• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Complete Restoration Experiments

469 posts in this topic

I can see some of the CT in the scan; but I don't think there was a way to avoid this given the weird overlaps of the halves. The colours on the back cover looked washed out and bleak beforehand; if anything, they look more pronounced with a whiter border. Very good work! I would have no interest in owning the before copy, but would be happy to have the after - the true test!

I can see some of the CT in the scan; but I don't think there was a way to avoid this given the weird overlaps of the halves. The colours on the back cover looked washed out and bleak beforehand; if anything, they look more pronounced with a whiter border. Very good work! I would have no interest in owning the before copy, but would be happy to have the after - the true test!

Thanks for the input; it is good to hear it is more desirable now than before. The book is going to get sent to CGC and when it comes back I will be selling it for the owner.

Awesome results! I'm really impressed with your work. It's nice to know that these books are being saved along with the skills to do it.

Do you do something to control gloss uniformity? I'm surprised your low angle reflective photos don't show more of the restoration areas, since I'm sure a leaf-casted area must have a slightly different texture and gloss to it than the original areas. Really impressive!

Awesome results! I'm really impressed with your work. It's nice to know that these books are being saved along with the skills to do it.

Thank you very much, I am glad you like it.

Do you do something to control gloss uniformity?

I do now, I have been working on that very issue for the last several months.

I don't regloss the whole cover so it is tricky to get the color touch to have the same amount of reflection as the rest of the cover.

Some of it is how much gloss is in the paint but I figured out it is also about how textured or smooth the surface is as well.

If you want some more books to practice on I have some older books, I would be glad to have restored. I could even pay a reasonable price, these are only books that are not in great shape so no harm done if they dont come out great and I would be interested in keeping the restored books for my personal collection if they come out decent.

Let me know, it looks like the restoration is quite an improvement.

As promised here is the Action Comics #17 back from CGC. Not the grade I was hoping for but a good learning experience that hopefully will help me predict potential grade outcomes in the future.

scan0005.jpg

Here are some of the pre and post pictures of the book.

AC17BA2.jpg

AC17BA3.jpg

AC17BA1.jpg

very nice...I was guessing a 3.5 so I was close enough (thumbs u

guessing CGC PLOD grading standard is very hard but here is how I think this book get a 4.0

the tear sealed on the FC is slightly visible as if there is a crease there. So if you have a book with a vertical crease length wise on the entire FC, a 4.0 seems more reasonable that harsh.

it is all speculation in the end on my part ;)

Well I've totally missed the boat on how CGC grade PLODs. I thought the whole point was they would grade it at an 'apparent' grade? I've seen 7s that don't look this good. I mean isn't there an Action #1 that looks like it's been through a bears digestive tract sitting in a 2 or even 2.5 slab?

CGC is saying this is only 2 grades above that? A grip needs to be gotten hold of somewhere.

very nice...I was guessing a 3.5 so I was close enough (thumbs u

guessing CGC PLOD grading standard is very hard but here is how I think this book get a 4.0

the tear sealed on the FC is slightly visible as if there is a crease there. So if you have a book with a vertical crease length wise on the entire FC, a 4.0 seems more reasonable that harsh.

it is all speculation in the end on my part ;)

I agree with your assessment and this is probably how CGC views it.

However, I don't think it's fair to count something in the repair work against the grade. They don't grade a Green Label like that = they do not consider the flaw when grading. Example, a detached staple on the cover results in a hole in the book, correct ? They don't take the hole into consideration when assigning the grade.

Well I've totally missed the boat on how CGC grade PLODs. I thought the whole point was they would grade it at an 'apparent' grade? I've seen 7s that don't look this good. I mean isn't there an Action #1 that looks like it's been through a bears digestive tract sitting in a 2 or even 2.5 slab?

CGC is saying this is only 2 grades above that? A grip needs to be gotten hold of somewhere.

The book looks great from an eye appeal standpoint. There's no doubt about that.

However, as someone else stated, the tear seal can be seen from the scan. What does it look like on the interior of the cover where it can't be touched up so well?

They'll factor that into the grade. The tear runs the entire book length. Someone else mentioned it probably got treated like a subscription crease. Perfect books with a sub-crease usually get knocked down to the 5-6 range.

So, assume we start there at 6.0. Then, you've got other defects too. 4.0 is probably the correct technical grade even though the book looks infinitely better than a "standard" 4.0.