• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FAN EXPO CANADA™ - August 27-29, 2010 - TORONTO, CANADA

847 posts in this topic

1. Did I not say that they were given out on Sunday? We were waiting to find out what was going on too. We're sorry that there were delays and if this kind of thing is offered ever again it will be handled differently for sure.

2. I agree, which is why we are trying to get it for you. And I'm being open and clear on the problems we are having in getting them.

No one crossed names off a list of who received and didn't receive their collectible, so the company did not know who did or didn't receive one or a way of tracking it. What was done at the event was a hole punch on the Stan Lee Card as each item was received (except for the party). So an email to 100 people to come forward and claim something they already may have picked up was decided (wrong or right) as not being an option, especially when most people came and got theirs.

Instead they waited for people to come forward, as you did. You received a reply within a week of contacting the office, which is kind of reasonable.

We are still communicating the issue to you - we never had the collectible from Pow - they were to provide it at the show and they did. I'm sorry you decided, for whatever reason, not to come back on Sunday and get it. The package promised a collectible - it doesn't say Friday or Saturday only. It says it will be given out at Fan Expo. They were open about the fact there were delays.

However, we are trying to live up to our obligations and to get the collectibles that were left over back for you and others that could not get it on Sunday and we have not received them despite several requests and attempts since September. We will send the collectible as soon as we get it. If you want something else we're happy to do that instead.

3. That's a nice picture of an envelope. I believe that the book came in the condition you say, and that's not a stellar decision on our part to package it with so little protection, (just as it wasn't our best day when we decided not to bag and board their variants in the VIP bags either) but that picture doesn't say much except that you received something from the company.

If you want an unwitnessed (by CGC) signed copy - yes, I think we have a few. I'm sure it can be arranged. The triple-signed books Matt did went to Pow, I was told. We had a very small number of signed (Stan only) and unsigned in a box at the admissions table at the show on Sunday in anticipation that some people might come forward to discuss problems they had at Fan Expo. No one did, which kind of surprised me - but we have had a pr person contacting people with complaints and working with them over the last few months and we are making changes for next year. We actually had a lot of VIPs there on Sunday as well, more than usual, using their free admission option.

(as per your instructions Kevin I sent an e-mail on September 2nd and did not hear back until September 8th).

You received a reply within a week of contacting the office, which is kind of reasonable.

The email was also sent just before Labour Day weekend, so really, a reply was received within three business days. That's actually pretty good, compared to many companies I have dealt with.

Kevin,

We can go back and forth all day but an undeniable fact still remains: it has been three months since the show and communication regarding this matter is completely unprofessional and proves that customer service is not your main concern. Please do not skate around using words or phrases as "kind of reasonable", "sorry you decided", "promised.... it doesn't say Friday or Saturday only", "trying to live up to our obligations".

You said "we are still communicating". It has been nearly a month since James' last e-mail. Not until I post a legitimate complaint do I get a detailed response and even then you believe I am "attacking the company and slagging me". I am glad that Hobbystar trains its employees and followers to believe their own rather than provide solid answers.

You still have not explained why someone hasn't picked up the phone with Pow! and demanded they be shipped. When does it become unreasonable to wait? After US Thanksgiving? Christmas? Next year? I would respect you more if you just said that Pow! screwed Hobbystar and continues to evade your attempts to receive the collectible. Tell me and others that the likelihood of getting it is very low, offer the alternative and actually apologize with sincerity.

Don't make your customers wait without explanation like many of us were waiting outside the MTCC for hours in August.

(as per your instructions Kevin I sent an e-mail on September 2nd and did not hear back until September 8th).

You received a reply within a week of contacting the office, which is kind of reasonable.

The email was also sent just before Labour Day weekend, so really, a reply was received within three business days. That's actually pretty good, compared to many companies I have dealt with.

Jason - sorry but with some of your responses in the last few months you are either on the Hobbystar payroll, they are personal friends of yours or you're drinking their kool-aid. I could care less. It has been since October 26th that there was any communication so your initial 3-business day calculation could be a year for all I care.

I work in a world that if customer service isn't handled within 24hours when patrons are missing something they have paid for they have already waited too long.

Thanks for your input.

Actually, I do have one last thing to say... and that's that I don't believe that Pow screwed us over in any way. They explained the problem to us on Saturday re: the delay and they had the books there on Sunday to give out. They've said they will send the books for those that didn't pick it up on the Sunday. They've been busy and we've been patient - it's not ideal but we are not fighting with Stan Lee and his people over some variants that they say they will send. If it reaches a point where we don't think that they will send the books, we'll send something else instead. Right now we are still confidant they will send them.

I understand your patience has reached it's end which is why I said we would send you something else if you don't want to wait.

Actually, I do have one last thing to say... and that's that I don't believe that Pow screwed us over in any way. They explained the problem to us on Saturday re: the delay and they had the books there on Sunday to give out. They've said they will send the books for those that didn't pick it up on the Sunday. They've been busy and we've been patient - it's not ideal but we are not fighting with Stan Lee and his people over some variants that they say they will send. If it reaches a point where we don't think that they will send the books, we'll send something else instead. Right now we are still confidant they will send them.

