• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Latest original pieces and recreations

43 posts in this topic

It's awesome!

So PLEASE assure me you're not using a Sharpie to make these...

Guilty as charged. I use india ink in some cases but I find they warp once the ink is dried whereas the sharpie inks do not. Why did you ask?

Nice work man.

Smokinghawk, hope you don't mind, but I'll throw my 2c in on this one.

Sharpies, unless they've changed the formula, are not archival. Flip the paper over and you'll probably see a sepia toned bleed through. Not good for the long term.

Buckling... There are a couple of ways to combat that effect.

1. Switch to a heavier weight bristol. The paper you're using is probably 200 lb. The 300 lb Strathmore won't warp as easily.

2. Use less ink on your brush when filling in black areas. Don't allow the ink to pool.

It's awesome!

Guilty as charged. I use india ink in some cases but I find they warp once the ink is dried whereas the sharpie inks do not. Why did you ask?

Nice work man.

Sharpies, unless they've changed the formula, are not archival. Flip the paper over and you'll probably see a sepia toned bleed through. Not good for the long term.

1. Switch to a heavier weight bristol. The paper you're using is probably 200 lb. The 300 lb Strathmore won't warp as easily.

2. Use less ink on your brush when filling in black areas. Don't allow the ink to pool.

doh!

lbs? Sorry man, brain no working so goodly these days. I meant ply. It looks like you're working on a 2ply, try switching to a 3ply.

It's awesome!

Nice work man.

doh!

lbs? Sorry man, brain no working so goodly these days. I meant ply. It looks like you're working on a 2ply, try switching to a 3ply.

I have been working on blue line comic format pages to add to the overall appeal of my pages, the sheets I had were older and thinner stock ( likely the 2 ply you are talking about ) but I have bought some new stuff that is seemingly twice as thick as my old stock. I admit I have deterred from using the india ink I bought due to warping, but will try it on my next inked piece.

Thanks for the information.

I have been working on blue line comic format pages to add to the overall appeal of my pages, the sheets I had were older and thinner stock ( likely the 2 ply you are talking about ) but I have bought some new stuff that is seemingly twice as thick as my old stock. I admit I have deterred from using the india ink I bought due to warping, but will try it on my next inked piece.

Anytime man. Again, nice work.

Yeah, inking those large black areas is mind-numbingly boring isn't it? I know I want to get through them as fast as possible.

Have you tried one of these yet? It's a slightly higher gloss ink so the drying time's longer, but the pen's a winner.

https://www.currys.com/catalogpc.htm?CATEGORY=A171B004502

What are the dimensions of these?

standard format is 11 x17 like the regular original comic pages. I am not limited to that and the Silver Surfer 4 ( in my signature ) was actually larger at 20 x 30 inches as that client requested.

Anytime man. Again, nice work.

Yeah, inking those large black areas is mind-numbingly boring isn't it? I know I want to get through them as fast as possible.

Have you tried one of these yet? It's a slightly higher gloss ink so the drying time's longer, but the pen's a winner.

https://www.currys.com/catalogpc.htm?CATEGORY=A171B004502

Never tried one of those. The ink in those is "archival"?

Yeah, as far as I know it is; it's a higher quality ink. It won't "burn" the paper or fade over time. Sharpie pieces, if improperly stored, have a tendency to do both.

I've been working with this brush pen for close to 15 years now, and I love it. However, I'm left handed, so a slower drying ink doesn't exactly do me any favors. Smudging is a problem. So what I do is empty one of the cartridges, clean it out and fill it with Speedball Super Black India Ink. (a faster drying matte ink) If you do that, you're going to have to really stay on top of keeping the brush cleaned. And that's not just the nylon tip, but the internal barrel of the brush as well. I don't know what you clean your nibs and brushes with, but I've found that a 1 part amonia/ 3 parts water solution does a pretty good job. You don't want to leave plastics in that solution for extended periods of time (weeks), because it might start melting things, but it gets the job done.

Hope that helps.

Pete

Yeah, as far as I know it is; it's a higher quality ink. It won't "burn" the paper or fade over time. Sharpie pieces, if improperly stored, have a tendency to do both.

I've been working with this brush pen for close to 15 years now, and I love it. However, I'm left handed, so a slower drying ink doesn't exactly do me any favors. Smudging is a problem. So what I do is empty one of the cartridges, clean it out and fill it with Speedball Super Black India Ink. (a faster drying matte ink) If you do that, you're going to have to really stay on top of keeping the brush cleaned. And that's not just the nylon tip, but the internal barrel of the brush as well. I don't know what you clean your nibs and brushes with, but I've found that a 1 part amonia/ 3 parts water solution does a pretty good job. You don't want to leave plastics in that solution for extended periods of time (weeks), because it might start melting things, but it gets the job done.

Hope that helps.

Pete

Appreciate the tip.

In the meantime I hope my customers do not put their artworks in the sun

This was pretty much answered already, but to reiterate: Sharpie ink is notoriously unreliable for long-term art. It yellows at the edges and deteriorates the paper. A brush with ink would fill in those areas faster AND be durable. Your art is really good, and I fear that in a year or so the ink will have yellowed.

Fantastic Stuff......Bravo :applause: I think Werewolf by Night 15 would be a great recreation to tackle.....classic Ploog is always a good get-Peace CC.

I love WWbN 15, I had that as a kid and cherished it. preferred it to the Dracula counterpart.

Might be a good cover to do, I to love Ploog art:

GhostRider-1.jpg

Thanks for letting us see those. The Tales to Astonish does the most for me. It shows tremendous skill in finishing.

Thank you Ron, I greatly appreciate the compliment. Although I prefer the Black Cat, I like it so much I have decided to keep it and frame it for my own wall.

Fantastic Stuff......Bravo :applause: I think Werewolf by Night 15 would be a great recreation to tackle.....classic Ploog is always a good get-Peace CC.

I love WWbN 15, I had that as a kid and cherished it. preferred it to the Dracula counterpart.

Might be a good cover to do, I to love Ploog art:

GhostRider-1.jpg

Outstanding!!!! Yes, about WBN 15, I beleive that is Ploog's only go at Dracula while at Marvel, and I agree WBN is much better than TOD 18.....that was???? Gil Kane???