• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FAN EXPO CANADA™ - August 27-29, 2010 - TORONTO, CANADA

847 posts in this topic

I have never and will never wait in a line for more than 5 minutes to get into a comic con if I bought tickets in advance.

just get a professional table.

I was at BCC and not at Fan Expo but I found one valuble lesson. Being a creator with a table made life so much easier. It's worth putting the money down on the table not having to wait for anything.

Despite the negativity lurking on the boards I'd like to state for the record that this was a successful show and if you've ever been to a comic show of this size and caliber then you'd be aware that lines and disappointments happen. The size of this show is getting bigger and this is just growing pains. For example; I waited to get into MotorCity Con one year for over 3 hours and that show was dwarfed by the Fan Expo.

I know Kevin worked hard. That's not in dispute.

I have been to WW Texas, WW Chicago three times, C2E2, MotorCity twice, MegaCon twice, HeroesCon twice, Big Apple twice, New York ComicCon once, FanExpo twice, WW Toronto, Mid-Ohio once and Baltimore twice.

I am well versed in lines and know first hand that things don't always go as planned; however, I have never been afraid to leave the convention floor for fear of not being allowed to return.

Bigger isn't always better.

I agree with Jim. I have been to many a show in the past two years, including San Diego Comic Con last month... Nothing compares to what I saw in Toronto with the line-ups and over-crowding.

I'm just glad I was fortunate to have walked around the exterior perimeter of the con Thursday night and get a heads up on where the line up would be. You didn't have to be a rocket scientist (Hello Fan Expo) to realize there could have been a logistical nightmare so that's why arrived 4 hours early - my only saving grace.

The worst things I saw -

Friday

No Line Management

They said doors would open at 12:00 to begin ticket exchange but it didn't happen until around 1:10, and when you got to the booth there were not enough people to handle the number efficiently.

There was no respect for the VIP and premium pass holders, in fact they didn't even have the line-up below the escalators initially set-up. (Remember when you saw me at the base of the escalator before opening Kevin? :baiting: )

Saturday

Way too many people in the convention center - Did they just oversell as a money grab or were tickets capped at a certain number? On Friday night I joked to another boardie (maybe Branget) about the Fire Marshall coming through and shutting the floor down because of the anticipated # of attendees the next day. Apparently that happened. It was not comfortable at all.

San Diego with it's crowds was easier to deal with since the aisles were wider.

Honestly what was there for vintage books? Jamie Graham and Harleys which we saw last week and D'arcy Farrels photocopies on his wall?

Big B is the same stuff as the small shows he sets up at and Comic Books Addictions limited stock, as he is my LCS and is more focused on magic cards and new books. I brought a significant amount of cash and was hard pressed to spend fifty bucks :sorry:

Jim

Same here. I was there and I only found 1 of 2 books (FF #1) I was searching for, and even the two graded copies were grossly overpriced by GPA standards so I sadly passed. It wasn't a very good show for buyers of vintage in my opinion. I'm not a HARLEY guy in terms of my budget, so I never even bother stopping by his booth anymore, which didn't leave me with many options dealer-wise. Without naming names, I just thought most of the other vintage stuff was priced extremely high. :P

I did pick-up some random TPBs and GNs I stumbled across by fluke and my first original art - a JUGHEAD cover by DON PARENT. I doubt I'd do the con again because of the crowd and chaotic feeling on Saturday. I prefer the more intimate shows with more comics.

I did get to meet SANJ from the boards and make some other new friends, which is what a road trip is all about!

I agree with some previous posters, this isn't an indictment of Kevin or his abilities. He is a class act and the show in no way should reflect negatively on him.

Jim

I feel the same as you do Jim.

Every time I bumped into Kevin he was where he was supposed to be - with the Pros, and was always friendly & had a smile on his face - he always took a moment to say hello and talk.

My only real complaint outside of not finding books (no one's fault) and too many people was the fact that the ASM exclusive comic was tossed into our loot bags minus bag and board, and of course was damaged. I'm not talking about damaged so that it was less than 9.8. I'm talking about FN at best from the handful of copies I got to see. Mine was folded and creased back and front. What's the point of giving a variant out if that's how its going to be treated. Part of the reason I paid for the PREMIUM PASS was to get some swag, but what I got was damaged goods...

I suggest either bagging and double boarding them in the future if they're going to be stuffed into the loot bags ahead of time, or keep the books separate and hand them out as people get the bags. I know it might slow things down somewhat, but I'd rather wait and get what I paid for instead.

Keep up the good work KEVIN!

I say we blame Kevin directly because he's able to bring such a fine line-up of guests causing these large crowds!

