• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FAN EXPO CANADA™ - August 27-29, 2010 - TORONTO, CANADA

847 posts in this topic

Warner Home Video is a client of mine, and I'd forgotten they'd be at the show... until I heard someone calling my name as I was taking pics, and I saw one of the women I work with at Warner manning their booth - the one with the car from Supernatural. She was telling me about getting the car onto the show floor during setup.

Actually, the CNE is also a client. We do their marketing & advertising. The big thing this year at the Ex was Deep Fried Butter. It was a huge hit. Just sayin'. :gossip:

Deep Fried Butter in each Fan Expo VIP loot bag. (thumbs u

Actually, the CNE is also a client. We do their marketing & advertising. The big thing this year at the Ex was Deep Fried Butter. It was a huge hit. Just sayin'. :gossip:

I have been wanting to try some of that.

i can't believe some of what has been said. sounds like it is just an event that has out grown it's present location. were the crowds larger than expected?

What I don't understand is how does a show 'outgrow' a convention centre? Where else can the show go?

Warner Home Video is a client of mine, and I'd forgotten they'd be at the show... until I heard someone calling my name as I was taking pics, and I saw one of the women I work with at Warner manning their booth - the one with the car from Supernatural. She was telling me about getting the car onto the show floor during setup.

Actually, the CNE is also a client. We do their marketing & advertising. The big thing this year at the Ex was Deep Fried Butter. It was a huge hit. Just say in'. :gossip:

If my loot bag had deep friend butter I would have happily went back in line for more!

I think what really irritated me the most, was there was no lessons learned from last year. the same lineups occured, fire marshall halted people from coming in etc.

Forgive my ignorance, but when did that occur last year? I never once, had a problem being let back into the show floor last year, where the fire marshalls halted people from coming in. With last year, I was back and forth between the show floor, and my car, to switch up stuff in my bag.

This year was different, but in the previous years that Fan Expo was held in the North Building of the MTCC, I never had any problems with getting back in, or even getting in (not that I had any problems this year).

Hi Jason,

Wanted to introduce myself, when you were at the CGC booth but I turned around and you were gone in the crowd. Last year, they were halting people at the escalator, people could not go up from the main building to travel to the south building. They mentioned that fire marshall had put a stop to any more people going to the venue unless others left. I guess you were already in there or used another access point. I was in line for an hour, it did not budge so I left.

I think what really irritated me the most, was there was no lessons learned from last year. the same lineups occured, fire marshall halted people from coming in etc.

Forgive my ignorance, but when did that occur last year? I never once, had a problem being let back into the show floor last year, where the fire marshalls halted people from coming in. With last year, I was back and forth between the show floor, and my car, to switch up stuff in my bag.

This year was different, but in the previous years that Fan Expo was held in the North Building of the MTCC, I never had any problems with getting back in, or even getting in (not that I had any problems this year).

Hi Jason,

Wanted to introduce myself, when you were at the CGC booth but I turned around and you were gone in the crowd. Last year, they were halting people at the escalator, people could not go up from the main building to travel to the south building. They mentioned that fire marshall had put a stop to any more people going to the venue unless others left. I guess you were already in there or used another access point. I was in line for an hour, it did not budge so I left.

Hey Andre,

Was that when I was asking Brad about the process of getting a witness for when I'm getting my book signed, or when I was with Brad, filling out the CGC form for the book I was submitting? Either way, sorry I missed you. And Thanks for your help, Brad (BradleyX2)!

As for the travel from the Main building, to South Building, did they stop the crowd in that hallway/bridge? I never once had to travel between the North and South Building of the MTCC, ever since the con started being held in the South Building. I parked in the underground parking that leads right to the 600 level of that building. And even during the times I left to go get food (from the hot dog vendors outside of the Rogers Centre), I always just walked right back in, and then down the escalators or stairs (next to the escalators), and then right back into the con floor. (shrug)

If that is the case, maybe next time, just enter the South Building, from the main entrance of the South Building.

Hi Jason,

Hey Andre,

Was that when I was asking Brad about the process of getting a witness for when I'm getting my book signed, or when I was with Brad, filling out the CGC form for the book I was submitting? Either way, sorry I missed you.

As for the travel from the Main building, to South Building, did they stop the crowd in that hallway/bridge? I never once had to travel between the North and South Building of the MTCC, ever since the con started being held in the South Building. I parked in the underground parking that leads right to the 600 level of that building. And even during the times I left to go get food (from the hot dog vendors outside of the Rogers Centre), I always just walked right back in, and then down the escalators or stairs (next to the escalators), and then right back into the con floor. (shrug)

If that is the case, maybe next time, just enter the South Building, from the main entrance of the South Building.

I think you were fortunate, no one was getting in from the South or North building. You were just finishing up with Brad. I had my daughter with me, so she was asking me something. By the time I turned around, you were lost in the sea of heads. Maybe for the next show at Exhibition Place

i can't believe some of what has been said. sounds like it is just an event that has out grown it's present location. were the crowds larger than expected?

