• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone know why the Clink thread got pulled?

295 posts in this topic

I don't disagree with you, Nick, and none of my posts have attempted to defend the practice. For my own comic selling, I state clearly upfront that while I have several acceptable methods of payment, credit cards and PayPal/business are not.

Now, why would anybody pay the Link by a method that costs them an additional 3%, and not use a check or money order?

Because some of us can't....

I don't disagree with you, Nick, and none of my posts have attempted to defend the practice. For my own comic selling, I state clearly upfront that while I have several acceptable methods of payment, credit cards and PayPal/business are not.

Now, why would anybody pay the Link by a method that costs them an additional 3%, and not use a check or money order?

Why should anyone have the option taken away from, or made more expensive, because that is their choice in how they want to pay.

Because it's the seller of goods and services that decides on the methods of payment that are acceptable to them. (shrug)

I won't accept credit cards or PayPal/business when I sell comics on the boards. That's my choice, and not the choice of prospective buyers. The choice that prospective buyers have (and they have this with the Link as well) is the decision of whether to do business with a seller or not.

Again, I am unqualified to address the legality of C-Link's policy.

My ONLY problem with the 3% buyers premium when paying with CC is that I did not know about it until I actually checked out after I had ALREADY won my auctions. I went back and couldn't find the 3% buyers premium in their terms of service. Maybe I just don't know where to look. doh! If someone could direct me to it I would appreciate. That said, I don't have a problem if CL wants to charge a buyers premium to CC transactions. I just want to know about it before I bid. It is something that should be WELL stated in terms of service so the buyer knows what he/she is getting into. :cool:

I think it's spot on the subject, Arex, to offer an opinion that when a company's profit margin on items it sells is 10%, eating a 3% fee makes a major difference. Especially when it's in response to someone suggesting the Link just suck it up and take the fee hit.

I'm not sufficiently versed to offer any opinion on the legality of the Link's stance.

I disagree, obviously. If a company has to break the law to stay in business then it is time to get out of business.

The legality isnt in debate either. There is a nice quote on an earlier page that states what the Gubment says about charging fees for credit card use.

Again, CLink isnt giving you a discount. They are however charging you more for using a credit card and charging you what you agreed to pay if you do not. That isnt a discount

That's fine Arex, but none of your post is directed at the issue I addressed, which was to respond to Rich Henn with the opinion that eating the fee is onerous for sales with a 10% profit margin.

I did address it Bob. In fact, i said it here:

Not germane to the argument Bob. It is your choice to not accept those payment types. However, to add a 3% fee then "discount" it is shady at best and appears to be illegal.

And again, it isnt about a profit margin. It is about charging illegal fees to people who choose to pay with a credit card.

You choose not to accept them and the fee associated with the payment. such is your choice. CLink chooses to accept credit cards but charges a fee on said usage. That is illegal. I know you can see the difference between them and they have nothing to do with profit margin on a 10% commission

Clink refunded a payment via paypal for the payment to be resent as a Personal Payment so fees could be avoided.

Sorry, just started reading this thread as I thought it was just another Clink bash.

They did this to me two months ago and when I called and spoke with Tomas, he said I didn't follow the instructions in their invoice about using PayPal Personal Payment.

I went back and read the invoice, and it didn't state anything like that. Plus, I was a little annoyed they are running a business but trying to work around the system.

I won't accept credit cards or PayPal/business when I sell comics on the boards. That's my choice, and not the choice of prospective buyers.

I understand that completely...it's to offset the overhead and large commission CGC charges you to sell here.

I won't accept credit cards or PayPal/business when I sell comics on the boards. That's my choice, and not the choice of prospective buyers.

I understand that completely...it's to offset the overhead and large commission CGC charges you to sell here.

It's to offer comics for sale on the boards at what I perceive to be the lowest prices possible. :baiting:

they just cut to the chase and in essence are already applying the 3% discount, and if you don't pay via "cash", then you get it at the full, non discounted price...

This isn't true. There's a mathematical difference between a "3% discount already applied" and a 3% surcharge.

