• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Most Coveted OA of 2009...

20 posts in this topic

Great topic , I agree.

However, I would wager several of the most coveted pieces that changed hands in 2009 might not be public knowledge unless they changed hands at auction.

The nature of this hobby, some people are not quick to divulge pieces moving at the very top end unless they are dealers.

Look at Dave Mandel's gallery. They are pretty much all there. He had a pretty good year.

I didn't pay much attention to comics in 09 to know what would endure.

Hardly any of Dave Mandel's newer and most impressive postings were acquired this year. He simply had not chosen to display them until recently.

Scott Williams

Great topic, but a total non-starter on a public message board. Surf CAF Market Data, Heritage archives, etc. for public sales. But, as Chris notes, I doubt many people will step up with private sales data, at least not here.

Or, better yet, why don't you tell us something about yourself? Like who you are, for starters? (And no, I don't think this poster is a KK shill.) And then list all the art you've bought in the last year with purchase price.

If you're at all hesitant to do so, then you'll understand why others might be as well.

Great topic -- also, what were the best pieces produced in '09 that have a shot at enduring?

This is a great topic, as well.

I go to the LCS every week...and nothing comes quickly to mind. In terms of comics, I don't recall anything that I thought was above merely "good". Lots of high-quality, enjoyable material, but nothing "great". You can also scratch off all the event titles as there will be more "events" every year.

As for art...same thing. But maybe I don't pay enough attention to that, since I mostly buy comics for story.

I thought this was a great piece produced this year (and go figure, it's in Dave Mandel's gallery):

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=574525&GSub=5980

But I only know it from seeing the actual art, I've never seen the printed comic. A fantastic piece, but I don't know if enough eyeballs have seen it for it to endure in the collective consciousness.

Obviously, I didn't see everything. Let me know what I missed.

Great topic -- also, what were the best pieces produced in '09 that have a shot at enduring?

Two storylines I enjoyed (might have been last year...) were Old Man Logan and Gaiman's 'Whatever happend to...' Batman story. Also, not sure if they were for sale, but art from Cooke's Parker GN. How about Watchmen? That TPB came out this year... (kidding, kidding...)

Two storylines I enjoyed (might have been last year...) were Old Man Logan and Gaiman's 'Whatever happend to...' Batman story. Also, not sure if they were for sale, but art from Cooke's Parker GN. How about Watchmen? That TPB came out this year... (kidding, kidding...)

I second the Old Man Logan staying power. Probably the best Wolverine story in decades, and top notch art to boot.

I'd add Kick-Arse (got to get around the board censorship) to this list too, even though it started in 2008. I'm itching to get some of the OA once it surfaces, if it does. Who knows if Romita Jr. will release any of it.

Here's another one, even though it came out in late '08 - The Joker HC by Azzarello and Bermejo. The nice pieces for that one got snatched up quick.

Where were those pieces sold?

Splash page sold them and Mick Gray (the inker) sold his share on his own. If you want Mick's contact info, PM me.

Here's another one, even though it came out in late '08 - The Joker HC by Azzarello and Bermejo. The nice pieces for that one got snatched up quick.

And then a lot of them were sold like hot potatoes, some might have even been for less than the original dealer price.

Definitely my choice for 2008 and then Old Man Logan for 2009.