Next time sign up Al Milgrom and Frank Robbins!

What is this FanFest show you keep referring to?

loldoh!

Was I in the wrong place? I was down at the Direct Energy Centre on the Exhibition grounds. There were thousands of people there, but I did wonder why they had a big midway and why there were so few comics dealers. hm

OK... so there's another recommendation: change your name from Fan Expo to FanFest. And add some carnival rides for the kiddies.

From a 'guest' stand point (not me of course, but an all access pass as I was working with Doug and Christian), it was crazy. Now that means a lot of things...

Crazy as in the # of people coming up and wanting commissions, original art, sketchbooks etc.

Crazy as in the # of people that came up and complained all day long about the lines outside.

Crazy as in the # of people that warned Doug, Christian and I not to go outside during the show as we probably would not get back in.

Crazy how well FanExpo treated all guests. They went out of their way to accomodate each and every one. I have not a bad word to say about them nor does any other artist or guest hopefully.

The people that run FanExpo (of which I count more than a handful friends) did work hard to try and make it work. They will continue to look at the this information they are hearing and make next year better. I know it is sad that it doesnt make up for this year, but hopefully it is a learning situation for FanExpo that the growth of their show is getting to be huge and differences between ticket levels needs to be addressed.

I did only buy 4 books this weekend and that was before the show. I wanted to buy more, but much of it was $1 books (good for them and the majority of show people coming in) and I just didnt have the time to rummage through boxes. The con variants were great and well done and the 4 books I purchased were sweet to me, but was hoping to spend more.

There it is from me as honest as I can be and I wish FanExpo the best next year (the airlines, now that is another story...sigh)

Always a pleasure to hear from you Transplant.

Those of you attended Fan Expo, please continue to air it all... good, bad or just plain ugly... we need to know... please keep it coming.

I think what really irritated me the most, was there was no lessons learned from last year. the same lineups occured, fire marshall halted people from coming in etc.

I still don't understand what the purpose of having exhibitors (CGC and the Fan Expo booth) right at the top of the escalators. There was such a bottleneck there with people coming up for the show, leaving the show and wanting to buy stuff from exhibitors.

I went to complain about not being let, and there was one girl fielding complaints. People screaming at her and very frustrated. By the time it was my turn, I looked at her....she looked like she was beaten and dazed. I told her good work, the day is nearly over and that she should have help with this....I could not bring myself to pile on. I will tell you, you have lost my business as I will not be spending my hard earned money with you going forward.

Please do not take this personally as I could see first hand how hard you worked, but if more attention was given to patrons who paid, you would not find this backlash. There were still ticket sales going on when existing ticket holders could not return to the show... how does this make sense.

As a resident of Toronto, Kevin you have done a great job profiling the event and attracting great guests for that I commend you and your staff. I hope all the logistical problems are solved going forward as an event like this is important to our city. I wish you nothing but success, but having been burnt twice I will not subject myself to a possible third time.

Andre

Always a pleasure to hear from you Transplant.

Those of you attended Fan Expo, please continue to air it all... good, bad or just plain ugly... we need to know... please keep it coming.

I think what really irritated me the most, was there was no lessons learned from last year. the same lineups occured, fire marshall halted people from coming in etc.

I still don't understand what the purpose of having exhibitors (CGC and the Fan Expo booth) right at the top of the escalators. There was such a bottleneck there with people coming up for the show, leaving the show and wanting to buy stuff from exhibitors.

I went to complain about not being let, and there was one girl fielding complaints. People screaming at her and very frustrated. By the time it was my turn, I looked at her....she looked like she was beaten and dazed. I told her good work, the day is nearly over and that she should have help with this....I could not bring myself to pile on. I will tell you, you have lost my business as I will not be spending my hard earned money with you going forward.

Please do not take this personally as I could see first hand how hard you worked, but if more attention was given to patrons who paid, you would not find this backlash. There were still ticket sales going on when existing ticket holders could not return to the show... how does this make sense.

As a resident of Toronto, Kevin you have done a great job profiling the event and attracting great guests for that I commend you and your staff. I hope all the logistical problems are solved going forward as an event like this is important to our city. I wish you nothing but success, but having been burnt twice I will not subject myself to a possible third time.

Andre

I second this.

Forgive my ignorance, but when did that occur last year? I never once, had a problem being let back into the show floor last year, where the fire marshalls halted people from coming in. With last year, I was back and forth between the show floor, and my car, to switch up stuff in my bag.

This year was different, but in the previous years that Fan Expo was held in the North Building of the MTCC, I never had any problems with getting back in, or even getting in (not that I had any problems this year).