What I don't understand is how does a show 'outgrow' a convention centre? Where else can the show go?

True dat. MTCC is the biggest convention centre in Toronto. I suppose the show could take over both the north and south buildings. The Auto Show uses both the north and south buildings, AND Rogers Centre.

My comments have generally been negative, but I do want to say that I think it's brilliant that the organizers have been able to grow the show every year and that it is now one of the biggest annual consumer shows in Toronto. I, too, wish the organizers nothing but success in future years. The show may not be my thing, but I can still see what a good thing it is for the city and for the fans.

Yes, there are some serious organizational issues, as has been mentioned repeatedly, but it's still a top-notch event with a great line-up of guests, artists, and exhibitors. It's just not a great show for hard core comic collectors.

Hi Jason,

Hey Andre,

Was that when I was asking Brad about the process of getting a witness for when I'm getting my book signed, or when I was with Brad, filling out the CGC form for the book I was submitting? Either way, sorry I missed you.

I think you were fortunate, no one was getting in from the South or North building. You were just finishing up with Brad. I had my daughter with me, so she was asking me something. By the time I turned around, you were lost in the sea of heads. Maybe for the next show at Exhibition Place

I guess I was fortunate last year, and even this year (the two times I went back to the car this year, I was let right back in, and I never left the building to get food or anything).

I do remember the sea of people, waiting to purchase tickets in the South Building last year, but I walked right past them, to and from the car, and just headed back down to the show floor.

Hi Jason,

Hey Andre,

I guess I was fortunate last year, and even this year (the two times I went back to the car this year, I was let right back in, and I never left the building to get food or anything).

I do remember the sea of people, waiting to purchase tickets in the South Building last year, but I walked right past them, to and from the car, and just headed back down to the show floor.

I just told the security guards that I was Stan Lee's grandson and they let me right in :grin:

:jokealert:

I thought the convention was great. I got the premium pass and Stan Lee's VIP pass.

Here are my thoughts and experience.

On Friday, waited 1 hr in line from 2pm to 3pm before I managed to get in. I thought premium pass had privilege of by passing the wait... I guess not. When I got in, I was very disappointed with the ASM #638 variant as the copy was slight dented. I wanted to get the triple SS but it was pointless as it won't get a 9.8 or 9.6 for that matter. However, I managed to get the Galactus Action Figure! I got my ASM #638 signed by Olivier Coipel and at around 5:30 ish I got 3 copies of my other ASM signed by Stan and got Desert Wind to witness and sent to CGC. After that, went to Stan Lee's photo ops and since I had the VIP pass, was bumped to the front. People without it had to come back the next day. At 9 pm, went to Macool's bar for the Stan Lee VIP reception. I made some friends in there and we hang around till about midnight. And when we were leaving at the door, Stan Lee was just leaving as well so we managed to get a group shot with him again. That made my day!

On Saturday, I got in without any wait/line from the north building around 12 pm. Again, there was a separate line for the VIP pass for Stan Lee's Q&A @ 1 pm and he was awesome! After that, I waited in line for almost 2 hours for Summer Glau's autograph and at 6pm, went for the photo ops for Summer Glau. By then, the show was almost over.

On Sunday, again, I got in without any wait/line from the north building around 12:30 ish pm. Went around and picked up my Stan Lee VIP collectible and it was a X-Men #1 variant signed by Stan. Walked around and bought a ASM #194 just for the sake of buying a comic book. (Only bought 1 book the whole time there) At 2:30 pm, got my ASM #638 signed by Paolo Rivera and went to pick up my Summer Glau photo ops but was told it was delayed and it will be mailed to me. From then, there really isn't much left at the expo so I left around 4pm.

In conclusion, I thought the expo was great with such an amazing lineup of guests and artists. However, as mentioned before, the comic book section was kidda weak as there was very few quality comic retailers.

my experiance was not that bad, on friday i was near the front of the line to pick up tickets the reason got in late was because the car from supernatural was late , and they had to set it up before they could lets us in, the crowd friday was not to bad got alot of things i wanted, the floor set up was really good this year , it seemed like every time i walked around i found a new table.

Saturday i got there early and was 6th in line for the vip entrance witch we were sitting out side in the hotel part, the only problem with that is that the hotel dident know and started to get mad at us utill they let us in. did not have a problem with much on saturday unttill we got something to eat and tried to sit somewhere on the floor out of the way of any one and we got threatened, by a security guard that we would be fined 500 if we did not not move so we went down stairs to the second floor where we were told we could sit, then when all the mess hit the fan with the crowd we got told by a security guard that we could not sit there either so we were told we could not go up or down or sit anywhere or we could go out side and chance not coming back in , besides the huge lines and the situation with the sitting up stairs and down, we had no problem.

on the way home me and my wife tried to think of ways it could be fixed then we realized no matter what they do there screwed, they wont make every one happy.

if they put on a cap on attendes then people will person_without_enough_empathy because its to little or to much. then when they try to sell tickets and they all sell out before the show people will complain ,and if they put aside a few tickets for the door then any one who does not get a ticket and had to wait in line will complain. it will be like sdcc people will complain that they cant get in.

