• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

trimming question

19 posts in this topic

Filter's latest sales thread got me thinking. A couple books are heavily restored and trimmed.

I have an extensively restored GA book that has some interior pages hanging out (and just waiting to be damaged). I can't help but think that it would look much nicer (and store much safer) if they were trimmed.

Now, I know all about the trimming stigma. It's bad.. sure.. but I wonder if there is a certain threshold where the amount of restoration is so high, that even trimming can't hurt the book's value. Or.. is it possible that an extensively restored book's pages are so misaligned that an edge trim can even improve the value?

Any opinions or insights?

I really don't understand the stigma attached to minor trimming. I certainly don't endorse it, but I don't see why a square inch of cover removed along the edge is worse than a square inch chunk missing at a corner (shrug)

A trimmed book will always sell for less money. It is a total and complete destruction of a book. IMHO. It can never, ever be replaced. Your taking away part of the book. That is simply crazy. To think trimming a book will add value to it is simply not possible. It is seen as destruction, and rightfully so I may add.

I'm not into trimming because it is normally done to fool someone so the book can be sold at a higher grade to squeeze out a couple extra bucks.

I'd much rather have a book with missing pieces that was read over and over because someone really loved it.

It may narrow the buying pool a bit when you go to sell but I think if the book is already heavily restored I doubt most people would care at that point.

Can we see a pic of the book in question?

I'm not into trimming because it is normally done to fool someone so the book can be sold at a higher grade to squeeze out a couple extra bucks.

I'd much rather have a book with missing pieces that was read over and over because someone really loved it.

It may narrow the buying pool a bit when you go to sell but I think if the book is already heavily restored I doubt most people would care at that point.

I think cheesywhiz was referring to the books in Filter's sales thread...

I really don't understand the stigma attached to minor trimming. I certainly don't endorse it, but I don't see why a square inch of cover removed along the edge is worse than a square inch chunk missing at a corner (shrug)

Cover chunks can be replaced. Even page tips all the way through a book. But a 1/4" of the book hacked off on three (or two) sides? Not so much.

A slight cover trim isn't nearly as bad. Yet it still gets a huge stigma in the hobby

Cover chunks can be replaced. Even page tips all the way through a book. But a 1/4" of the book hacked off on three (or two) sides? Not so much.

A slight cover trim isn't nearly as bad. Yet it still gets a huge stigma in the hobby

My take on the huge stigma is that trimming can be difficult to catch. If the penalty were small it would likely be widespread and that, imho, would be a very bad thing.

some of these GA keys are getting so tough to find and pricey that even a little trim or other forms of PLOD is more acceptable as long as it's presentable and can be handled. Everyone has there preferences in defects and resto issues. :P

I like a little trim every now and again :insane:

keeps folks from admiring my mullet lol

It's ALL ONE LENGTH! :pullhair:

:juggle:

I was referring to Filter's books in a way -- they inspired me to ask the question about EP restored books and trimming -- but I had one of my own books in mind, too.

Thanks for the responses thus far. There's a wide range of opinions, obviously. I agree with nearmint's comment that trimming, although possibly acceptable in some cases, reduces the number of potential buyers.. and that's obviously bad for a book's value.

What about the case of a married centerfold.. say the new pages didn't quite fit and jutted out 1/8" on one or two sides. A book like this could never be slabbed, right? Would trimming be OK then?

I was referring to Filter's books in a way -- they inspired me to ask the question about EP restored books and trimming -- but I had one of my own books in mind, too.

Thanks for the responses thus far. There's a wide range of opinions, obviously. I agree with nearmint's comment that trimming, although possibly acceptable in some cases, reduces the number of potential buyers.. and that's obviously bad for a book's value.

What about the case of a married centerfold.. say the new pages didn't quite fit and jutted out 1/8" on one or two sides. A book like this could never be slabbed, right? Would trimming be OK then?

Personally, I'd keep a book like that raw. Even if they slab it, it'll be green, and I find qualified grades to be worthless. If you trim it, you get the PLOD.