• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Legal Size Scanner thread.
48 48

1,634 posts in this topic

There's plenty of room (and then some). You'll probably have to use the 'Crop' feature in whatever software you'll be using with your scanner, to crop just the slab and nix the underneath of the scanner out of the pic.

Do all of the scanners listed in the recommended for cgc books compilation have scanning beds large enough to fit the whole cgc case or is the some mending software needed?

will fit regualr cgc case not the magazine case.

Just bumping this for a boardie.

Here is a list(Thanks Sharon!) from this thread of scanners that people have confirmed as compatible for slabs using the CCD format, many suggest using Vuescan for best editing tool.

Epson GT-2000

HP 7310 

HP 7400 (7710 is the actual number for a search)

HP 7410 All-in-one. 

HP 7780 AIO

HP Scanjet 8200

HP 8250

HP 8300

HP 8350

HP 8390 (according to HP specs)

Microtek Scanmaker i800 plus

Microtek V6UPL 

Microteks 9600-9700-9800 

Most new off the shelf units are CIS format, will be blurry(see HP 8600 example above). Editing will not eliminate the blurriness.

So, which one in the above list is the BEST? :)

Just bumping this for a boardie.

Here is a list(Thanks Sharon!) from this thread of scanners that people have confirmed as compatible for slabs using the CCD format, many suggest using Vuescan for best editing tool.

Epson GT-2000

HP 7310 

HP 7400 (7710 is the actual number for a search)

HP 7410 All-in-one. 

HP 7780 AIO

HP Scanjet 8200

HP 8250

HP 8300

HP 8350

HP 8390 (according to HP specs)

Microtek Scanmaker i800 plus

Microtek V6UPL 

Microteks 9600-9700-9800 

Most new off the shelf units are CIS format, will be blurry(see HP 8600 example above). Editing will not eliminate the blurriness.

So, which one in the above list is the BEST? :)

I'd probably go with the Epson GT-20000 (it's a typo in the above list) as it is a professional grade scanner but is about 5-7 years old now. Unfortunately that is reflected in it's price. The Epson Expression 11000XL- Photo Scanner is the current updated revision. 2400 dpi resolution; 12.2" x 17.2" scanner.

Edited by sl4ppy

Looking for a scanner where I can take 100 scans without having to open the scanner and save each image after each scan.

scan initial image - crop, set scale, color etc, - scan scan scan x 100 - close and save all

not

scan image - crop, set scale, color etc, - save 1 image. Start over x 100.......

certainly prefer a legal sized and clear unmuddied images are a minimum, the later is pretty much the standard nowadays.

My HP3970 was perfect but it only worked this way with Windows XP. Windows 7 makes it work not well. Same with Vuescan, I can't seem to roll off multiple scans quick and efficiently, I have to save each one.

From what I was told and was also recommended by a professional artist who uses it for not only producing prints, but also for scanning artwork to submit to publishers this is a great combo SCANNER and PRINTER (and it's a copier and fax too!) that's priced under $200 ($189 @ Amazon) with a large surface bed area that can accommodate original art sizes of 11" x 17" (so no need to stitch images).

Epson WorkForce WF-7610 Wireless Color All-in-One Inkjet Printer with Scanner and Copier

Bring wide-format printing and increased productivity to your small office with the WorkForce WF-7610. Powered by Epson's new PrecisionCore printing technology, the WF-7610 delivers Performance Beyond Laser. Get fast, print-shop-quality borderless prints up to 13 x 19-inches and laser-sharp black and color text. Plus, save on ink; get up to 40 percent lower printing cost vs. color laser. This wireless printer easily prints from tablets and smartphones. Additional features include wide-format scanning up to 11 x 17-inches and auto 2-sided print/copy/scan/fax with a 35-page, 2-sided Automatic Document Feeder. A 4.3-inches color touchscreen and 250-sheet paper capacity plus rear tray offer enhanced productivity.

Wide-format 4-in-1 with Wi-Fi & Ethernet: Print/Copy/Scan/Fax.

Powered by PrecisionCore — Performance Beyond Laser.

Save on ink — up to 40% lower print cost vs. color laser.

Print borderless up to 13 x 19-inches; scan up to 11 x 17-inches

Fast printing — 18 ISO ppm (blk), 10 ISO ppm (clr).

