• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Where will this comicbook hobby be in 10 years?

42 posts in this topic

I see all these posts about the past decade and what happened 10 years ago, so what about the future? whats going to happen to this beloved hobby 10 years from now collecting and reading wise? Where will it be at? I see it going into niche markets and superheroes losing thier appeal as thier core audience starts to get older.Also digital comics will be in play bigtime by then.I see Disney will play a big factor in all this.They are either going to make or break Marvel.

any thoughts?

I see all these posts about the past decade and what happened 10 years ago, so what about the future? whats going to happen to this beloved hobby 10 years from now collecting and reading wise? Where will it be at? I see it going into niche markets and superheroes losing thier appeal as thier core audience starts to get older.Also digital comics will be in play bigtime by then.I see Disney will play a big factor in all this.They are either going to make or break Marvel.

any thoughts?

Disney rolling with Marvel spells success. $$$

The secrets of time travel will be revealed in the Summer of 2017, when 3 young entrepeneurs travel back from the year 2091 to purchase massive quantities of Girls Gone Wild DVDs, and absentmindedly leave their time travel device in the Coconut Lounge of a strip joint in Vegas.

The boys at Cal Tech reverse engineer the device, and before you know it, CGC is setting up at conventions in 1978, and witnessing signature series with Siegel, Shuster, Schomburg, Bob Kane, and more.

People will always collect comics in my humble opinion - because it's not just the comic books driving us to keep buying...it is the draw of mythology...or of heroes...or living vicariously through others heroic efforts. This appeal is very strong and built into all of us at birth. The idea of death and resurrection...sometimes not literal death....but a change in who you are - like a caterpillar becoming a butterfly. (or being bitten by a radioactive spider) Leaving and coming forth in a richer or more mature higher condition. Joseph Cambell wrote a lot about it... The Power of Myth - or "Hero of a Thousand Faces" of the hero. This is built into our psyche - and is very strong. These are now cultural icons which will always have appeal - just like Hercules and Greek myths still hold today. It is what inspired George Lucas to write Star Wars..

Since these heroes will ALWAYS be a part of our culture..the first appearance of the same or issues significant to their development will always be in demand.

The hero, if it is created well - inspires. In mythology, it is what is worth writing about. The main character..the hero, "someone who has probably given his life to something bigger than himself" The deed is the "physical deed - a hero that has performed a war act or a hero act such as saving a life" or " a spiritual hero".... aww just watch the videos! Just know your investments are freakin safe.....there will always be Superman!

The death of the monthly pamphlet is coming. I think it will be good for the industry since creators will have to work with a larger story in mind instead of simply carrying along the action month to month.

I see it going into niche markets and superheroes losing thier appeal as thier core audience starts to get older.Also digital comics will be in play bigtime by then.I see Disney will play a big factor in all this.They are either going to make or break Marvel.

any thoughts?

I think fans who view and enjoy comic books as an artistic storytelling medium will be in for a real treat during the next decade. :popcorn:

Already digital scans allow readers massive exposure to comics from all eras. Whenever a portable color tablet viewer becomes common new generations can enjoy just about everything that's come before all over again. (will something come out during 2010 CES ? :wishluck: )

Also, the tech behind Avatar shows that just about anything imagined could make on screen. Look at stylish attempts like Sin City, Hellboy, or V and there's hope some quality "comic universe" epics may finally show up in theaters. (a photo-realistic CG Justice League movie? :wishluck: )

Paper is the traditional comic book delivery-medium, but there are some very exciting new mediums just starting to be explored. Who knows what the next generation of creators and artists will do with new tools and methods.

I do not think digital comics will replace the paper copies we have now, from the collectors standpoint digital comics are not the same as buying the book holding it in your hands reading it, then adding it your collection.

So basically I do not see much change in the hobby as it is now, I am sure digital will play a role, but a small role.

One of the main reasons this hobby is not getting more younger people involved is the greed of most people trying to make a buck. How many dealer takes there stock and goes to the childrens hospital and donate books? Or run ads in School papers with discount coupons? Or Reward kids with A's on there report card 1 new release for each A? It is the responsibility of all store owners in their communities to promote and advertise to the younger market and frankly it makes good business sense if you hook a kid on a couple titles whereas they keep coming back.

It is sad when it comes to marketing and promotions so many Store owners are miserable failures in that area. I do know the 7 shops within 50 miles of me all fail in that area and is it any wonder I never see younger people there when I frequent shops?

One of the main reasons this hobby is not getting more younger people involved is the greed of most people trying to make a buck. How many dealer takes there stock and goes to the childrens hospital and donate books? Or run ads in School papers with discount coupons? Or Reward kids with A's on there report card 1 new release for each A? It is the responsibility of all store owners ...

Sorry, direct distribution killed the growth of this hobby with the youngsters. As soon as it became impossible to see/buy comics in grocery stores and minute-shops a bunch of potential customers were lost. Just my uninformed tunnel visioned view of what I think anyways.