I understand your patience has reached it's end which is why I said we would send you something else if you don't want to wait.

You clearly have an unhappy client. As a company you have an obligation to make things right. Waiting that long for something that was paid for is not right, whatever the circumstances. There may be compelling reasons why Marco does not have the book, however the company has an obligation to their clients . Why not refund him the cost of ticket and[font:Book Antiqua] if[/font] you get the book ship it to him. At least he doesn't feel stiffed and left in limbo for who knows how long. Would go a long way to rebuilding some goodwill.

Thank you for your input. Given the time passed, I agree that it's time to bring this to a conclusion.

What is the value of the give away Kevin? In all seriousness is it worth having a customer this upset? Is it worth the bad press in the thread? I did not have the greatest con experience at Fan Expo myself but I left with everything I expected to leave with and for the most part enjoyed Toronto, met some of my fellow Canadian collectors and picked up a few books.

I really find it amazing that this was left to fester so long over so little. Too bad you and the rest of the shows promoters were not around to see how excited Marco was about meeting Stan and getting in on the "Stan" package deal. He even made fun of me for not doing it. He exhibited the same excitement a kid would in meeting his hero, he went from that euphoria to experiencing a 3 month run around over a giveaway.

Take what you will from my post but I find the whole thing to be in bad form.

I know how excited he was. I talked to him many times at the event, kept him and Bruno informed and asked questions on their behalf and even advised him to pursue getting the collectible as I thought it would be a simple thing....

But for those watching and lurking...

Earlier in the thread you would have seen the elements of it, that what was offered was a special access to Stan Lee at Fan Expo package created in partnership with Stan Lee's company Pow! Entertainment, the limited edition collectible was added at the request of the company.

The package specifically consisted of

(a) a guaranteed chance to get an item of your choice signed by Stan Lee,

(b) a chance to attend a private party with Stan,

© front of the line and front rows access to his Q&A at the convention on Saturday (that ended up being a full house of over 2000 people),

(d) a professional photo of you with Stan and

(e) a special Stan Lee collectible not specified in the description.

All five aspects required the attendee be physically present to acquire them. There was no clause that stated if the item wasn't picked up we would mail them out.

Marco got 4/5 - he didn't get the undefined special Stan Lee collectible, which was not available (because of delays Stan's company encountered) for pick-up until Sunday and Marco didn't attend the con on Sunday. He wants it, and we are trying (so far unsuccessfully) to get it for him.

It was an X-Men 1 (2010) blank cover variant and looking at eBay and other sites I see one can be obtained for $6 or less. They were signed by Stan.

Is it worth it to have him this upset? No, of course not. It's ridiculous that this hasn't been brought to some conclusion yet. Now it will be.

Kevin,

I can tell you that what few, which were less then 10 copies left over, were handed to CGC on Sunday for grading and were to be returned to POW or DWC. DWC has in fact received a few requests from people who did NOT pick up their copy of the collectible. For those who requested a raw copy we have shipped out the collectible to those people. Those people needed to provide PROOF that they had not received their copy before we shipped anything to them. I do know of 3 more copies that we are awaiting from CGC/POW to ship out. I do believe that there are only 3-4 people left who did not get a copy of the collectible. DWC handed out about 90 copies of the collectible at the show.

In Kevin's defense, the handling of this collectible was troubled from the start. DWC was not involved with this collectible until Sunday when the copies of the collectible were handed to us and requested that we handle the distribution of the collectible. We were at the Stan Lee booth all day until the closing of the show. Now while I do not know of the communications that may or may not have taken place between Hobbystar and the VIP's. I do know that a Hobbystar representative did approach me at the NYCC asking about the books and I informed them what I knew. I can tell you this. If there are more then 3-4 people asking for this collectible, then something is wrong because of what we handed out at Fan Expo. But I have the utmost confidence that Kevin will handle this situation with his usual professionalism and tact that he has always displayed in my presence. Kevin, let me know how Sharon and I can help you.

Thanks Chandler. Our communication with the Ultimate Stan Lee Package ticket holders was that when we were notified the items were finally available on Sunday we sent them up to the area where you and Sharon and Pow were set up to get them and their ticket card was the proof of purchase. Since there were only a few that didn't get them, at the end of the day, we let them come forward and contact us, as Marco did. Since our dealings were with Pow we worked with them to get the few unclaimed ones back from wherever they were sent.

I know how excited he was. I talked to him many times at the event, kept him and Bruno informed and asked questions on their behalf and even advised him to pursue getting the collectible as I thought it would be a simple thing....

But for those watching and lurking...

Earlier in the thread you would have seen the elements of it, that what was offered was a special access to Stan Lee at Fan Expo package created in partnership with Stan Lee's company Pow! Entertainment, the limited edition collectible was added at the request of the company.

