• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Legal Size Scanner thread.
48 48

1,634 posts in this topic

question- I have a great scanner/copier at work. The problem is the attachment or pdf isn't like the img. I get using imgur. is there a way to convert a pdf to an image for a non computer geek? thx

Most office copiers will send the scanned attachment in a file format of your choosing. I'd do some poking through the send settings (or the like) and try to find an option to send as a .jpg instead of a .pdf. Most are set to PDF by default as document scanning is the primary business use but I have yet to see one that wouldn't send as an image file with a little tweaking.

Just bought a new iMac (used a PC before) and the ol' Mustek doesn't have the update yet so...

Anyone have any suggestions on a compatible scanner for slabs with an iMac?

JJ

You may want to see if VueScan can make your current scanner compatible with your iMac. I use an HP8300 (with VueScan) with my iMac.

Edited by Sqeggs

Just bought a new iMac (used a PC before) and the ol' Mustek doesn't have the update yet so...

Anyone have any suggestions on a compatible scanner for slabs with an iMac?

JJ

Yuma want to see if VueScan can make your current scanner compatible with your iMac. I use an HP8300 (with VueScan) with my iMac.

I do the same. Works fairly well.

Anyone use an HP Envy 7640 series? Seems to work fine for raw books however scanning slabs always comes out a bit blurry.

If anyone has any tips on settings or ways to improve the scan on slabs with this one would be appreciated.

Thanks!

This happens because most scanners use a CIS sensor and will only scan anything pressed right up on the glass. A CIS sensor lacks the depth of field required to scan a comic inside a slab which is lifted a bit from the glass when placed in the scanner.

The best scanners to use for scanning slabs are any scanner with a CCD sensor which is capable of scanning items that not only press against the glass but also slightly off the glass as well.

I found a really good article that discusses the differences here:

http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/artjan13/dw-scanner-type.html

Anyone use an HP Envy 7640 series? Seems to work fine for raw books however scanning slabs always comes out a bit blurry.

If anyone has any tips on settings or ways to improve the scan on slabs with this one would be appreciated.

Thanks!

This happens because most scanners use a CIS sensor and will only scan anything pressed right up on the glass. A CIS sensor lacks the depth of field required to scan a comic inside a slab which is lifted a bit from the glass when placed in the scanner.

The best scanners to use for scanning slabs are any scanner with a CCD sensor which is capable of scanning items that not only press against the glass but also slightly off the glass as well.

Great info.. Appreciate the response!

Thanks!

Great info.. Appreciate the response!

Yes. Unfortunately, most new scanners produce only blurry scans of slabs.

My scanner makes my slabs look like a pile of fuzzy .

I stumbled onto Genius Scan + , it works very well for slabs.

Genius Scan is a free app, Genius Scan + is $9 a month , I'd suggest paying the 9 bucks as it makes loading scans as quick n easy as could be.

Hopefully no one obects but I have an HP Scanjet 7400c in good condition with power adapter that I dont need anymore. Have switched to Windows 7 now with an 8250 so this one is for sale. It has served me well and needs a new home. As far as software drivers and installation, you are on own. I used this on an XP computer.

$40 Local pickup only in Dublin, California

Edited by silverweb

Are there any new scanners that work well for Slabs? My Microtek i700 is getting long in the tooth. I'd like to pickup a modern network enabled multi-function laserjet for the house, but I doubt any of the legal sized multi-functions will scan a slab worth a damn.

Are there any new scanners that work well for Slabs? My Microtek i700 is getting long in the tooth. I'd like to pickup a modern network enabled multi-function laserjet for the house, but I doubt any of the legal sized multi-functions will scan a slab worth a damn.

Plustek OpticPro A320

Has the right scanner type - but I do not think anyone here has tried it (I have asked about it before .

not cheap - 500-600 - but not over the top either

I would love to try one - but no time at the moment

So I've done some research and never reported back. The basic synopsis is that most modern scanners use technology called CIS which makes constructing the scanner relatively cheap. The problem is that if the item being scanned is not directly on the glass you will get a blurring of the image. The other unfortunately problem is that 95% of all the new scanners made nowadays is CIS technology.

Due to the fact that we have a business doing a 9.8 grading service, we got tired of taking photographs of the slabs and wanted something more efficient and better. So we forked the cash over and purchased an EPSON DS-50000. Not cheap, but super quick and we can get through piles of slabbed books in a matter of minutes.

CIS Tech:

_57_zps7368e490.jpg

Xenon Tech:

img20151014_19150991_zpsq3ivzaxu.jpg

Othwise you can't beat the old technology of cold cathode ray tube scanners. The only inefficiency is the time it takes to scan just 1 side. I can literally scan both sides of a slab in a couple of seconds.

So I've done some research and never reported back. The basic synopsis is that most modern scanners use technology called CIS which makes constructing the scanner relatively cheap. The problem is that if the item being scanned is not directly on the glass you will get a blurring of the image. The other unfortunately problem is that 95% of all the new scanners made nowadays is CIS technology.

Due to the fact that we have a business doing a 9.8 grading service, we got tired of taking photographs of the slabs and wanted something more efficient and better. So we forked the cash over and purchased an EPSON DS-50000. Not cheap, but super quick and we can get through piles of slabbed books in a matter of minutes.

CIS Tech:

_57_zps7368e490.jpg

Xenon Tech:

Othwise you can't beat the old technology of cold cathode ray tube scanners. The only inefficiency is the time it takes to scan just 1 side. I can literally scan both sides of a slab in a couple of seconds.

How does it work on GA slabs? Those are the slabs that can cause problems for the HP 8300 and similar scanners, apparently because of their thickness.

CIS Tech:

_57_zps7368e490.jpg

Xenon Tech:

How does it work on GA slabs? Those are the slabs that can cause problems for the HP 8300 and similar scanners, apparently because of their thickness.

Even for GA slabs it works out perfect. I had one but haven the scan anymore. Sorry most of the books we have are modern/silver. If you were just talking about the thick cases in general I have a few books that I can scan later today.

CIS Tech:

_57_zps7368e490.jpg

Xenon Tech:

Even for GA slabs it works out perfect. I had one but haven the scan anymore. Sorry most of the books we have are modern/silver. If you were just talking about the thick cases in general I have a few books that I can scan later today.

Yes, I think the problem with GA books is the thickness of the slabs. Because of the thickness, it's hard to avoid reflections from the inner well. At any rate, that seems to be the consensus view. So, it would be great if you could show scans of thick slabs. Thanks!

I upgraded from the Microtek 9600 (SCSI) to the 9800 (USB) and I'm very happy with it.