• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

closed

124 posts in this topic

Many of the opening bids seem high to me.
which ones?

Boy Commandos #1 in CGC 8.0 sold just weeks ago for $1793. Opening bid in the auction is $2400.

I'd start the Captain Midnights lower. Not a super popular title.

Even the Shield Wizard #1 at 7K is a bit of a stretch.

Hey Jeff ,

I think a lot of your books seem high when you list them for sale here on the boards, however they are your books. (thumbs u

But I'd never run an auction with high opening bids and expect success. You might not like my prices, but you always have the option of making an offer. In an auction with high opening bids, you don't have that option.

The thread was suppossed to be about "interesting items" not your opinion on the best business model for auctions (shrug) Bill has running auction for 25 years, his opinion might be more acurate.... (thumbs u

Also your example's are poor in my opinion , for example I think the Boy Commando's is $3200. in guide, just because some other person under sold doesn't mean Bill has to give his books away as well...does it?

Frank, I'm expressing my opinion. I understand that you don't agree with it, but don't try to censor me, either here or in ridiculous PMs.

No Jeff....you did, I tried to make it a private complaint directly to you and no one else...you took the thread off track....TWICE.

That's just factually wrong. You moved the subject to my prices. It's right there on page one of the thread.

WHAT YOU MEANT TO SAY IS : "You moved the subject to where I ( Jeff ) had already moved the thread off track".

Frank the title of your thread is Anybody see Vintagecollectable's auction ending tomorrow thru Sunday? How is talking about opening bids off-topic? Seems right on topic to me.

which ones?

Boy Commandos #1 in CGC 8.0 sold just weeks ago for $1793. Opening bid in the auction is $2400.

Hey Jeff ,

I think a lot of your books seem high when you list them for sale here on the boards, however they are your books. (thumbs u

But I'd never run an auction with high opening bids and expect success. You might not like my prices, but you always have the option of making an offer. In an auction with high opening bids, you don't have that option.

The thread was suppossed to be about "interesting items" not your opinion on the best business model for auctions (shrug) Bill has running auction for 25 years, his opinion might be more acurate.... (thumbs u

Also your example's are poor in my opinion , for example I think the Boy Commando's is $3200. in guide, just because some other person under sold doesn't mean Bill has to give his books away as well...does it?

Frank, I'm expressing my opinion. I understand that you don't agree with it, but don't try to censor me, either here or in ridiculous PMs.

No Jeff....you did, I tried to make it a private complaint directly to you and no one else...you took the thread off track....TWICE.

That's just factually wrong. You moved the subject to my prices. It's right there on page one of the thread.

WHAT YOU MEANT TO SAY IS : "You moved the subject to where I ( Jeff ) had already moved the thread off track".

Frank the title of your thread is Anybody see Vintagecollectable's auction ending tomorrow thru Sunday? How is talking about opening bids off-topic? Seems right on topic to me.

Like I have said many times before....you just don't get it Jeff, you probablly never will. Good luck to you :hi: this little guy is bye bye.....not a hello :hi:

which ones?

Hey Jeff ,

Like I have said many times before....you just don't get it Jeff, you probablly never will. Good luck to you :hi: this little guy is bye bye.....not a hello :hi:

I get it just fine, Frank. I only get to post what you want me to post.

This isn't a sales thread, Frank. Negative comments are made about all the various auctions(Heritage, CL, CC) here in the GA forum. As I told you in a PM, Bill can handle the criticism, and probably would not respond to it with the odd passion that you have.

Feel free to krap all over my next sales thread. Multiple posters will jump all over you for it. The rules are different in the marketplace.

I got your back. Even though I can't ever afford any of your sweet books you greed monger. :baiting:

This isn't a sales thread, Frank. Negative comments are made about all the various auctions(Heritage, CL, CC) here in the GA forum. As I told you in a PM, Bill can handle the criticism, and probably would not respond to it with the odd passion that you have.

Feel free to krap all over my next sales thread. Multiple posters will jump all over you for it. The rules are different in the marketplace.

I got your back. Even though I can't ever afford any of your sweet books you greed monger. :baiting:

:banana:

I will send the whole thread via email to Bill, he can decide if it is offensive. You have missed the entire point here Jeff . The thread wasn't called "HEY DOES ANYONE THINK BILL'S AUCTION PRICES ARE TO HIGH, CAUSE I DO" ?

Personally, if I were grasping at any reason to get offended by comments in this thread. I might have been more offended by Tim's than Jeff's. Of course nothing they seem to have said looks particularly offensive. At least not to me.

which ones?

Hey Jeff ,

:roflmao: NO NO NO...no no no Jeff, You my friend are going to post whatever you want to, whenever you want to....EVEN if no one wants to hear it :golfclap:

Bu Bye....Bu bye :hi:

which ones?

Hey Jeff ,

:roflmao: NO NO NO...no no no Jeff, You my friend are going to post whatever you want to, whenever you want to....EVEN if no one wants to hear it :golfclap:

You're a peach.

which ones?

Hey Jeff ,

You too, huh? lol

which ones?

Hey Jeff ,

You're a peach.

I am for you Jeff 24/7/365 :roflmao:

which ones?

Hey Jeff ,

You too, huh? lol

Much ado about nothing, ain't it?

I will send the whole thread via email to Bill, he can decide if it is offensive. You have missed the entire point here Jeff . The thread wasn't called "HEY DOES ANYONE THINK BILL'S AUCTION PRICES ARE TO HIGH, CAUSE I DO" ?

