same numerical run, they came seven years later, without the input from the original creative team.

The comprehensive set should include the price variants, plus issues 32-33, plus the movie mini-series, the HTD magazine, and the MAX series in 2001. I also wonder if it should include Howard's cameo appearances (e.g. She-Hulk).

I agree with HTD. Please put the variants back in the Howard the Duck set. If not, you might as well delete the Man-Thing issues as well, since they are not in the 33 issue Howard the Duck run. By having the variants and the first appearances, it broadens the set and makes it a fun challenge to complete it. Also, it is fun to compete against the other Howard the Duck collectors. Although, Son of Satan comes first!!!!!! :devil:

John,

I think that two sets would be ideal: an "original HTD run" set, and a comprehensive HTD set.

The original run set should only include the Fear and Man-Thing appearances, plus HTD 1-31. Despite the fact that issues 32-33 were part of the same numerical run, they came seven years later, without the input from the original creative team.

The comprehensive set should include the price variants, plus issues 32-33, plus the movie mini-series, the HTD magazine, and the MAX series in 2001. I also wonder if it should include Howard's cameo appearances (e.g. She-Hulk).

Currently, there are 3 sets.

1. First appearances plus Vol 1. (Yes 32 and 33 are in there but it is technically vol. 1 though I understand where you are coming from)

2. Howard the Duck Magazine

3. Vol. 2 and Vol 3. combined ( I could see adding Movie Miniseries sometime)

I don't know about mixing magazines with regular comics ( Vol 2 and 3 ) as they are actually closer to Vol 1. than to the others.

I am opposed to mixing in appearances with the regular comics as there is much discrepancy as to issues (Is a last page cameo for a prelude to the next issue an appearance e.g. like Gen X). It would be like mixing X-men appearances with the titled X-Men comic.

Also, as we cannot have comics in more than one set having a Vol 1. and a comprehensive set would be impractical.

I don't have many pots to stir but always ready to defend my ideas to the DEATH!

But you haven't mentioned your position on variants...

Also, as we cannot have comics in more than one set having a Vol 1. and a comprehensive set would be impractical.

I don't have many pots to stir but always ready to defend my ideas to the DEATH!

But you haven't mentioned your position on variants...

You can put your comics in as many sets as you like. I have all my Avengers books in two different Avengers sets: the issue 1-100 set, and the comprehensive Avengers set.

Re: variants -- I'm not bothered one way or the other. If the majority of collectors want them back in the main set, that's fine by me. But without them in the set, I'm that much closer to passing you for 2nd place. lol

Guess its time I chimed in!

Firstly there is no right answer. This will just be peoples preferences.

Some people love variants, some people could care a less about them.

I see pretty much all the other sets in the Bronze age have the price variants combined with that particular issue number. Just going quickly through some of my Bronze sets the following have Variant issues but not as separate tabs.

e.g. Iron Fist, Invaders, Dr Strange, Human Fly, Marvel Spotlight, Marvel Premiere, Ms Marvel, Nova, Red sonja, Tomb of Dracula, War Lord, Werewolf By Night

I did not know that Defenders and MTU had those but I dont have runs of those.

My take would be that if you collected those books as a kid then you had the one issue. Since you probably did not even know about the Variant unless you lived in the one or two places they were trying them out. A complete set would be based on issues 1 through xxx. Rather than two of one issue.

Now some people just love their Variants, some people love just high grade books. There are way more Action 1s that there will even be of any the, for example, teen range Howie variants in 9.8.

Most people are going to get Variants in lower grade, still a few beginning with a 9. something but generally probably lower. Thats a great achievement tracking those books down.

I would be in favor of a separate Howard the Duck Variants set where people who do have the variants (or who care about them) can 'show them off' as the sets are designed to do. You could have a complete run of variants in grades between 8.0 - 9.2 and unless everything else is very high level it would get lost somewhere down the set grading.

In what seems like a less appealing argument you will never get 100% complete sets since a lot of those books are going to be impossible to find in high grade. Personally I have no interest in adding a 7.0 variant to a run of 9.8 Howies, again there is no right or wrong there. I dont think it makes the run more interesting or complete, again my opinion.

I would say make a variant set so people who have done a great job looking for those and have interest in those can show them off.

I just dont think the variants would be enough of a game changed in the rankings, in the howie set at least, to warrant the full howie set with variants and the howie set like it currently looks with them folded in.

I would support completely a separate set with just howie variants to highlight those books.

It looks like from the other bronze sets I mentioned above that the majority of people are not so excited about variants that they have asked for them to be a separate slot in those sets. Most of the bronze sets have them folded in. Looks like the Howie variant guys are different and I think they should have their own set.

Joe

• Administrator

What do the Howard the Duck collectors think about me re-instating the price variants as separate slots, but making them non-competitive so that they don't affect the percentage of completeness for the set? I prefer to not make separate sets for with and without variants from this point onward as we will have custom sets in the near future. I can also offer this option for other Bronze age sets that have variants listed separately (or not, currently).

I generally like the idea of two sets: one with and one without variants. Everyone can be happy-ish. ASM, X-men, Marvel Team-up, and Defenders are all sets that have the price variant listed separately. ASM and X-men have separate sets without any variants at all.

What do the Howard the Duck collectors think about me re-instating the price variants as separate slots, but making them non-competitive so that they don't affect the percentage of completeness for the set? I prefer to not make separate sets for with and without variants from this point onward as we will have custom sets in the near future. I can also offer this option for other Bronze age sets that have variants listed separately (or not, currently).

I am fine either way as I am the only one at 100% either way (#13 variant coming next month). But competitive-wise signatures get more points than non-sigs for some reason and the only way I can ever get ahead or even with Doc Joe is to make signatures the same points (I do not like signed comics and sold my signture one to Joe) and I have better variants than he does. So I say keep the completeness percentage without variants but keep the variant points for competitiveness. Confused?

I would be Ok with Cheetahs suggestion of two sets one with and one without.

I dont think this will suddenly spread to the rest of the sets as to be honest I dont think that any other collectors care as much as has been going on here, and frankly it seems mainly like its John that cares WITH GOOD REASON since he has a fantastic collection of HTD variants that he has worked really hard to get.

I still see them as being inconsistent with the vast majority of other Bronze sets where the books are rolled into one.

Personally I dont care about collecting them and I think his books would best be shown off with a Howard the Duck Variants Set where he would be number 1.

Again, there is not a right answer just different ways of doing it. Would having the Howie Variant set make those who collect them happy?

Personally I would like to see the Howie set stay as it is, as many people who have an issue 13 (for example) feel like they have an issue 13 and dont need two copies because one has a different price. I consider my Iron Fist run to be complete even though I dont have a 14 variant. I consider my Howie run to be complete even though I dont have all the Variants.

Variants to me are a bit like Sig Series; some people care for them some people dont.

I am fine either way as I am the only one at 100% either way (#13 variant coming next month).

Um... not any more, John. Joe completed his non-variant HTD set today... with a little help from me. :gossip:

He has 9.8s across the board, except GS Man-Thing #4 and #5 (9.6 for each of these).

I notice that as of July 20 (the launch of the new look for the site? the day the variants were removed from the set?), the points for many people with HTD registry sets changed/dropped.

My score dropped by 90 points on July 20th. The same thing happened to others in the HTD registry, but their scores dropped by varying amounts.

I didn't make any changes to my set on July 20th, and I didn't have any HTD variants in my set, so why did my score change? Were the scores adjusted for some of the books?