250-sheet capacity; auto 2-sided printing.

Edited by AKA Rick

Looking for a scanner where I can take 100 scans without having to open the scanner and save each image after each scan.

scan initial image - crop, set scale, color etc, - scan scan scan x 100 - close and save all

not

scan image - crop, set scale, color etc, - save 1 image. Start over x 100.......

certainly prefer a legal sized and clear unmuddied images are a minimum, the later is pretty much the standard nowadays.

My HP3970 was perfect but it only worked this way with Windows XP. Windows 7 makes it work not well. Same with Vuescan, I can't seem to roll off multiple scans quick and efficiently, I have to save each one.

Some self-written AutoHotKey tools makes the process you describe pretty easy and customizeable.

Welp, I bit the bullet on a used HP 8300 scanner. $93 shipped.

Damn is this thing HUMONGOUS! :) It's certainly noisier than my little Epson (5 years running now), but the scans are wonderful quality and quick. I'm very pleased!

21605216913_933c0f98a9_o.jpg

Edited by Epic Peach

Welp, I bit the bullet on a used HP 8300 scanner. $93 shipped.

Damn is this thing HUMONGOUS! :) It's certainly noisier than my little Epson (5 years running now), but the scans are wonderful quality and quick. I'm very pleased!

21605216913_933c0f98a9_o.jpg

I like it too, but it does have a problem with glare when scanning thick GA slabs.

Thanks for the reply. . It's not really the key strokes that are the time consumer its the use and operation of the scanner how it interfaces with the driver.

With my old scanner on Windows XP I can scan as many in a row as I want. Upgrade to Windows 7 and a new driver is required which does two things bad. I have to scan the book and then to save the image I have to scan it again. Then the software closes and opens the photo editor. I have no need to edit the photo but have to close that and then reopen the scanner software to start all over again. Sure a macro for keystrokes might help but not really if you know what I mean.

I just don't want to buy a scanner and have the same problem. Anyway, I just bought the 8300 and we'll see how it goes.

Thanks for the reply. . It's not really the key strokes that are the time consumer its the use and operation of the scanner how it interfaces with the driver.

With my old scanner on Windows XP I can scan as many in a row as I want. Upgrade to Windows 7 and a new driver is required which does two things bad. I have to scan the book and then to save the image I have to scan it again. Then the software closes and opens the photo editor. I have no need to edit the photo but have to close that and then reopen the scanner software to start all over again. Sure a macro for keystrokes might help but not really if you know what I mean.

I just don't want to buy a scanner and have the same problem. Anyway, I just bought the 8300 and we'll see how it goes.

Using the HP 8300 with VueScan on a Mac, I scan (once) and have the jpg output land on my desktop. When I'm finished scanning, I pull those into Photobucket. Seems easy enough, but I'm only scanning a few books at a time.

What kind of computer/software are you using? My 8300 is supposed to arrive tomorrow.

I'm using Photoshop. The scan lands in there and then I adjust with that. I haven't mucked about with the HP scan software settings yet to see if I can get the scan to look nice when it lands in PS.

Might be straight out of a Flintstones episode but I still use Windows Fax & Scan for rapid fire scanning then edit in Microsoft Office Picture manager where I individually crop & rename(if necessary or if I haven't done it in Windows Fax & Scan) and bulk resize in batches.

Using the HP 8300 with VueScan on a Mac, I scan (once) and have the jpg output land on my desktop. When I'm finished scanning, I pull those into Photobucket. Seems easy enough, but I'm only scanning a few books at a time.

Did you have any problems on initial set up? I have a Mac as well. I hooked up the HP8300 I just got today and opened VueScan which shows the 8300 as the device. But when I hit the scan button all it said was that it was busy with a percentage counting up for a few minutes, but the scanning element never moved and no image was taken. Any ideas? **edit. problem fixed.**

Now if I could only get rid of the glare...

Edited by Mutie Fan

X-Men%20%2094%20CGC%208.5_zpsuzu5xmij.jpg

This is what I came up with after a little tweaking and learning how to use the system.

I'm using VueScan with the HP 8300. I have the black point on 11% (max) and the white point on .52%, brightness 1.18.

Does anyone with a similar set up know of any better settings to use. I think the scan is a bit light and washed out.