• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone know why the Clink thread got pulled?

295 posts in this topic

Unless 3% is deducted from the winning bid....it's not a discount. :makepoint:

Is that not how it's done?

I've bought lots of books off of Comiclink and I can honestly say I've never looked at an invoice and crunched numbers. The only time I scrutinize an invoice is if I've sold something.

Seriously.

Now I'm confused. Does Clink charge an extra 3% if paying by CC....or does Josh take 3% off the price if paying by cheque/MO? ???

Clink looks to have gotten tired of covering the fees. They added a 3% buyer's premium. Coincidentally, the only people who have to pay this are those who charge their purchases. They do this by then giving a 3% discount to any other payment method. So while there is a "discount" technically, in practice it amounts to a 3% surcharge to credit card payments. There was a thread a while back. Do not know how to direct folks to it though :sorry: Just really seems to be verbal gymnastics to comply with the letter of something instead of the spirit in which it was intended (believe that Clink based this change on it being the only way to maintain their cost structure of 10% seller fees).

For example if I pay for my $1000 order (total cost of only books), shipping is then added (lets say $50). If I send a check or money order I only owe $1050. If I charge the items a 3% buyer's premium is then added on and my bill becomes $1081.50 (the total plus shipping multiplied by 1.03) Hope this helps :)

SE

Unless 3% is deducted from the winning bid....it's not a discount. :makepoint:

Is that not how it's done?

I've bought lots of books off of Comiclink and I can honestly say I've never looked at an invoice and crunched numbers. The only time I scrutinize an invoice is if I've sold something.

Seriously.

Now I'm confused. Does Clink charge an extra 3% if paying by CC....or does Josh take 3% off the price if paying by cheque/MO? ???

Clink looks to have gotten tired of covering the fees. They added a 3% buyer's premium. Coincidentally, the only people who have to pay this are those who charge their purchases. They do this by then giving a 3% discount to any other payment method. So while there is a "discount" technically, in practice it amounts to a 3% surcharge to credit card payments. There was a thread a while back. Do not know how to direct folks to it though :sorry: Just really seems to be verbal gymnastics to comply with the letter of something instead of the spirit in which it was intended (believe that Clink based this change on it being the only way to maintain their cost structure of 10% seller fees).

For example if I pay for my $1000 order (total cost of only books), shipping is then added (lets say $50). If I send a check or money order I only owe $1050. If I charge the items a 3% buyer's premium is then added on and my bill becomes $1081.50 (the total plus shipping multiplied by 1.03) Hope this helps :)

SE

Thanks

Buyer's Premium = CC surcharge (thumbs u

I don't get it.

If you get a 3% discount by paying with an alternative method, isn't that a good thing?

BS is never a good thing.

And if they are so concerned about giving discounts to their customers who pay by check or whatever, why not make it 10%?

Instead of the coincidental same amount as the credit card fee? hm

You can call it whatever you want, it's still a 3% discount when paying by check or MO.

I totally agree and have taken advantage of the discount twice.

They are very fair at C-Link IMO.

I needed a bit of extra time to clear up my last payment and I spoke with a manager (or owner) and he was really cool about it... liked the fact that I was up front and honest and not just ignoring the email reminders... although I settled the next week he gave me plenty more time than that.

If anyone is really interested I can show you a photograph of a box of unopened invoices from various institutions sitting in a box next to my fireplace.

Just for shizzles and giggles, cause it's Friday, here is a pic of bills and invoices sitting next to our fireplace and a close up of some assorted unopened invoices.

:insane:

Bills001.jpg

Bills002-1.jpg

I don't live there any more.

(thumbs u

Its simple to find where you live

Edited the pic anyway.

You stay away from me.

:fear:

I just follow the line of postal trucks delivering comics. Easy as pie

Ok..heres what happened..Ill try to make it as brief as I can

I bought some books on C Link which I have done quite a bit actually..I paid for said items about 10 days ago via paypal..Today i received an email stating that I was being refunded the payment and to kindly pay via the "personal" tab on Paypal..

I have in the past paid for numerous if not all my purchases through paypal "regular" payment to CLINK..

I looked at this demand for payment via personal as a way of getting around paying the fees on their end..I understand that BUT I dont like the fact that I have paid regular paypal all the time and now its being demanded via the personal tab.

I assumed it was greed on C Links part as they dont want to eat the 3% ( which BTW I have confirmed thru a local friend who owns a LCS that the ENTIRE 3% is a tax write off.

The thread was just getting interesting as I was asking for opinions on this new CLINK policy..They shut it down as I was using quotes from the actual email I got from Clink,or so Im told that was the reason..

Not 10 minutes after the thread shuts down the phone rings and its CLINK..The man was very pleasent and respectful in every way and was trying to explain CLINKs reason for doing this...First of all I was like "how the h did they know who I was ?and second who would call them to alert them that the thread was even up ?

Anyways the explanation I got was they were takin it on the chin when people pay thru regular paypal and were even considering not acceptiing it anymore as it was cutting into their profits.Well I said lets not sound like your some kind of victim here.You are still making 7% for basically being a middle man and running a website and shipping company. I would do that all day with the kind of sales they get.

