• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

high speed internet test

89 posts in this topic

i know. it goes up off peak but generally i'm ok, not happy but ok. its in our office and our office is in the suburbs.

South Korea has the best speed according to a study. I ask a korean friend and he says is Seoul everyone is impatient so everything should be fast including internet. if its slow, no one will get the service.

i checked my home connection which is in the metro area of town.

660462009.png

better considering i pay $20 a month.

Download Speed: 6079 kbps (759.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 402 kbps (50.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

Latency/Ping: 57 ms

Tuesday, December 22, 2009 7:50:39 PM

Funny...I ran this test yesterday and was getting 1/6th of what I was paying...they had to reset my line. Ahh...much better.

663646127.png

Is this good, or bad, I have NO clue...I just know I like the connection and my computer is 4 years old, time for a new one almost.

That is EXTREMELY fast... Your download speed is measured in Mbps and not Kbps

http://tech.slashdot.org/story/09/11/04/2026206/Comcasts-New-Throttling-Plan-Uses-Trigger-Conditions-Not-Silent-Blocking

clang_jangle writes with this excerpt from The Inquirer outlining Comcast's new traffic-throttling scheme, based on information from Comcast's latest FCC filing. "Its network throttling implements a two-tier packet queueing system at the routers, driven by two trigger conditions. Comcast's first traffic throttling trigger is tripped by using more than 70 per cent of your maximum downstream or upstream bandwidth for more than 15 minutes. Its second traffic throttling trigger is tripped when the Cable Modem Termination System you're hooked-up to – along with up to 15,000 other Comcast subscribers – gets congested, and your traffic is somehow identified as being responsible. Tripping either of Comcast's high bandwidth usage rate triggers results in throttling for at least 15 minutes, or until your average bandwidth utilisation rate drops below 50 per cent for 15 minutes."

http://tech.slashdot.org/story/09/11/04/2026206/Comcasts-New-Throttling-Plan-Uses-Trigger-Conditions-Not-Silent-Blocking

clang_jangle writes with this excerpt from The Inquirer outlining Comcast's new traffic-throttling scheme, based on information from Comcast's latest FCC filing. "Its network throttling implements a two-tier packet queueing system at the routers, driven by two trigger conditions. Comcast's first traffic throttling trigger is tripped by using more than 70 per cent of your maximum downstream or upstream bandwidth for more than 15 minutes. Its second traffic throttling trigger is tripped when the Cable Modem Termination System you're hooked-up to – along with up to 15,000 other Comcast subscribers – gets congested, and your traffic is somehow identified as being responsible. Tripping either of Comcast's high bandwidth usage rate triggers results in throttling for at least 15 minutes, or until your average bandwidth utilisation rate drops below 50 per cent for 15 minutes."

That's good to know. I was able to download the Blu-Ray rip of The Hangover from Azureus the other night in about 90 minutes (a 4.4 GB file), so I still get pretty good speed even during periods of heavy downloading.

Thanks, Shin...I'm going to have my husband do the test on the new machine...I like fiber optics, no more lost connections like we had with Optimum.

Fiber Optics is much faster than cable, this will be the new thing everybody will want over the next 5 years, similar to like going from standard tv to hdtv. ;)