• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Complete Restoration Experiments

469 posts in this topic

Kudos for a great restoe job here.

But I think Mikes generous sharing opens up a question:

I have seen Ext GA books with far, far, far, far less paper-loss than this book. And when books so different from each other apparently all get lumped into the same "Ext" category it makes no sense as a "grading service" category. I cant wrap my brain around that. Nuff said!

But anyway congrats on a great restoe job!!

You should call Plitch or Friesen or whoever did the restoration check on that book and ask him what he thought. Do it while the book is still clear in his head. Best way to make sure, right?

Big thanks to everyone for posting your thoughts. The only thing more rewarding than making a ugly book look good again is having others appreciate my efforts. It is what makes the countless hours of work worth it.

Hey Scott, thank you for your input on the re-glossing topic. I feel a lot better now about it and it sounds like I am getting it right with respect to how the book is evaluated in hand. It is really helpful when the books get to go to CGC where they can be graded in hand and consider more than what scans and pictures show.

Called and talked to grader who did the restoration check but unfortunately he does not remember the book which was graded on Feb 13th.

Finally got the scan of All-Star #3. For those who haven’t seen the book before and after here is a link:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5530542&fpart=39

allstar3.jpg

EXTENSIVE [P] , it's official dude, professional.

Whether you are ready to take the plunge and go pro or not right now, it goes without saying that you have come a tremendously long way since we first saw your work. Good job, and keep improving and learning every day. That 6.5 EP is a result to be proud of on a book that was so thrashed to begin with.

Yes, it is looking like I will offically go pro soon. Just been waiting till I feel comfortable with the title.

Whether you are ready to take the plunge and go pro or not right now, it goes without saying that you have come a tremendously long way since we first saw your work. Good job, and keep improving and learning every day. That 6.5 EP is a result to be proud of on a book that was so thrashed to begin with.

Yes, it is looking like I will offically go pro soon. Just been waiting till I feel comfortable with the title.

Thanks Scott, it feels like the pieces of the puzzle are finally mostly in place.

I am very proud of the 6.5 and am looking forward to taking the results to the next level.

Since results like the 6.5 are fairly recent I think it is best to do a few more books before I make it official. I realize it is important to make sure I don't do a dis-service to collectors and other restorers by stating I am a pro before it is appropriate. I am still doing a lot of experimenting, trying new techniques and products. I understand it is never-ending but I just want to give it a few more months, then I may say goodbye to this thread and start fresh with a new one to give my new results a fresh starting point.

It will be tough to say goodbye to this thread, so many memories and almost 50k in views but I am tired of the ASM #55 being the first book in the thread and a few other books I would probably like to put in the closet. (:

Mike has come a long way since his Hulk 104 three years ago. There definitely is room for another talented restoration professional.

Oh man, you had to bring up that Hulk #104. When I think back to those days and that book sometimes I do this :facepalm: and sometimes I just have to :roflmao:

In a way it was good I did that book and posted it as it taught me early on what not to do.

Mike has come a long way since his Hulk 104 three years ago. There definitely is room for another talented restoration professional.

Oh man, you had to bring up that Hulk #104. When I think back to those days and that book sometimes I do this :facepalm: and sometimes I just have to :roflmao:

In a way it was good I did that book and posted it as it taught me early on what not to do.

It was very good that you posted that book, but it was also good that your reaction to a lot of harsh and sometimes hostile criticism was to make a serious effort to get better and do it right. A lot of people would not have reacted that way; they'd have gotten in fights, dug their heels in, and would have kept on doing lousy hack-storation instead of putting in the time to learn professional techniques.

It's been fun to watch you get better as time has gone by. I know that 6.5 isn't a grade that would get label chasers hot under the collar, but most paper conservators would be impressed and even stunned if they saw what you did with that book, as would any of the comic restoration professionals working in the industry today.

There is always more science to learn. For example, cellophane isn't the adhesive in tape - cellophane is the plastic carrier part of tape that the acrylic polymer adhesive mass sticks to. If you spend some real time on the chemistry, you'll be much more confident about whether the solvents you choose are most effective at removing tape stains for a particular kind of adhesive tape (or removing non-tape stains) while not interacting with printing inks. Science aside though, your grasp of the "art" of restoration has really come a long way if you can take a FR 1.0 to a FN+ 6.5.

Finally got the scan of All-Star #3. For those who haven’t seen the book before and after here is a link:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5530542&fpart=39

allstar3.jpg

outstanding!!!! my first good look at this one. (thumbs u :headbang: (thumbs u :headbang: (thumbs u :headbang: (thumbs u :headbang: (thumbs u :headbang: (thumbs u :headbang:

allstar3.jpg

outstanding!!!! my first good look at this one. (thumbs u :headbang: (thumbs u :headbang: (thumbs u :headbang: (thumbs u :headbang: (thumbs u :headbang: (thumbs u :headbang:

I second that emoticon! (thumbs u :headbang:

Outstanding work Michael!