• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic collecting goals for 2010

137 posts in this topic

Well, in 2009 my only goal was to figure out what I wanted to collect. I narrowed it down to high grade copies of my favorite books from when I was a kid, and Conan comics with damsel in distress covers. I can't tell you how great it felt this year to have a focus instead of just buying everything that looked cool at the time.

This year, I'm heading in the same direction. These may seem modest to most, but I want to build a solid foundation before I start raising the bar:

1) Buy more HG Conan comics with great covers (now that I got my SS gift from paperheart, I'll finally dive into some Savage Tales/Sword, too)

2) Find a graded UXM 210 in 9.8.

3) Buy a non-Edgar Rice Burroughs, non-Robert E. Howard comic that features a damsel in distress so I can expand the DiD collection.

4) Buy a comic printed before the Bronze Age. (thumbs u

5) Keep reading and sampling comics that are new to me to expand my appreciation of the world of comics.

I also want to learn to grade, but every time I consider it, I realize that "good enough" vs. "not good enough" is all I need to know for now.

I didn't have a very good 2009 as I was laid off most of the year.

I hope in 2010 to

1. Pay off my credit card bill so I can start buying some comics.

2. Finish my mid grade Conan the Barbarian collection. Just the first 25

issues.

3. Finish Forever People slabbed in 9.0-9.2 range.

4. Organize my collection.

5. Post more on the boards here.

Maybe I will try to find a few more Tales From The Crypt to add to my registry set.

2010 will be no different than 2009.

Continue collecting my Detective 50-850 slabs.

Continue my All-Flash run.

Still buying up keys, and hoarding a few.

New additions from the past year.

Strange Adventures with Deadman.

Strange Tales with Nick Fury, and the Steranko Nick Fury books in grade.

Pedigrees.

House Of Mystery, House of Secrets books in grade.

I still also collect assorted covers I like, and plan to slab afew hundred books from my personal collection that are titles I no longer collect.

My goals for 2010 is to complete the silver age portion of the my Wonder Woman run. (I only need 8 more issues to finish the S.A. part :cloud9:) and then reduce the golden age portion by 50% (I currently need 50 issues to complete the G.A. portion). OH yeah and go have my Wonder Woman 201-329 registry set move rank 3 to rank 2 and my Wonder Woman 1 - 200 registry set move from 6 to 4. So if anyone has any Wonder Woman's they want to sell drop me a line.

Buy some art - Comic book originals or get a commission piece :cool:

Purchase some big books - Have the money ready when I see a big book that I want :takeit:

Get more GA in my collection - A lot of GA is not graded so I feel hesitant to buy it but for mid grade books it may be worth it to take the risk hm

Actually read the moderns I pick up or stop buying them - I've been buying Wolverine and Capt America for the last couple years and rarely reading them :sorry:

Get a pedigree book - Mile High just to smell it :insane:

Pick up a sig series - Frazetta perhaps? I'm not a huge fan of some sigs, I think they look ugly a lot of the time like Stan Lee's sig :sick: but Frazetta is awesome :headbang:

Finish off some runs to make my list smaller - I'm sure I'll finish off some runs but I doubt my want list will decrease lol

I'm within striking distance of completing three or more of my high grade bronze age horror sets. I'd like to complete them as a conservative goal. It's been seven years in the making, so it's about time.

I'd love to upgrade some issues like my #1s to 9.8s...and have money available for some of the more expensive issues I need.

Another goal is to liquidate any non-horror book in my collection to thin out numbers and allow me to pay off debt.

Contradicting goals that will need some delicate balancing.

My goal the last 2 years was AF15. Having that finally in hand, I'm not sure what 2010 holds in store. I literally don't know where my collection goes from here. Mostly, I'm just glad to have an AF15 that I'm happy with. Maybe I try to go after more Marvel big guns like an Xmen 1, DD1, or FF1, or Hulk 1. But it was hard enough to finally manage an AF15 I'm not sure how realistic that is.

One thing I know is having my grail really frees me up to pick up anything I want. And that's kinda cool. Will probably keep checking this thread to see what others are doing and maybe get some ideas!

-Rob-

Goals for 2010...

1) Reduce monthly Modern pull list to four titles (Jonah Hex and Lock & Key for me, Scooby Doo and Batman: Brave and the Bold for my oldest son).

2) Work on completing my runs of Chamber of Darkness, Creepy, Haunted Love, BA Jonah Hex, Josie & the Pussycats, Master of Kung Fu, Marvel and DC Power Records, Men of War, Monster of Frankenstein, Midnight Tales, Occult Files of Doctor Spektor, BA Sabrina, Savage Sword of Conan, Star Spangled War featuring the Unknown Soldier, War is Hell and the Witching Hour. Oh yeah, in high grade.

3) Add to the list Anthro, Bat Lash, John Carter, Warlord of Mars and Prez.

4) Pick up some Atlas/Seaboard titles.

5) Sell off two to four more short boxes of Moderns. (Just recently sold off, um, two.)

6) Possibly try to focus.

hm Let's see here...

Here are a few of my goals for 2010 though I'm sure I'll be making some adjustments to this:

1. Pick up 2-3 issues from my GA Train Cover list (focusing only on Batman, Detective Comics, Action Comics, and Superman).

2. Begin upgrading those issues from my SA Amazing Spider-Man issues--only the issues in PR condition.

3. Complete my XM 94-143 run (maybe about 10 issues left?)

4. Continue making progress on collecting every major Marvel key (FF1, Avengers 1, JIM 83, IH 1 top choices right now).

5. Tom Lyle Robin II pages; preferably action piece.

6. Pick up 2-3 more Marvel Project sketch covers (preferably with Spidey)

7. Get some books signed by Joe Simon and Jerry Robinson.

Goals for 2010

1. Above all other goals: Organize

2. X-men 1 CGC 4.0-5.0

3. Complete UXM 94-up raw run (need 8 issues)

4. Find a 2 & 5 to finish Cerebus raw and continue looking for slabs of 2 4 5

5. Buy another Albedo 2 (hopefully CGC 9.2)

6. Continue buying Conan the Barbarian slabs (collecitng the whole run)

7. Continue work on completing Raw Incredible Hulk and X-men runs

8. Buy more Shiverbones art

9. Continue looking for a Badger cover

10. Attend MegaCon, Heroes Con and possibly one other major show (Baltimore or SDCC?)