• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your Favorite moments in Marvel this decade.

63 posts in this topic

Ed Brubaker on Captain America and Daredevil for me.

These were over the top awesome.

I think the first Ultimates series was also top notch. About as good as comics get.

Thor is turning out to be a solid story line as well with great art and writing.

Remember, my tagline is "Man, am I glad I don't BUY Moderns anymore".

I can remember hearing all the hype for Fables, seeing a few trades at the library, and finding it to be some of the most amateurish, idiotic dross I've ever had the misfortune of reading - it was like something Alan Moore wrote when he was 2 years old.

I know you love Bronze books. Do you read them anymore or is it all about nostalgia for you? Because I've read Bronze and I've read Fables, and Fables is like Tolstoy compared to some of the Bronze stuff I've (re)read recently.

RULK!!!

Ok, In all seriousness, I think I have only read Planet Hulk and Old Man Logan from this decade. Both were good. Old Man Logan gets a slight edge. I felt a little let down with the last issue but it was still excellent.

I love all the modern bashing, but the fact is the art and writing are much better now than they ever have been, I go back and read some of the older stuff from time to time...and quite frankly some of it is laughable.

I didn't read the terms of agreement all the way through when I joined this forum, so I must have missed the part where bashing moderns and waxing nostalgic about comics that probably aren't as good as you remember, is the cool thing to do, and a requirement to be part of this forum.

awesome to see all the DD love!

through and through, that title has been solid solid solid... the identity reveal annoyed me, but I thought it was handled well. no magic bullet to "fix" things. I'm even really enjoying this whole Hand story so far. DD vol. 2 is tops.

Cap 25 was also fantastic... it's becoming less and less so the longer this Reborn mess goes on, but return of Bucky was handled brilliantly.

I've also enjoyed Kick- for the most part...

Punisher MAX!

there have been plenty of horrible things at Marvel this decade, but there have been plenty of really good ones too.

I love all the modern bashing, but the fact is the art and writing are much better now than they ever have been, I go back and read some of the older stuff from time to time...and quite frankly some of it is laughable.

I didn't read the terms of agreement all the way through when I joined this forum, so I must have missed the part where bashing moderns and waxing nostalgic about comics that probably aren't as good as you remember, is the cool thing to do, and a requirement to be part of this forum.

I don't agree at all. My idea of great superhero comics art and writing has nothing to do with talking heads and over rendered, static images. Please, enlighten me by comparing some of this great work you're talking about and compare it to some of that "laughable" old stuff you're dissing.

I don't agree at all. My idea of great superhero comics art and writing has nothing to do with talking heads and over rendered, static images. Please, enlighten me by comparing some of this great work you're talking about and compare it to some of that "laughable" old stuff you're dissing.

There's good and bad in every age, even in the 1990s. Moderns haven't had the benefit of time to let the cream rise to the top that books from the 80s and earlier have had. That said, there's a consensus around here that several modern titles (DD, Walking Dead, The Goon to name a few) are excellent, top-of-the-line books.

I enjoyed Annihilation story arc, it actually made Nova (Corps) pretty cool. Planet Hulk was good as well. Also, the "Red Zone" story arc in Avengers was one of my favorites, especially when the Black Panther breaks the Red Skulls jaw. Then the 4 issue arc of Werewolf by Night in Dead of Night Max series was good for me. The current Thor run is excellent as well.

I enjoyed Annihilation story arc, it actually made Nova (Corps) pretty cool. Planet Hulk was good as well. Also, the "Red Zone" story arc in Avengers was one of my favorites, especially when the Black Panther breaks the Red Skulls jaw. Then the 4 issue arc of Werewolf by Night in Dead of Night Max series was good for me. The current Thor run is excellent as well.

Dead of Night: Man-Thing, WWBN and Devil Slayer I thought where all great modern reads.

There's good and bad in every age, even in the 1990s. Moderns haven't had the benefit of time to let the cream rise to the top that books from the 80s and earlier have had. That said, there's a consensus around here that several modern titles (DD, Walking Dead, The Goon to name a few) are excellent, top-of-the-line books.

I do read some modern comics...mostly from IDW. I thought we were talking about Marvel comics...not all moderns.

Ivan Reis vs Bob Kane? Whoever wrote Batman in the 1950s vs Geoff Johns? That kinda thing?

I'll bite. I started collected in 1989, and have read and since acquired Marvels and other comics back to 1962.

This was by far the best decade for reading. The main difference is this is the first time we've had actual published authors now writing a broad spectrum of comics across the board, rather than mere "comic book writers." Collectively, they put the comics writing of 1962-1999 to shame.

Examples: Bendis on Daredevil. Issues 17-20 alone. He took a minor villain who had only appeared in (Silver Age) Daredevil # 25 and used it as an excuse to explore autism, child abuse, and the mental barriers we build when reality is too harsh to handle.

The Daredevil vol. 2 run (post-Kevin Smith) is better than both of Miller's. And it got _better_ with Brubaker. Collectively, they turned a 2nd-3rd tier book into a crime masterpiece. Revealing Daredevil's identity was done _really_ well. And I'll take Miller's best (say, "Angel Dust" or "Born Again") and humbly ask you to read "The Devil Inside and Out" (82-87) by Brubaker. It's better.

Ditto Brubaker's Captain America. Like Superman, he's kind of a hard character to write well. The entire current volume (what is it? 4? 5?) has been _rock_ solid. And again--a 2nd-3rd tier book.

Hand's down, my favorite story of the decade was "Severance Package" by Brian Vaughan. It's basically a 10-page Kingpin solo story published as a back-up in some third-tier Spiderman spin-off. And it's brilliant--was reprinted in "Mighty Marvel Must-Haves"--basically they're "Best Of" 2001-2004.

Ult. Spiderman and FF. Made these books fun again, and readily accessible to a new young generation. Ultimates 1 and 2. What could have been a second-rate Avengers Elseworlds story instead turned into a better and more iconic treatment than they've gotten since the Adams/Thomas run.

Astonishing X-Men. Josh Whedon's run seriously compares to the Byrne Claremont run. Granted, he had an easy job since the X-Men had gotten so wretched in the years since, but it's _really_ well done and really fun for old-school fans. As has been said, read Astonishing # 4 alone for the reuniting of Kitty and Piotr.

Civil War was a good read as well as an apt allegory for our post-9/11 times re. Iraq, Afghanistan, etc. Easily my favorite company-wide crossover since the Infinity Gauntlet.

That's just Marvel, and mainstream superheroes. If we expanded it beyond Marvel, we have 4-5 Vertigo titles compared to the Swamp Thing/Sandman/Hellblazer trio of the 80s. Fables, Y: The Last Man, 100 Bullets, DMZ.

Straczynski's deconstruction of the Superman (and other superhero) myth in Supreme Power holds up next to Alan Moore, as does Busiek's Astro City.

For DC, Geoff Johns has been remarkable on Flash, JSA, and more.

And what would you hold up for the best writing of the Silver or Bronze Age? For Bronze, I'd go Tomb of Dracula, Denny O'Neil Batman and Green Lantern, Claremont on X-Men, early Conan and...what? For Silver, I'd say Our Army at War, and umm...nothing else.

The Dark Horse Conan is a pleasure; the Jim Lee/Jeph Loeb "Hush" storyline is one of the best Batman stories ever (and I'm a Batman fan who loves the Adams/O'Neill run and what Miller's done with him in the past).

Saying "you're glad you don't read moderns" is fine. But if you're really going to claim that the writing...esp. of mainstream superheroes, was better in the 60s & 70s, list some examples.

Gauntlet thrown.