• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2010 Registry Set Requests

320 posts in this topic

Howie 1 does have some cross over with the Bronze Marvel #1 set so any increase would be reflected there.

I still think a higher score for it would reflect its . . . Mojo

otherwise ever comic could just score 10 for a 10.0, 9 for a 9.9 and so on. Part of the idea, obviously, was to have some relativity based on ...well we are not fully sure..criteria.

What score would you support Andrew?

Fear #19 and HTD #1 in 9.8: 480 points

Man-Thing #1 in 9.8: 420 points

I think that Fear #19 in 9.8 is a tougher book to find than Man-Thing #1, but right now Fear scores lower than Man-Thing.

I'd say that HTD #1 and Fear #19 in 9.8 are equally tough to find.

But wait theres more, now how much did I pay....

I think that a lot of bronze books have a big 9.8 vs 9.6 discrepancy in terms of price and scarcity and desirability. Iron Fist , Spidey Super Stories, Ghost Rider, Doc Strange etc etc etc are all a lot more desireable than the 9.6.

So I guess someone has to start throwing out numbers,

what do I think HTD 1 cgc 9.8 should be worth points wise?

truely at least 1200 but I would be OK with a value between 600-1000

No I would not change the 9.6 score.

Hows that for a starting point?

If you did it for Howard I believe across the board it would have to be done for everything. I do not know what logarithmic scale they use for 1.0 - 10.0 but consistency needs to be respected. While 320 is low (I always thought so but the level of my desire should not be a basis for points) I do not have a clear idea of rarity and hard to evaluate accurately for Gemma and those of her ilk. What type of formula is currently being used? Is it based on distribution? Is it based on cover difficulty? Points are inconsequential, just a starting point for the actual worth.

There is only 1 HTD #1 4.0 that is even rarer than a 9.8!

As we are well aware there are thousands of HTD in unslabbed 4.0 condition!

I think it would be a fantasy to imagine that there is some repeatable formula that is being used for the scoring of these books. This points system is not entirely random but not too far off.

There are books where there is a significant jump from the 9.6 to the 9.8.

Why not copy the Man Thing 1 set scores. Gives a higher score across the board for HTD 1? It does not really embrance the descrepancy between the 9.6 to the 9.8 that I think it deserves but its a start.

Not sure what you mean John with "If you did it for Howard I believe across the board it would have to be done for everything." ?

as far as I can see there is zero consistency between sets. a 9.6 is not always (for completely made up example) a 12% higher score than a 9.4. And 9.4 are always 14% higher than a 9.2 etc etc

And different issues in the run get different scores based on rock band appearances. Or sometimes other criteria. And those scores often have different increments.

Joe

as far as I can see there is zero consistency between sets. a 9.6 is not always (for completely made up example) a 12% higher score than a 9.4. And 9.4 are always 14% higher than a 9.2 etc etc

And different issues in the run get different scores based on rock band appearances. Or sometimes other criteria. And those scores often have different increments.

Joe

Because those issues are infinitely more desirable because of the appearance of said legendary rock band.

No one wants an 11 or a 14 except you motley lot. Everyone wants 12 and 13.

Not sure what you mean John with "If you did it for Howard I believe across the board it would have to be done for everything." ?

I think it would be a huge encumbrance on Gemma to evaluate everything everytime a new set is added. There has to be some sort of point guide for rarity or do we start basing it on the judgements of the OSPG? And then to re-evaluate every set would be quite a hassle (even though I agree with you) without some sort of formula. Otherwise we would not even have points for 9.9 and 10.0. Maybe every 10 years all sets should be repointed on a rotating basis. But if Gemma has all that extra time...

I think it would be a huge encumbrance on Gemma to evaluate everything everytime a new set is added. There has to be some sort of point guide for rarity or do we start basing it on the judgements of the OSPG? And then to re-evaluate every set would be quite a hassle (even though I agree with you) without some sort of formula. Otherwise we would not even have points for 9.9 and 10.0. Maybe every 10 years all sets should be repointed on a rotating basis. But if Gemma has all that extra time...

This is an old response of mine to someone who was shoe banging about tying the Registry to FMV.

The bottom line is that tying the Registry to FMV is and has always been completely untenable. Adjusting the scores to reflect FMV does not further the marketing purposes of maintaining the Registry. The limited resources that CGC can apply to the maintenance of the Registry are better used by correcting actual errors and expanding the number of sets.

I thought I'd put together a list of what the popular first issue BA titles were worth in the Registry so they could be compared to HTD.

Astonishing Tales 1 (1970) 560

Black Panther 260

Cat 360

Champions 320

Conan 2400

Creatures on the Loose (10) 760

Defenders 1200

Doc Savage 256

Doctor Strange 704

Eternals 180

Frankenstein 600

Ghost Rider 800

Hero for Hire 960

HTD 320

Inhumans 180

Invaders 440

Iron Fist 1250

John Carter WoM 72

KaZar (1970) 200

Machine Man 130

Man-Thing (V1) 528

Marvel Feature (V1) 1800

Marvel Premiere 640

Marvel Presents 100

Marvel Spotlight 400

Marvel Team-up 1200

Marvel Two-in-One 600

Master of Kung Fu 280

Spectacular Spider-man 480

Star Wars 480

Tomb of Dracula 2000

Warlock 520

X-men 94 8000

I thought I'd put together a list of what the popular first issue BA titles were worth in the Registry so they could be compared to HTD.

Astonishing Tales 1 (1970)                   560
Black Panther                                     260
Cat                                                    360
Champions                                         320
Conan                                              2400
Creatures on the Loose (10)                 760
Defenders                                         1200
Doc Savage                                        256
Doctor Strange                                   704
Eternals                                             180
Frankenstein                                      600
Ghost Rider                                        800
Hero for Hire                                       960
HTD                                                   320
Inhumans                                           180
Invaders                                             440
Iron Fist                                           1250
John Carter WoM                                 72
KaZar (1970)                                      200
Machine Man                                     130
Man-Thing    (V1)                                528
Marvel Feature (V1)                           1800
Marvel Premiere                                  640
Marvel Presents                                  100
Marvel Spotlight                                  400
Marvel Team-up                                 1200
Marvel Two-in-One                               600
Master of Kung Fu                              280
Spectacular Spider-man                      480
Star Wars                                          480
Tomb of Dracula                                2000
Warlock                                             520
X-men 94                                          8000

I didn't include Giant-sized books and could have missed some other valuable ones. Most valuable books worth more than 1000 points are (in decreasing order):

X-men 94

Conan the Barbarian

Tomb of Dracula

Marvel Feature V1

Iron Fist

Defenders

Marvel Team-up

HTD is worth 320 points, in line with other titles such as Invaders, Cat, Champions, Marvel Spotlight, and Master of Kung Fu.

I wonder how often people bee arch about points etc. Is gemma getting inundated with requests for tweaks? And if the nerds see something that should be adjusted then it's only proper to let her know.

Cheetahs shows that its basically chaos. Some books in that list should probably be higher.

Of course FMV is far from ideal but its the only thing along with census count that is objective. there can be endless arguments about the importance of character a or b, or artist x or y, none of which can really be won since they are subjective, but you cant argue with the price a book goes for, that's a fact. (-15% for all the shills out there of course.)

Most, I suspect, would also agree that it's a hard book to get in 9.8. Compare with Camelot 3000 (my fave series ever) which has very few 9.8's but that's clearly a no submissions as no market. I don't think think there are loads of htd 1 raw 9.8 out there, and I don't think that's a lack of submissions.

Joe