Personally, if I were grasping at any reason to get offended by comments in this thread. I might have been more offended by Tim's than Jeff's. Of course nothing they seem to have said looks particularly offensive. At least not to me.

I agree...I guess I just don't understand why people want to contribute in a negative way, especially when it is obvious that the thread was set up to be positive and help out a buddy during tough times? (shrug)

Is this really worth getting so bent out of shape over?

Sheesh. If I want to see this kind of over the top, melodramatic nonsense I will just go pick a fight with the old lady. Either that or go check out comics general. This is gold man. Keep it golden. ;)

I agree...I guess I just don't understand why people want to contribute in a negative way, especially when it is obvious that the thread was set up to be positive and help out a buddy during tough times? (shrug)

Oh, believe me, I understand where you are coming from. And I have no trouble picking up the flag and carrying it into battle for a friend.

But these are some pretty decent folks here. I'd be willing to bet nobody meant any offense by their comments. A snicker here or there or a comment about pricing is not really something I would wage war over around these parts. JMHO.

The only thing worth arguing about around here is pressing. :)

which ones?

Hey Jeff ,

You too, huh? lol

Much ado about nothing, ain't it?

I agree, nothing is correct...as in nothing you two have to say has any class attached to it .

Jeff,

I already replied and said I will be posting my opinions on your ridiculously priced books on your next sales thread. Before I ever came on the boards many "boardies" had expressed the fact that your books are usually priced way out of common sense price ranges. I always felt that type of information was just sour grapes from people that couldn't afford your books, now I realize they were right . However the difference between you and me is that I didn't go on your threads and c r a p on them with negative comments. Thank for straightening me out, you are a real class act Jeff :screwy: (thumbs u lol

Frank, as I mentioned in my PM replying to your attack PMs, you should really understand the board rules before you start posting and attacking people.

It would be against Board etiquette to criticize Jeff`s listings in any sales thread started by Jeff in the proper sales forum. This is observed pretty strictly. Even Doug Schmell, who has his share of vocal haters, doesn`t get critical comments in his threads when he publicizes his website or auctions in the dealer forum.

In contrast, your threads pumping Bill`s auctions are neither in the proper forum nor are they YOUR sales threads. Therefore, Bill`s auctions are fair game for people`s comments and opinions. Go check any thread started by genuine 3rd parties on a Heritage, Comiclink or ComicConnect auction, or even the Mound City auction, and you will see many critical comments. If Bill started his own thread in the dealer forum, I would be the first to criticize anyone who posted critical comments in that thread.

Bottom line is you can`t have it both ways, dude. Bill can have a criticism-free thread about his auctions in the less-visited dealer forum, or he can have his auction discussed in a thread started by a "third party" in the more heavily-visited General or GA forums, but then the auction is fair game for open discussion.

Oh, believe me, I understand where you are coming from. And I have no trouble picking up the flag and carrying it into battle for a friend.

But these are some pretty decent folks here. I'd be willing to bet nobody meant any offense by their comments. A snicker here or there or a comment about pricing is not really something I would wage war over around these parts. JMHO.

The only thing worth arguing about around here is pressing. :)

Well,

In my opinion when someone says "with prices like those they will be lucky to get a 10% sell through" , especially when the guy in question is like a brother to me and I started the post to be positive.....I don't see these two individuals "as some pretty decent folks" . If it was your bro, or your auction Hockeyguy I think you might see it differently? However even if because of their lack of respect for others is the reason.....I can thank both of them here, and personally as a lot of new bids have come in from board members ACCORDING TO Bill Hughes since they started showing their arses ...THANK YOU TIM, AND JEFF !!! :golfclap:

especially when the guy in question is like a brother to me and I started the post to be positive.

doh!

It`s an internet message board! :makepoint: You don`t get to say whether comments posted in your thread should only be positive! The participants decide what they want to say, subject to any rules that our hosts have set. If you don`t like it, go start your own 100% sunshine message boards. (shrug)

However even if because of their lack of respect for others is the reason.....I can thank both of them here, and personally as a lot of new bids have come in from board members ACCORDING TO Bill Hughes since they started showing their arses ...THANK YOU TIM, AND JEFF !!! :golfclap:

Yes, there is an old adage that all publicity is good publicity. So what are you whining about, then?

I hope the auctions do great. As I told you in my PM, I`m bidding on a few books myself... the ones that didn`t have ridiculous starting bids.

But I don`t like auctions with high starting bids, and I don`t like auctions with high reserves (or any reserves), and will continue to say so if someone makes discussion of an auction fair game (which is what YOU did by starting the thread here).

was your bro, or your auction Hockeyguy I think you might see it differently?

Actually, I wouldn't. Because I have an understanding of the rules around here. As Tim pointed out, this area is fair game for whatever commentary people want to put out there.

If a friend of mine started a sales thread in the "for sale" section and people started ripping his pricing, I would be all over them.

This isn't a sales thread. It isn't the for sale section. It ain't the dealer section or any other section where those rules, or etiquette apply.

IMHO, I think you overreacted and have continued to carry this on much to your own detriment. I think you meant well. But your execution and insistence on turning this into some melodrama is absolutely the wrong way to go.

You had an agenda when you started this thread....a couple of people made comments that didn't exactly coincide with what you were trying to do and you overreacted. IMO, if you had taken a breath, instead of shooting attack PM's and making threats towards others, you might see that quite possibly you have indeed made a big deal out of this when it didn't need to be.

I've got no dog in this fight. I don't know any of the players. I don't know Jeff or Tim or you or Bill personally. I'm merely calling it as I see it.