if they move to the north and south buildings together they people will complain that they have to walk from one to the other, then if they split the stuff from the floors up and put some on one and some on the other, then people will person_without_enough_empathy that its not the way they would do it. and the issue of capacity if they factor in the 2 sections and say put a cap on 30000 on one side and 30000 on the other and 40000 want to go to one side at the same time , again there screwed and it will be busy and over capacity.

they cant move anywhere, or they would have to move the date , and that would screw with other cons and stuff.

yes i think it was stupid to still selll tickets even though advance people could not get in, no matter what they do, the majority of the people will be mad about it, and all these people who say that if a big group does not go next year it will teach them, well there are about the same amount of people waiting to take there place

im not standing up for hobbystar im just saying all these people that say they could do it better are just monday morning qurterbacks type thing. i

I personally am prob going back next year, and from all the complaining on here, and facebook, they have no choice but to almost start from scratch and figure out where the problems are , or continue to have nothing but bad things said about them

There was a lot of misinformation as to why we weren't in the South building this year.

The reason why was:

The Joint Annual Meeting of the International Continence Society (ICS) and the International Urogynecological Assoctiation (IUGA)

23-27 August 2010

http://www2.kenes.com/ics2010/Pages/Home.aspx

The conference ended on Friday and we need the facility from Wednesday on.

i agree, i dont see how they can fix the problems without having a larger venue. once your inside its great, gettin in..not so much. that has nothing to do with kevin so no blame can be put on him. any artists will probably tell you they were taken care of quite nicely so kevin did his job brilliantly. kevin, can you transfer to crowd control now? they need you there. as for size, what about the international centre? is that smaller?

the problem with a lager venue is there isnt one, the cne grounds are where wizard world is , and im betting part of the deal is that no one else can go in type thing any thing bigger would have to be further from the city , and not being from toronto i can understand why some people would not want to go to it if its say the international center i i do not know its bigger but its future away , with mtcc being right down town its easy for people to get to by bus, subway, train , go every thing. so the mtcc is the best place for it to be , but if they do start using both sides like the auto show , people will just have to deal. Some people complain that the food court was to big other years so they made it smaller now people are saying its to small, people complained that we were down in the basement in the south building, so they tried the north, now people want it back in the south. I helped out at a big concert this summer in my town and all the people who did it got was complaints cause this band and that band were not there, he said that all he can do is please him self and just hope that others like it to. Thats the way hobbystar show do it, if you dont like whose there dont come its as easy as that . i would just like to see all these people who think they have a better way of doing try, id like them to even attempt to try to book a con of this size to cover 5 genres with this big of guests , its not as easy as people thi

Fan Expo Canada on the last weekend of August, is kind of a staple for them. I don't really remember the dates in the earlier years, but ever since I started returning on a yearly basis (from 2004, until now), it pretty much stayed on that weekend, except in 2006, when it was held on Labour Day weekend.

The C.N.E. is also held for two weeks at the end of summer on the EX Grounds, with the last weekend being Labour Day weekend.

There would already be a major conflict there, since the Direct Energy Centre is part of the EX Grounds.

MTCC is prime location for this con to be held, even though the International Centre would be so much closer to me, than downtown Toronto. I like it where it is.

Regardless whatever is done, people will complain. There will never be any stopping to that.

The DE Centre would never work. It's One massively large floor for a few VERY small rooms along the walls. That's one of the reasons the WWT didn't have a lot of programming. Their schedule was so sparse because we (Yes, I was on the "programming" team of WWT) only had three rooms available.

The South building is the only option to have a great show in downtown Toronto. All of the guests I spoke with, who had been in WW Chicago the week before made a comment about how nice it was to have a show downtown so you could see some of the city. So, moving it up to airport - even if we're talking years down the road - would have a negative impact on FanExpo, I think.

I had a good time at the show! And spent too much money. haha

I met comics guests such as Ethan Van Sciver, Steve McNiven, Gary Frank, Brian Azzarello, Doug Mahnke, Stan Lee and more. It was nice to see the the comic friends here on the boards, and to even have met new boardies too!

What amazes me is how many people turn out for the show. There were definitely a lot of sights to take in, such as Darth Vader and Boba Fett made of Lego, the hyper sleep chambers from the Alien Quadrilogy, a healthy group of celebrities, some truly fantastic costumes (there were quite a few very visible (and hot) Invisible Woman costumes. There was a really awesome Plastic Man too. I can't forget the Batmobile from the vintage tv series. There's a tonne more that i didn't mention, but the show was crazy in every sense with something for anyone and everyone. With a city as diverse and as thickly populated, with the guest lineup and everything available, as a native of the city, it's great to see the turnout.

If the budget was big enough, Hobby Star could do the Sky Dome (Rogers Centre) and both the North and South Buildings. But then people would complain that there's too much and it's all too far apart, right?

Big thanks to all the facilitators that put on a crazy awesome show!