• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Money Is No Object!!

204 posts in this topic

IMHO, It's a natural evolution that when this generation grows up, they will have money to burn and will take comics to dizzying new heights.

Are you serious about this?

Why would children who were weaned on super-hero DVDs, movies and video games, suddenly grow up and start paying through the nose for old comics?

It would seem to be obvious that they'd be picking up Mint first-edition copies of the video games and DVDs they loved as children, just like we have with comics.

Any other conclusion flies in the face of all known logic surrounding collectibles in general.

I'm with Gene and JC on this one. A couple of years ago, I was optimistic about the prospect of kids being drawn into the hobby through DVD's, cartoons, etc. At the time I was watching my friends' sons growing up and saw some signs that their interest was transitioning to the actual comics. Guess what? Never panned out, despite their having been exposed to back issues, tpb's and other collections. As far as they're concerned, Spiderman, Bats, the JLA, etc, are all video characters. Will there always be some interest in the major characters' comic appearances by a small group of collectors who can make this leap? Sure. Will there ever be a whole generation of collectors who are motivated by the incredibly fond memories of reading comics in their childhood? No way. I've used the analogy of Westerns before, but it so relevant, it's scary. Twenty-forty years ago, it was almost unimaginable for collectors of Western memorabilia that there would so little interest in collectibles related to Western screen, radio, and TV stars. They thought they were ingrained into American culture, had been a source of interest for over 100 years, and would always be a mainstay in the collectibles field. Now, all but the rarest of Western collectibles pursued by a small hard-core group are at bargain prices. Find me anyone born after 1965 who gives a rat's-a** about westerns. Ask anyone under the age of 40 who Tom Mix or Bobby Benson and you'll get a shrug of the shoulders. I'm so sure that comics will parallel this trend , that I'm only looking for bargains right now and absolutely refuse to pay over guide for anything, no matter how high the grade. Unless, of course, it's something so important to me that I don't care how much it costs and am ready to lose every cent I spend on it. That's going to be my approach for the next five years or so, when I'm convinced there will be so much new HG material on the market from collectors aging out of the hobby, that prices will dive.

I think the comic collecting market has always been small, even before DVDs and video games. When I was a young lad in the early 80s I only knew of a few guys in my school that actively read and collected comic books. In my class of 50 only one of my friends collected comics. So the fact that no one sees uddles of new youngsters in their comic book stores doesn't concern me too much. I really don't think you can compare Tom Mix to Spider-man or Superman. The reason is that Spider-man and Superman have spanned 40-60+ years over many generations and are still going strong.

At the risk of agreeing with my disagreeable Canadian friend, anybody who believes what you've said above is either 1) under 25 or 2) ignorant of history.

The number of comic collectors is significantly smaller than it was in the late 1970s and early 1980s, and, as less and less readers enter the hobby, the number will continue to fall. This may be purely anectodal, but in the DC area there used to be a thriving convention market supporting three or four monthly conventions (does anybody else remember Greedy Gail?). Now its down to one a month.

You may not want to compare Tom Mix to Spider-Man, and I agree, it might be a stretch. A better example is Tarzan. How many people are actively buying Tarzan comics today? I'll bet its 90% less of the number of buyers for Tarzan 30 years ago. How about Captain Marvel? Whiz and Captain Marvel sold twice as many copies per month in the 40s as Superman, and now you can't give Fawcetts away.

I don't think the apocalyptic predictions of Gene and JC are correct, but nor do I believe the continued price rise is going to continue. I've said before, and I still believe it, the "crash" already occured - look at prices in the summer of 2002 versus now on comics that meet all four of these criteria: post-1966, 9.6 or under, "relatively" common, relatively non-key. Prices on these books have cratered, and this cratering has taken place ACROSS the board, on both slabbed and unslabbed books. If you don't believe this, you're deluding yourself.

I don't think Tarzan or even Captain Marvel can be compared to mainstream DC or Marvel titles. Neither have been a well selling product in comic book form for decades although Captain Marvel did enjoy a 10+ year stretch back in the 40-50s. As for the number of collectors being significantly smaller I can only go by my own experience. It was small when I was collecting as a kid so it doesn't surprise me that it is small now.

You just made my point for me JC. People won't be buying original DVDs and video games, but may buy PC emulators or whatever the new technology is at the time. What the hell good is a 20 year old DVD or video game when the technology is obsolete?

Like I said, No Imagination. thumbsup2.gif

Okay, I'll be a nice guy and explain it, just for the No Imagination crowd:

CGC comics are sealed and certified, and when purchased for investment or collectiing, usually remain sealed and unread.

A hypothetical slabbed (or sealed) Cart Game is also not playable, NO MATTER THE TECHNOLOGY, and for investment and collectibility, will remain in its original state.

