• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone know why the Clink thread got pulled?

295 posts in this topic

I don't get it.

If you get a 3% discount by paying with an alternative method, isn't that a good thing?

BS is never a good thing.

And if they are so concerned about giving discounts to their customers who pay by check or whatever, why not make it 10%?

Instead of the coincidental same amount as the credit card fee? hm

You can call it whatever you want, it's still a 3% discount when paying by check or MO.

As usual you're defending the indefensible, returning the OP's money and asking him to pay via personal payment is not something I'd expect a legitimate business to try

Who are we talking about here? :/

Returning sent payments and asking for an alternative method which costs you more and saves them more is another thing altogether and is bang out of order.

Like I said in the other thread, sending Paypal payments that way is a courtesy, just like it is here on the boards and there is no way anyone can really demand it.

I don't get it.

If you get a 3% discount by paying with an alternative method, isn't that a good thing?

And if they are so concerned about giving discounts to their customers who pay by check or whatever, why not make it 10%?

You can call it whatever you want, it's still a 3% discount when paying by check or MO.

As usual you're defending the indefensible, returning the OP's money and asking him to pay via personal payment is not something I'd expect a legitimate business to try

Oh bugger off, you liquored goon.

There are plenty of services that offer the same sort of discount (gas stations already mentioned).

If you pay 3% less with one payment method it's a discount no matter which way you want to turn the photograph.

As far as refunding payment and asking for another type, as I mentioned in the other thread, it's not something anybody should be able to demand. It's a courtesy that should be up to the buyer.

That's common sense.

CLink are extremely swift playing the 'legal action' card, as they're very customer-minded like that. ;) By the time you've read to the end of this sentence, there'll be a legal letter in Arch's inbox. (thumbs u

Well... then I'd say as long as he complies with the request from the administrators to NOT quote the email directly (and simply paraphrase it), then there shouldn't be a problem (unless other stipulations were given). As long as he isn't slandering the CLink and simply stating his experience, I can't see where he's gone wrong? Haven't we seen this with other big dealers? And some of them realized how bad it looked for their organization and made good on it.

It's fine for board members to offer a 3% discount to avoid PP fees because we're not actually "businesses," but CLink is, and they have an obligation to the CC companies and PP to not pass those fees on to their customers if they're going to offer that payment option. Bottomline, they can request the personal tab but unless they want to violate that guidelines from PP (and then lose their ability to use PP on their site), they need to suck it up and pay the fees just like every other business does.

I think the smart thing at this point is to 1. correct the situation with Jerry, and 2. either cease use of Paypal or stop illegally passing those fees on to the customer against PP policy.

Unless 3% is deducted from the winning bid....it's not a discount. :makepoint:

Is that not how it's done?

I've bought lots of books off of Comiclink and I can honestly say I've never looked at an invoice and crunched numbers. The only time I scrutinize an invoice is if I've sold something.

Seriously.

I don't get it.

Oh bugger off, you liquored goon.

There are plenty of services that offer the same sort of discount (gas stations already mentioned).

If you pay 3% less with one payment method it's a discount no matter which way you want to turn the photograph.

As far as refunding payment and asking for another type, as I mentioned in the other thread, it's not something anybody should be able to demand. It's a courtesy that should be up to the buyer.

That's common sense.

And there are still court cases going on about this issue as well for the very reasons we're discussing here. I know the CT Attorney General went after a number of gas companies here about doing this sort of thing.

Well, all I can say is that 3% can be a lot of money and if I were able to I'd use every loop hole available to save that money.

I don't demand a personal Paypal payment or a check/MO but I certainly appreciate it, and if a buyer pays that way I take full responsibility for the package until it safely arrives into the buyer's hands.

R.

I've bought lots of books off of Comiclink and I can honestly say I've never looked at an invoice and crunched numbers. The only time I scrutinize an invoice is if I've sold something.

Seriously.

Now I'm confused. Does Clink charge an extra 3% if paying by CC....or does Josh take 3% off the price if paying by cheque/MO? ???

Well, all I can say is that 3% can be a lot of money and if I were able to I'd use every loop hole available to save that money.

I don't demand a personal Paypal payment or a check/MO but I certainly appreciate it, and if a buyer pays that way I take full responsibility for the package until it safely arrives into the buyer's hands.

R.

I agree but being based in NY, they fall under the very guidelines Brent just posted so they don't exactly have that luxury as a business organization whereas an individual collector like yourself can.

And for what it's worth, when I've been asked to use the personal tab, I typically just offer to add the fees to my sale price. This way, I maintain the ability to protect myself via chargeback if necessary whereas this is lost with the Personal option (heard of way too many transactions gone wrong this way).

Seriously.

Roy....it's really important that you "crunch" all numbers, recheck all invoices...makes no sense not to. People make simple honest mistakes in addition all the time. You are a bright guy, this statement simply amazes me...

Brent, here's my question though: it says, "cash price discount" where this IS allowed. With Paypal personal, unless a balance transfer is used, then it isn't cash being used but credit and wouldn't this put them out of compliance?

Seriously.

Now I'm confused. Does Clink charge an extra 3% if paying by CC....or does Josh take 3% off the price if paying by cheque/MO? ???

I said it before, they ADD 3% if you use a credit card...or at least they DID, I haven't made a purchase in the past year. I haven't seen anything change. I prefer using my credit card because I get 1% off on all purchases, but I don't use it with them.

Seriously.

Roy....it's really important that you "crunch" all numbers, recheck all invoices...makes no sense not to. People make simple honest mistakes in addition all the time. You are a bright guy, this statement simply amazes me...

Sha, I crunch the rough numbers in my head and look at the bottom line. As long as the figures are "close" I'm ok with it.

I've only bought 15 books over the past 5 years from them (just now checked my account to make sure) and the majority are $200-300 books so it's not that often that I purchase something from them.

I hate accounting.

:sick:

Edit to the above, 17 books if you count the last November auction, which has not been added to my account yet.

I bought a Whiz #10 for $300 or so and another book that is now on the exchange.

Seriously.

Sha, I crunch the rough numbers in my head and look at the bottom line. As long as the figures are "close" I'm ok with it.

I've only bought 15 books over the past 5 years fromthem (just now checked my account to make sure) and the majority are $200-300 books so it's not that often that I purchase something from them.

I hate accounting.

:sick:

Well, I'm married to an accountant, lol...it's a useful skill...Just use a calculator, you'll be surprised, but even more important, no one on the other side will think you took advantage of their mistake when it was in your favor, I'm sure you wouldn't want that either.

Well, I'm married to an accountant, lol...it's a useful skill...Just use a calculator, you'll be surprised, but even more important, no one on the other side will think you took advantage of their mistake when it was in your favor, I'm sure you wouldn't want that either.

No, I wouldn't want that but it has happened to me.

I actually got into a bit of an argument with my bank because I didn't follow up by checking monthly invoices.

After almost 3 years of paying for a mortgage on my second home, I decided to open a bill about two years ago and noticed the interest rate higher than I had remembered signing it.

I was supposed to have a rate that was basically Prime lending rate minus 3/4% and my mortgage was at Prime. I called the bank peeved that my rate was not what I remembered signing for, but because I hadn't called them 3 years earlier I had no recourse. I was more than 1/2 way through my mortgage.

:tonofbricks:

If anyone is really interested I can show you a photograph of a box of unopened invoices from various institutions sitting in a box next to my fireplace.

:roflmao:

edit: oh and I can appreciate the type of person that enjoys accounting. That's not me. That's what my girlfriend is for.

:insane: