• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone know why the Clink thread got pulled?

295 posts in this topic

About the sellers here: If the three percent matters that much to the seller, then they would probably be better off upping the price a bit, accepting all forms of payment, and increasing the size of their buying pool. At that point the seller could offer the 3% discount to buyers that can pay fee free during negotiations, which would probably actually help build customer relationships and increase future sales.

Some people just always want to have the upperhand. They want to be in control. They convince themselves that they are doing you a favor by offering their stuff for sale here. Never realizing that the free FS forum and the devoted comic fans are doing them the favor.

they just cut to the chase and in essence are already applying the 3% discount, and if you don't pay via "cash", then you get it at the full, non discounted price...

This isn't true. There's a mathematical difference between a "3% discount already applied" and a 3% surcharge.

On a book that sells for $1000, an "already applied" 3% discount means the un-discounted price is $1030.93 (1030.93 x .97 = 1000.00). A 3% surcharge means the final price is $1030.00 (1000.00 * 1.03 = 1030.00).

So which are they charging? If they're just adding 3% to the final price, it's a 3% surcharge.

Can you fine detectives answer this please?

I agree with Dev's math. It's either a 3.03% discount or a 3% surcharge. Not sure what that answers, though.

It means that if the final price on a $1000 book when paying by CC is $1030.93, they can claim that the buyer isn't receiving the 3% "discount". If the final price is $1030.00, that claim is false. They're just adding 3% to the final price as a surcharge.

If they're trying to play semantic games with the letter of the law (discount vs. surcharge) they need to at least get the charges right.

Some people just always want to have the upperhand. They want to be in control. They convince themselves that they are doing you a favor by offering their stuff for sale here. Never realizing that the free FS forum and the devoted comic fans are doing them the favor.

Yeah, but I still buy your books, Mike. :o

:jokealert:

About the sellers here: If the three percent matters that much to the seller, then they would probably be better off upping the price a bit, accepting all forms of payment, and increasing the size of their buying pool. At that point the seller could offer the 3% discount to buyers that can pay fee free during negotiations, which would probably actually help build customer relationships and increase future sales.

To your first point: some sellers prefer to sell comics with fixed prices and not be forced to enter into negotiation over every potential sale. Many sellers on the boards are here as a hobby, and have jobs, families, homes, and other interests and responsibilities that occupy alot of their time.

To your second point: I think everyone who sells comics on the Boards recognizes that the fee-free environment and ability to reach large numbers of passionate collectors are tremendous characteristics. It's a big reason why the Boards are a special place, and have become an ever increasing presence as a venue to buy and sell over the past few years.

I won't accept credit cards or PayPal/business when I sell comics on the boards. That's my choice, and not the choice of prospective buyers.

I understand that completely...it's to offset the overhead and large commission CGC charges you to sell here.

It's to offer comics for sale on the boards at what I perceive to be the lowest prices possible. :baiting:

I'm not trying to pick a fight with you after our misunderstanding the other day.

But if you are selling through a sales venue that involves no buyer's premium or other fees other than the payment device, shouldn't both parties benefit on here?

I would think this drives more business and loyalty to forum sales.

The books I offer for sale on the boards are priced at no more than 90% of what I believe I can get for them on a consignment site. Sometimes much less than 90%. My experience with offering books on the boards and subsequently on consignment bears this out, and it hasn't been uncommon to sell comics on the Link for 120% of the price first asked for on the boards. I like giving the boards first crack, and will continue to do so for all but the most valuable books or runs in my collection.

As evident by your current FF sales thread. :roflmao:

Think your going to get 120% of those prices on Clink if they don't sell here? They are nice books, and you should feel free to ask what you like, but spare us the sanctimonious BS.

I struggled with posting that since I equate it thread crapping, but IMO, you asked for it. Good luck with the sales, I actually hope I'm proven wrong. I also hope you get 120% on Clink for the books that don't sell here, that would mean the market is improving.

The books I offer for sale on the boards are priced at no more than 90% of what I believe I can get for them on a consignment site. Sometimes much less than 90%. My experience with offering books on the boards and subsequently on consignment bears this out, and it hasn't been uncommon to sell comics on the Link for 120% of the price first asked for on the boards. I like giving the boards first crack, and will continue to do so for all but the most valuable books or runs in my collection.

As evident by your current FF sales thread. :roflmao:

Think your going to get 120% of those prices on Clink if they don't sell here? They are nice books, and you should feel free to ask what you like, but spare us the sanctimonious BS.

Yes, over the course of 2010 I expect to sell or trade every one of these books. Some on the Link at prices higher than the ask prices in my current board thread. That's been my experience so far, and was the experience with my most recent previous sale of slabs. Two of the comics I offered here were sold within 48 hours of listing on a consignment site for >115% of their board sale price. This isn't unexpected, since the boards don't reach as large a collector base as some other venues, and some comics do much better when offered elsewhere.

Not sure what's sanctimonious about my post or where the BS is, I'm just relating my experience selling books on the boards, through consignment sites, and direct to dealers. It's also been my experience that over the past year that I've sold on the boards as many comics as I feel like handling, so my pricing must not always be out of line. Just ask my many customers. I'm sure I've offered books from time to time at too high a price as well. Doesn't everyone? I've also sold books at too low a price (relative to fair market value), as evidenced by their purchase by dealers and immediate re-offering at much higher prices. Guess I should have attended that Pricing College.

