• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The big one that got away in 2009

55 posts in this topic

I've been looking for an Action Comics #49 for years. I neglected to check Joe V's boxed comics at the SD Comic-Con, leaving a copy there for Alton to find in Chicago. Last month, the 2nd highest graded copy showed up in the Heritage auction, but the bidding went higher than expected, and I missed out on that copy, too. doh!

I got severely Roy'd over a GA Cap #1 this summer. I made nice with the dealer and might bid on it in the upcoming Heritage auction in Feb.

The 9.4 Comedy Comics 9 that went well below guide and below the previous sale in November's Heritage. Concentrating mainly on OA, I only buy a few comics a year these days, but I'm still shaking my head over getting outbid on that one.

Hmmm....let me see....its not a GA book, but the "big one" that got away was the FF # 112 CGC 9.8, back when it was a CGC 9.4. I held it in my hands and could've bought it for $1,100...I just didn't think it had a great shot at 9.6. Low and behold, it sells to a dealer, who resells it to another dealer, press, slab, wham, bam, thank you Jive, and its a $25k book.

Every other loss this year pales in comparison to that one. :insane:

Filters recent Marvel comics#1 restored copy.

My last bid was in the 7000.00 range and it went for just over 11000.00

I should have monitored the auction closer and put in a higher bid. That book will never sell that cheap again I am guessing.

My big one for 2009 got away...TWICE! doh!

At Philly WizWorld, I was talking with Al Stolz (Basement Comics) who offered me a VG copy of Mister Mistery #12 and (wanting a mid-grade) I hesitated for while another collector scoops it up.

Last week, a CGC 5.0 copy sells at Heritage last week-- I was high bid at 2x GPA (2005)-- but was sniped at the very end! :P

I should have went after that restored Action 13 that sold at a Clink auction this year for around $4,500. I couldn't really afford it at the time, but I suppose I could have sold some books to help pay for it. Who knows when the next one will come along. :cry:

I've been looking for an Action Comics #49 for years. I neglected to check Joe V's boxed comics at the SD Comic-Con, leaving a copy there for Alton to find in Chicago. Last month, the 2nd highest graded copy showed up in the Heritage auction, but the bidding went higher than expected, and I missed out on that copy, too. doh!

and with Joe V's great prices, I paid next to nothing for it. :banana:

thanks again Jeff! :grin:

Scan10001-2.jpg

I believe that was the same auction that I missed out on the Action #21 CGC 6.0 for the same reasons that happened with you.

I missed out on a Fight 31 sold on these boards because I was off having fun one day away from the computer. That'll teach me to try having a life!

You wouldn't have been happy with that copy anyway. (thumbs u

Now I don't feel so bad.

2009 was not a big comic-buying year for me due to personal turmoil. That's over now, as evidenced by my soon-to-be purchased Daredevil 1 in CGC 8.0 and that Planet Comics I posted recently.

I missed out on a Fight 31 sold on these boards because I was off having fun one day away from the computer. That'll teach me to try having a life!

You wouldn't have been happy with that copy anyway. (thumbs u

Now I don't feel so bad.

You shouldn't. Even I, Mr. LowGrade Collector passed on it!

You buying SA books now? :screwy: