• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"Classic covers" that don't really do anything for you! I'll start...

144 posts in this topic

See, people are naming some books that I think have become classic covers because of their importance. I guess I was thinking more the other way around; books that are desirable more BECAUSE of their covers.

I'd put Spidey 1 in the former category. I find it badly composed and difficult on the eye.

As for the latter, that is far more fashion-dictated. Some covers get a lot of attention yet leave me scratching my head, as they don't deserve classic status to me.

I agree about Spidey 1 totally. Weird angle and you can't really tell what is going on.

When I look at this cover I don't see Wolverine or the Hulk. I see a good concept ruined by bad art.

340-3.jpg

It's a classic because of it's design. Comics these days have horrible covers,Jim Lee draws the same cover over and over and people pay stupid amounts of cash for them. I want to see a lot more surrealism in comic covers. Not a bunch of superheros standing around with their arms folded trying to look cool like a bouncer at a strip club.

I love this cover...

I too...love this one...

Batman_227_9-6.jpg

I agree, I've really never seen why people act like Pavlov's dogs whenever this cover gets posted. It's nice, but it isn't really a big classic to me.

Don't care for this one...that's life, some love it, some...meh...I would like it if Batman were invisible...for me he ruins it...

I want to see a lot more surrealism in comic covers. Not a bunch of superheros standing around with their arms folded trying to look cool like a bouncer at a strip club.
I Think I found my new sig line. :cool:

more surrealism in covers? like this I can take it...

3183182181_2e3f03ed75_o.jpg

but that hulk cover is SO bad it makes me want to gouge my eyes out & get so drunk I never remember I saw it. :foryou:

I likey...never seen it before here...thanks Shiv

Also, I like this one, but don't love it. I think it's obviously so popular for the "idea" and the goriness.

1954-crimesuspenstories22.gif

To me, although this cover is pretty impressive, the story behind the Senate hearings and how this book almost single-handedly defeated Gaines there, makes it a truly iconic cover.

Startling 49 does nothing for me.

Glad to see some one agrees with me on that one. I posted same a few pages ago.

In the corner of great covers not recognized, I feel at least a couple of Russ Heath Atlas covers should be considered classic ... but I don't believe any are. :cry: At the very least War # 11 and potentially War Action # 14

I think one reason Hulk 181 is considered a classic cover is because the covers around it are so God awful. Hulk 180 and 182 have to be considered two of the worst covers of all time for keys.

I agree with ASM 50. It represents much that is bad (my jusdgement) about Romita compared to Ditko. Blocky vs Curvy lines. Lack of detail, stiff motion, no sense of awkward spider-like poses or motion. I'd give it a

The best part of the cover is the coloring and interplay of red background with red Spiderman.

I'd also agree that the airbrushed Schomberg covers do little for me, really can't understand the appeal.

FF1 isn't even a classic cover is it? More like iconic.

Startling 49 does nothing for me.

Glad to see some one agrees with me on that one. I posted same a few pages ago.

In the corner of great covers not recognized, I feel at least a couple of Russ Heath Atlas covers should be considered classic ... but I don't believe any are. :cry: At the very least War # 11 and potentially War Action # 14

I'd take a Startling 49 over a Suspense 3 any day based on the cover.

49-1.jpg

And I agree with the Phantom Lady 17 comments. Looking at my Gerber guide, the PL covers were not his finest moments. His Seven Seas covers are much superior work. (I'd still love a PL run, though...)

Again, as with Action # 1, it's in the context. Daring to publish this in the '50's was a feat. Plus artistically, the pregnant anticipation of the next moment / the next 2 minutes in this image is much stronger than anything gorier would have achieved. This is deservedly a classic cover.

Again, as with Action # 1, it's in the context. Daring to publish this in the '50's was a feat. Plus artistically, the pregnant anticipation of the next moment / the next 2 minutes in this image is much stronger than anything gorier would have achieved. This is deservedly a classic cover.

Absolutely. This has to be taken in context of the time period. Half the country thought this was appropriate behavior, and for EC to put this out there as shocking or horrific was a very bold statement.

The juvenile and unpolished look of this cover , especially that of the look of Reed Richards and Ben Grimm, has always bothered me. The monster is forgettable too.

They could have chosen a better scene that tells of their origin rather than this.

The ropes dillema that I mentioned a while back.

Also, I like this one, but don't love it. I think it's obviously so popular for the "idea" and the goriness.

1954-crimesuspenstories22.gif

To me, although this cover is pretty impressive, the story behind the Senate hearings and how this book almost single-handedly defeated Gaines there, makes it a truly iconic cover.

I agree this one doesn't do much for me, other than gross me out.