Finally, in terms of the pricing in my current sales thread: I'm offering a high grade slabbed copy of FF22 at a price lower than every sale recorded by GPA since 2005. It is highly likely that the book could fetch a higher price on another venue. Is it priced too high for the boards? Maybe it is and maybe it isn't, but it is certainly a surprising choice to be the subject of a sales thread-crapping.

I don't get it.

If you get a 3% discount by paying with an alternative method, isn't that a good thing?

BS is never a good thing.

And if they are so concerned about giving discounts to their customers who pay by check or whatever, why not make it 10%?

Instead of the coincidental same amount as the credit card fee? hm

You can call it whatever you want, it's still a 3% discount when paying by check or MO.

You can call it whatever you want too. It's still BS. It's not a 3% discount.

I buy a $300 book for the price advertised. Pay $14 to ship one book and get 3% added for credit card payment. There is no discount involved, i bought and paid for a $300 book.

No discount involved but, still saves you 3% when paying by check or money order. Of course, I get charged an aditional 8.35%? sales tax.

Is that your rate where you live, Mike? Because they try to charge me the NYC rate each time (Heritage does too)...and it's the rate where you live, where the book is to be delivered, not the rate where they mail it from that you should be charged. My sales tax is only 7.67 %...a bargain for NY. I have to call and explain every time. It's not a huge amount, but it adds up and since it's a tax, I'd rather pay the correct amount, not a bonus.

I don't see how this charge, could possibly be construed as a "discount" it's not. It's probably better for Comiclink to do it this way for their own bookeeping purposes, but I've always seen it as an additional charge. Still cheaper than Heritage's charges....but it's a charge

:shrug:.

I gave the example of the tax because I'm sure it's easier for them to just charge one rate and not look up every little town in NY..just as it's probably easier for them to add the premium if you use a credit card...bookeeping can be complicated...but if you have a business, it's part of the job.

I'm not sure Sharon. Here's the figures from a purchase from them.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Order Subtotal: $40

Shipping & Handling: $14

Sales Tax: $3.55

Buyer Fee (3%): $1.73

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GRAND TOTAL: $59.28

I don't get it.

If you get a 3% discount by paying with an alternative method, isn't that a good thing?

And if they are so concerned about giving discounts to their customers who pay by check or whatever, why not make it 10%?

You can call it whatever you want, it's still a 3% discount when paying by check or MO.

I buy a $300 book for the price advertised. Pay $14 to ship one book and get 3% added for credit card payment. There is no discount involved, i bought and paid for a $300 book.

No discount involved but, still saves you 3% when paying by check or money order. Of course, I get charged an aditional 8.35%? sales tax.

Is that your rate where you live, Mike? Because they try to charge me the NYC rate each time (Heritage does too)...and it's the rate where you live, where the book is to be delivered, not the rate where they mail it from that you should be charged. My sales tax is only 7.67 %...a bargain for NY. I have to call and explain every time. It's not a huge amount, but it adds up and since it's a tax, I'd rather pay the correct amount, not a bonus.

I don't see how this charge, could possibly be construed as a "discount" it's not. It's probably better for Comiclink to do it this way for their own bookeeping purposes, but I've always seen it as an additional charge. Still cheaper than Heritage's charges....but it's a charge

I gave the example of the tax because I'm sure it's easier for them to just charge one rate and not look up every little town in NY..just as it's probably easier for them to add the premium if you use a credit card...bookeeping can be complicated...but if you have a business, it's part of the job.

Doesn't 3% x $40 = $1.20?

ETA: and $3.55 is 8.875% of $40.

I don't get it.

If this is what they are doing, this is blatantly illegal. They've added the 3% to the order, the shipping AND handling, AND the sales tax. The illegality is at every level. If they were giving you a "discount" for NOT using a credit card, your bill should be $55.83 (3% off of $54, plus the 6.6% sales tax).

Call them up and ask what the price is if you pay with a check.

customer service +2 (thumbs u

Someone that works for PayPal should alert PayPal Merchant Services a company is using Personal Payment for business transactions.

:baiting:

Someone that works for PayPal should alert PayPal Merchant Services a company is using Personal Payment for business transactions.

I expect them to crack down on that soon enough. There have got to be red flags, even at the level many of us are using it.

I expect them to crack down on that soon enough. There have got to be red flags, even at the level many of us are using it.

They have.

One of our Canadian forumites posted recently he was warned by PayPal to knock it off or they would freeze his account.

Especially since he was selling books like UXM 94 CGC 9.2 and Hulk 181 CGC 9.0, the dollar amounts must have sent an immediate trigger something didn't seem right.

If this is what they are doing, this is blatantly illegal. They've added the 3% to the order, the shipping AND handling, AND the sales tax. The illegality is at every level. If they were giving you a "discount" for NOT using a credit card, your bill should be $55.83 (3% off of $54, plus the 6.6% sales tax).

Call them up and ask what the price is if you pay with a check.

yeah, this is the sort of thing that needs to be forwarded en masse to the NY AG's office.

i understand their rationale; they apply the entire charge to their CC machine/account, which charges them 3% of the order. at least, that seems to be what they are thinking. it is, however, not the case. the machines all have a separate input for taxes, and i am certain that Visa/Amex/MC are not applying the 3% charge for handling the transaction to the freaking sales tax.

i always pay for my CL purchases by check. to do otherwise is throwing money away in my opinion