• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kick *spoon* - Hit Girl Mature Trailer

95 posts in this topic

How is this any different from the Omen movies? Wasn't Damien a kid in those movies (and a murderer)?

There are any number of movies with children who kill.

I think the purposes of the violence in these films are worlds apart.

Damien is a sympathetic character as he realizes who he is and fatalistically embraces his mission. The destruction that follows Damien is horrifying and to be viewed as such. There are grave consequences to the people who associate with Damien and the sense of loss is clearly displayed. The people he kills are often fully realized, sympathetic human characters, not just nameless, faceless mannequins. The film also suggests something about the dangers of power and evil.

From what I can see of the Hit-Girl trailer the destruction left behind by the girl is simply for fun and utterly non-consequential. It appears to present no real significance to the loss of human life. The violence is simply glamorized and celebrated. I've never been much of a fan of these types of movies and have tended to ignore them, but when they are so obviously marketed for the ten and over crowd, (despite whatever rating this movie will receive--R or NC-17), Hollywood has reached a new low.

I'm trying to answer your question by contrasting the violence presented in the trailer and the Omen movies. Are my observations wrong?

I've not read the comic the film is based on. From what you've said, I'm sure the comic is a good read, but the comic is not marketed to kids. This movie obviously is.

From what you've said, I'm sure the comic is a good read, but the comic is not marketed to kids. This movie obviously is.

So is the problem the marketing campaign or the content of the film?

Is the content more offensive as a movie than a comic only b/c they have to have a real girl play the part?

From what you've said, I'm sure the comic is a good read, but the comic is not marketed to kids. This movie obviously is.

So is the problem the marketing campaign or the content of the film?

Is the content more offensive as a movie than a comic only b/c they have to have a real girl play the part?

The marketing of this film is certainly problematic.

I can't comment on the film itself other than what I see in the trailers, both of which are problematic. I've never had much of a stomach for child endangerment or nihilistic celebrations of violence, which are displayed in the two trailers.

Maybe the film itself moves in a different direction.

all i'm saying is, i never understand why people get so riled up about movies.

take it for what it is and leave it at that.

I think one of the reasons people get riled up about movies is because they are so widely available to the general public. That means even when something is distasteful it can be readily available to anyone.

Let's get real. How hard was it to sign in as an 18 year old and watch that preview?

Movies most often target audiences where the core entertainment value will reflect what is in the movie and so a movie will represent the core entertainment values of that group of people.

If there are millions of people who think this is a terrific trailer I find it kind of sad.

It's not the movie itself that gets people riled up, it's what the movie represents and how widely accepted that movie is.

It's not the movie itself that gets people riled up, it's what the movie represents and how widely accepted that movie is.

That was pretty well said, I think...

A symbol of changing values... those whose values become less and less represented by popular culture probably *should* feel sad, I would guess.

That makes perfect sense... but I still can't wait to sneak a bottle of wine into the theater and watch this. ;)

fic⋅tion

  /ˈfɪkʃən/

–noun

1. the class of literature comprising works of imaginative narration, esp. in prose form.

2. works of this class, as novels or short stories: detective fiction.

3. something feigned, invented, or imagined; a made-up story: We've all heard the fiction of her being in delicate health.

4. the act of feigning, inventing, or imagining.

5. an imaginary thing or event, postulated for the purposes of argument or explanation.

sep⋅a⋅ra⋅tion

–noun

1. an act or instance of separating or the state of being separated.

2. a place, line, or point of parting.

3. a gap, hole, rent, or the like.

4. something that separates or divides.

re⋅al⋅i⋅ty

  /riˈælɪti/

1. the state or quality of being real.

2. resemblance to what is real.

3. a real thing or fact.

4. real things, facts, or events taken as a whole; state of affairs: the reality of the business world; vacationing to escape reality.

5. Philosophy.

a. something that exists independently of ideas concerning it.

b. something that exists independently of all other things and from which all other things derive.

6. something that is real.

7. something that constitutes a real or actual thing, as distinguished from something that is merely apparent.

I loved "Battle Royale" and liked "Lone Wolf & Cub" so violent kids aren't a big hangup

You have great taste! :headbang:

+1

Thanks guys.

And just for the record, I'm not riled up about KickAss the Movie, it's just that the trailers I've seen so far haven't shown me anything to get excited about either. Maybe I'll give the comics a chance someday, but if I read reviews that say the movie is faithful to the comics, I probably won't.

fic⋅tion

sep⋅a⋅ra⋅tion

re⋅al⋅i⋅ty

My man, you are on a comic book chat forum lecturing people about separating fiction from reality?

:roflmao:

fic⋅tion

sep⋅a⋅ra⋅tion

re⋅al⋅i⋅ty

My man, you are on a comic book chat forum lecturing people about separating fiction from reality?

:roflmao:

What?! I am positive this girl has some real superhero powers?

IT"S REAL DAMMIT!

supergirl_sexy_costume2.jpg

fic⋅tion

  /ˈfɪkʃən/

–noun

1. the class of literature comprising works of imaginative narration, esp. in prose form.

2. works of this class, as novels or short stories: detective fiction.

3. something feigned, invented, or imagined; a made-up story: We've all heard the fiction of her being in delicate health.

4. the act of feigning, inventing, or imagining.

5. an imaginary thing or event, postulated for the purposes of argument or explanation.

sep⋅a⋅ra⋅tion

–noun

1. an act or instance of separating or the state of being separated.

2. a place, line, or point of parting.

3. a gap, hole, rent, or the like.

4. something that separates or divides.

re⋅al⋅i⋅ty

  /riˈælɪti/

1. the state or quality of being real.

2. resemblance to what is real.

3. a real thing or fact.

4. real things, facts, or events taken as a whole; state of affairs: the reality of the business world; vacationing to escape reality.

5. Philosophy.

a. something that exists independently of ideas concerning it.

b. something that exists independently of all other things and from which all other things derive.

6. something that is real.

7. something that constitutes a real or actual thing, as distinguished from something that is merely apparent.

trash

/ˈtrash/

–noun

2. inferior or worthless writing or artistic matter; especially : such matter intended purely for sensational entertainment...

I saw a double feature when I was 12 years old. Both films were rated R. The first 'Blood Beach' while not for kids, was a bit campy. The second, 'Heavy Metal' was definitely not for children. hm I certainly remember being glued to the screen. lol

I say this seeing all the 'society-is-going-to-hell-in-a-hand-basket' posts. It seems society has been going down that path for the last, what, 33 years? hm Do I advocate taking a young child or even a teenager to a R rated movie? No. Am I some kind of serial killer because I saw a naked female having sex and gratuitous violence when I was 12? No.

Maybe the town I grew up in had lax standards in regard to R rated movies. It was very small and we only had one (rather old) theater, but one would think that a smaller size would equate to a more concerned community.

I think most theaters today take a pretty hard stance in regard to R rated movies and letting under 17 customers inside, but I could be wrong. I'm sure it varies based upon communities.