On a book that sells for $1000, an "already applied" 3% discount means the un-discounted price is $1030.93 (1030.93 x .97 = 1000.00). A 3% surcharge means the final price is $1030.00 (1000.00 * 1.03 = 1030.00).

So which are they charging? If they're just adding 3% to the final price, it's a 3% surcharge.

Can you fine detectives answer this please?

they just cut to the chase and in essence are already applying the 3% discount, and if you don't pay via "cash", then you get it at the full, non discounted price...

This isn't true. There's a mathematical difference between a "3% discount already applied" and a 3% surcharge.

On a book that sells for $1000, an "already applied" 3% discount means the un-discounted price is $1030.93 (1030.93 x .97 = 1000.00). A 3% surcharge means the final price is $1030.00 (1000.00 * 1.03 = 1030.00).

So which are they charging? If they're just adding 3% to the final price, it's a 3% surcharge.

Can you fine detectives answer this please?

I agree with Dev's math. It's either a 3.03% discount or a 3% surcharge. Not sure what that answers, though.

It's to offer comics for sale on the boards at what I perceive to be the lowest prices possible. :baiting:

I'm not trying to pick a fight with you after our misunderstanding the other day.

But if you are selling through a sales venue that involves no buyer's premium or other fees other than the payment device, shouldn't both parties benefit on here?

I would think this drives more business and loyalty to forum sales.

I'm not trying to pick a fight with you after our misunderstanding the other day.

But if you are selling through a sales venue that involves no buyer's premium or other fees other than the payment device, shouldn't both parties benefit on here?

The books I offer for sale on the boards are priced at no more than 90% of what I believe I can get for them on a consignment site. Sometimes much less than 90%. My experience with offering books on the boards and subsequently on consignment bears this out, and it hasn't been uncommon to sell comics on the Link for 120% of the price first asked for on the boards. I like giving the boards first crack, and will continue to do so for all but the most valuable books or runs in my collection.

The already take 10% of your sale...shouldn't that more then make up for the surcharge that paypal slaps them with?

Well, no it doesn't. (shrug)

When your profit margin is all of 10%, a 3% hit obviously makes a huge difference. Certainly the Link isn't the only seller that takes this position, since several of us who sell comics on the boards will not take either credit cards or PayPal/business as acceptable methods of payment.

Either way it will be the buyer or the seller taking the hit not the company. I like CLink's set up better with the CC. I like that it's the buyers choice to pay CC or cash. With C.Connect, you could be hit with a 13% charge and have no say in the matter because they charge the SELLER not the buyer when a buyer decides to use a CC or not.

The books I offer for sale on the boards are priced at no more than 90% of what I believe I can get for them on a consignment site.

So this would go back to the other discussion of what is used to price a book to arrive at the 90%?

Okay, then I don't want to go there as it's a personal philosophy situation that gets us nowhere.

Thanks for sharing the approach.

My ONLY problem with the 3% buyers premium when paying with CC is that I did not know about it until I actually checked out after I had ALREADY won my auctions. I went back and couldn't find the 3% buyers premium in their terms of service. Maybe I just don't know where to look. doh! If someone could direct me to it I would appreciate. That said, I don't have a problem if CL wants to charge a buyers premium to CC transactions. I just want to know about it before I bid. It is something that should be WELL stated in terms of service so the buyer knows what he/she is getting into. :cool:

I can't find the 3% surcharge either. Does this only show up during checkout?

I can't find the 3% surcharge either. Does this only show up during checkout?

No, it does not. Neither does the terms about paying via PayPal Personal Payment or they will refund your money.

But CL doesn't charge a surcharge, they give you a discount if you don't use a credit card.

Really? So if the ending bid is $2,000, then you would pay LESS than $2K if you paid by a non-CC method?

If so, that's cool, but this "prices are already cash-discounted" is a joke that has been hammered down, at least up here. Computer companies used to try that all the time, but a few got whacked by the Ontario and Quebec governments, and I can't believe litigation-happy US customers haven't done the same.