The package specifically consisted of

(a) a guaranteed chance to get an item of your choice signed by Stan Lee,

(b) a chance to attend a private party with Stan,

© front of the line and front rows access to his Q&A at the convention on Saturday (that ended up being a full house of over 2000 people),

(d) a professional photo of you with Stan and

(e) a special Stan Lee collectible not specified in the description.

All five aspects required the attendee be physically present to acquire them. There was no clause that stated if the item wasn't picked up we would mail them out.

Marco got 4/5 - he didn't get the undefined special Stan Lee collectible, which was not available (because of delays Stan's company encountered) for pick-up until Sunday and Marco didn't attend the con on Sunday. He wants it, and we are trying (so far unsuccessfully) to get it for him.

It was an X-Men 1 (2010) blank cover variant and looking at eBay and other sites I see one can be obtained for $6 or less. They were signed by Stan.

Is it worth it to have him this upset? No, of course not. It's ridiculous that this hasn't been brought to some conclusion yet. Now it will be.

Good to hear.

Wow, where have I been? Late to the party as usually. (shrug)

Chandler, I am confused by your post.

Are you saying that you have more copies of the signed collectable and you can ship them to us directly?

Not sure how Marco and I can "prove" that we haven't received ours other than looking at our conversations with Hobbystar by email and through this post....

I know that I still have my Stan Lee card somewhere that wasn't punched.....

BTW Chandler you might remember me - I know Sharon does. I am the crazy Canuck that got you the table from the nether regions of the Convention Center because you had nowhere to set up. It has always been my nature to go out of my way to help people - even those I just met.

I felt bad that you and Sharon were doing the witnessing, authentication cards and CGC form completion standing up beside Stan. I still have the gratis CGC form Sharon gave me as sign of your goodwill. So you can bank on the fact that I never got my collectible as I was not there on Sunday.

I even contacted you originally thru the boards on September 1st but then Kevin asked that I go thru James at Hobbystar. I would really appreciate your help with this.

Hi Kevin, I was also a Stan Lee VIP purchaser who did not receive the collectible. I have not been offered an alternative but did receive an email a few weeks ago advising that there was still a problem that Hobbystar was looking to resolve.

I did not plan to attend the con on Saturday or Sunday and only bought a Friday pass. I think most of the Stan Lee events took place that day. I don't believe that one can say that Hobbystar has fulfilled its commitments just because it made certain collectibles available on Sunday given the fact that the Stan Lee package did not give access for all three days. It was sold in conjunction with the passes which to me indicated that one could buy the VIP pass and go one, two or all three days and still be entitled to receive the items advertised.

I think we can all agree that there was a delay in the delivery of the collectibles and ideally they ought to have been available Friday. I am hopeful that this does get resolved as soon as possible and appreciate the efforts that you are taking to rectify things.

Thanks

Sanj

Actually Sanj, the key components of the package were access to Stan Lee's presentation on Saturday, and the meet and greet party on Friday. and the photo ops on Friday or Saturday, and the signings on Friday, Saturday or Sunday. In order to get everything you would have had to have been there on Friday (for the party) and Saturday (for the talk) at least, which require a weekend pass for value sake. If one chose to buy a one day pass they were aware that they were not going to get everything. Friday - no talk, Saturday - no party (although the party was held outside the convention).

The collectible was courtesy of Pow! Entertainment, which is why it was incumbent on them to provide them to the pass holders, and 90% of the package holders were able to obtain theirs without difficulty because they went on Sunday and got it.

If it was as simple as Hobbystar provides we would have had something there right away on Friday when people got their SL cards, and we would have mailed those who didn't get it that something item in September and this would be ancient history.

Which we probably should have done and will probably end up having to do now anyway. I've made arrangements for Marco and Bruno. I'm certain there are a couple of others, anyone else here? I'll need to confirm that either Chandler or James has your name down. If Chandler does it's already being handled by DWC and you probably aren't on our list, if James does we've been waiting for Pow! to send the office the copies that it turns out are in Florida.

Thanks Kevin.

You are correct that I made a conscious decision not to go to the talk on Saturday. I knew I would not be getting the talk by opting for only a Friday pass. I might have been one of the few people in the position of not being able to pick up the collectible on Sunday. Pleased that it appears that this matter appears to be coming to a resolution and will be happy to post on here to that effect once that happens in my case.

I will send a follow up email to James who was the last person to email me. I am not sure who else is handling things at Hobbystar's end but would appreciate if you could give them a heads up. Tough to be the lightning rod.

Thanks

Sanj

Just wanted to give everyone an update:

Chandler of Desertwind is a gentlemen for helping Hobbystar out of this mess. He sent two signed copies (for myself and my cousin) that I received over the holidays and I want to personally thank him for his time and effort.

I am still burning over this however. I have never received any direct communication or follow-up from Hobbystar since my tirade in November. They, Kevin included, left it up to Chandler to handle I guess. But to not even see an e-mail after the exchange that occurred on these forums is inexcusable.

Of course I received an e-mail inviting me to 4 days of disorganized mayhem in 2011 instead of 3 and I am sure it is going to cost more too! No thanks.