We talked for at least 15 minutes and the Gentlemen I spoke to was very polite,courteous as I could want. BUT I still couldnt understand how they charge extra to use a credit card.If I walk into Sears and buy a set of tires.The price is the same cash OR credit.Even AFTER the discussion I was like (shrug)

I can see where they are coming from I guess..Still against paypal policy to demand personal vs. regular ..I also asked "what if I buy a book and pay you the personal tab and I get the wrong book by mistake" I call you and say that it happened and they say No way its not the wrong book.I know this would be an extreme circumstance BUT it could happen..Now I have ZERO protection on my purchase.

I did not start the original thread to bash Comiclink .Not really.. I was just asking for opinions on this new policy as I am not in favor of it..

I guess if I buy from them Ill pay with a check so I am NOT paying 3% extra on top of my purchase price..

Far as Im concerned its still the best place to get top dollar for your books when you have hi end stuff..I would not say I wont buy from their site anymore as I probably will.I will certainly sell on there without a doubt but have learned from all this to pay with a check.No extra % tacked on .Granted it takes loger to get your stuff but why should I pay their C card fees that they get when I use a card..Checks only from now on for me .I know some of you have no problem paying the 3%.More power to ya.

I just think the refund I got back from them set me off today .. Seemed like a way to pocket more money I guess (shrug)

Sorry all lol I tried to make it brief

I don't get it.

If you get a 3% discount by paying with an alternative method, isn't that a good thing?

BS is never a good thing.

And if they are so concerned about giving discounts to their customers who pay by check or whatever, why not make it 10%?

Instead of the coincidental same amount as the credit card fee? hm

You can call it whatever you want, it's still a 3% discount when paying by check or MO.

I totally agree and have taken advantage of the discount twice.

They are very fair at C-Link IMO.

I needed a bit of extra time to clear up my last payment and I spoke with a manager (or owner) and he was really cool about it... liked the fact that I was up front and honest and not just ignoring the email reminders... although I settled the next week he gave me plenty more time than that.

I know this point has been made BUT Ill make it for the last time..IF you go into Sears and you buy something and it says its "discounted" that means the price you pay is "LOWER" then the asking price.if you buy book from CLINK and its 100 dollars you arent getting a discount.. your either paying 100 dollars which is full price or 103 dollars which is full price + 3%. So you aint gettin no discount buddy..A "discount" would be you pay 97 dollars 3% LESS then the price..

Some of us pay full price ,some of us pay 3% over full price but none of us get a discount

Easy enough to understand :makepoint:

So....Josh is trying to get all his customers to use the personal tab when paying via Paypal?

hm

Looks that way. Not sure it'll work out all that well for clink - a buyer can pay for a personal paypal payment with a credit card and charge the fees to the recipient. Isn't this a way of bypassing the clink credit card surcharge?

So....Josh is trying to get all his customers to use the personal tab when paying via Paypal?

hm

Sounds like it. I know I got the same e-mail and it pissed me off as well. Mostly because they acted as though I had done something wrong. I went through the instructions about paying via PayPal and NOWHERE did it say to use the Personal option, so I was annoyed. Shrugged my shoulders cut a check and stuck it in the mail.

hm

Sounds like it. I know I got the same e-mail and it pissed me off as well. Mostly because they acted as though I had done something wrong. I went through the instructions about paying via PayPal and NOWHERE did it say to use the Personal option, so I was annoyed. Shrugged my shoulders cut a check and stuck it in the mail.

Not sure what Josh hopes to gain by this. I imagine it would only be a matter of time before Paypal red flags the CL account due to the frequent use of the 'personal' tab.

Not 10 minutes after the thread shuts down the phone rings and its CLINK..The man was very pleasent and respectful in every way and was trying to explain CLINKs reason for doing this...First of all I was like "how the h did they know who I was ?and second who would call them to alert them that the thread was even up ?

It's like in the OMAC comic books. On these forums you think you're as anonymous as Buddy Blank. The next moment, Big Brother Eye is tracking you. :cool:

hm

Not sure what Josh hopes to gain by this. I imagine it would only be a matter of time before Paypal red flags the CL account due to the frequent use of the 'personal' tab.

If Clink receives a lot of payments through Paypal then Paypal probably won't do anything to upset the apple cart.

hm

If Clink receives a lot of payments through Paypal then Paypal probably won't do anything to upset the apple cart.

On the contrary Gaz, there's already been at least one count of Paypal suspending someone's account for using the Personal tab too much. They would lose way too much money for a company like CLink to be doing it.

Let's get this straight once and for all...CLink are not offering a 'discount'. :makepoint:

They are simply charging you what you should be charged if you opt to pay via cheque (check) or money order. However, if you wish to use a credit card, they will apply a surcharge and call it a 'buyer's premium'. This, I understand, is illegal in the state that they operate in.

In addition to this, they are now attempting to avoid paying Paypal fees. Whilst not illegal, this is in contravention of Paypal's T&Cs and also strips from the buyer all manner of protection.

These actions are being taken because to do otherwise would 'eat into profits'. However, not offering these services would also 'eat into profits', so they...well, they want to have their cake and also eat it.

Ethically-run businesses have expenses and any sensible business will attempt to minimise those expenses through effective management. However, ethically-run businesses would surely not operate outside of the law and outside of the T&Cs of their suppliers/trading partners? (shrug)