No one is paying $10K for a CGC 9.8 comic to read it, just as no one is spending big bucks on a sealed NM NES game to play it.

Trade Paperbacks are an inexpensive method of reading the old classics without breaking a CGC 9.8 slab and flushing a few grand down the drain. TPBs are also built for the times, with multi-issue content, better value, bookshelf-ready and available in conventional bookstores.

Emulator games, Classic Re-Issues (NES/SNES re-issued GameBoy, old PC games updated for an new OS, etc.) fill the EXACT SAME need to "experience the original", but without breaking the shrink wrap on the NM+++ edition of Zelda and flushing a few hundred/thousand down the drain. Just like TPBs, it's easier to just buy a GameBoy Advance collection than it is to exhume the original copies and boot up the Genesis.

Want a real-world example?

I recently made two purchases.

The first was a few TPBs from 'House that I enjoyed reading, and that will save my NM and CGC books from being damaged.

The second was a Gameboy Phantasy Star Collection, including Phantasy Star 1, 2 and 3 from the old Sega/Genesis days. The Gameboy Collection was a dream, since I can now enjoy those games in a Collected Edition, and still search/collect the sealed versions as well.

I've been playing video games for a lot longer than I've been collecting comics, and it's what got me into computer programming as a career...but the game box market doesn't make much sense to me.

I do know what you mean, but my parents thought collecting comics was a strange thing to do.

It all comes back to the "Golden Age" comparison of what you were doing from 8-14 or so, and how it influenced your life.

Plus, if adults didn't shake their heads at the phenomenon, kids wouldn't gravitate towards it.

CGCMINT: Get a day job? WTF is that supposed to mean? I'm in the process of selling my business and getting into another. Once the next one is underway, I assure you my 12 hour work days will not allow for much posting here. The next time I see you at a local con, please tell me to "get a day job" to my face. I'm looking foreward to it. Being 2-faced dosen't sit well with me, so don't make stupid, brain dead comments like "get a day job" and expect to make nice later on.

2 faced? Qui moi? People spend far too long on the message boards, person_without_enough_empathying, complaining, speculating, harrassing, etc... Read a book, get yourself an extra hobby, find a day job. The comment wasn't directed at you, it was in general.

You need to keep your high testosterone level in check before you start making any comments. Capiche.

John

You just made my point for me JC. People won't be buying original DVDs and video games, but may buy PC emulators or whatever the new technology is at the time. What the hell good is a 20 year old DVD or video game when the technology is obsolete?

Like I said, No Imagination. thumbsup2.gif

Okay, I'll be a nice guy and explain it, just for the No Imagination crowd:

CGC comics are sealed and certified, and when purchased for investment or collectiing, usually remain sealed and unread.

A hypothetical slabbed (or sealed) Cart Game is also not playable, NO MATTER THE TECHNOLOGY, and for investment and collectibility, will remain in its original state.

No one is paying $10K for a CGC 9.8 comic to read it, just as no one is spending big bucks on a sealed NM NES game to play it.

Trade Paperbacks are an inexpensive method of reading the old classics without breaking a CGC 9.8 slab and flushing a few grand down the drain. TPBs are also built for the times, with multi-issue content, better value, bookshelf-ready and available in conventional bookstores.

Emulator games, Classic Re-Issues (NES/SNES re-issued GameBoy, old PC games updated for an new OS, etc.) fill the EXACT SAME need to "experience the original", but without breaking the shrink wrap on the NM+++ edition of Zelda and flushing a few hundred/thousand down the drain. Just like TPBs, it's easier to just buy a GameBoy Advance collection than it is to exhume the original copies and boot up the Genesis.

Want a real-world example?

I recently made two purchases.

The first was a few TPBs from 'House that I enjoyed reading, and that will save my NM and CGC books from being damaged.

The second was a Gameboy Phantasy Star Collection, including Phantasy Star 1, 2 and 3 from the old Sega/Genesis days. The Gameboy Collection was a dream, since I can now enjoy those games in a Collection Edition, and still search/collect the sealed versions as well.

I am willing to stand aside and let you corner the video game and DVD market. Live long and prosper.

I am willing to stand aside and let you corner the video game and DVD market.

And I am more than willing to let you live in the past and continue paying nosebleed prices for old comics that teens and pre-teens don't give a rat's butt about.

I'm far from a Cart Game investor, but if you asked me what collectible I would sink a few grand into, my first answer would be "warehouse SNES stock" and my last answer would be that dinosaur of all dinosaurs, CGC Comics.

One day you may wake up and find yourself extinct.

Gene,

The comment wasn't directed at you but there seems to be a lot of people w/ time on their hands who continually bad mouth or speculate the reason why seller A sold his books and why buyer B is buying books that no one seems to care and try to guess for how much.

To everybody, buy what you like, sell whatever you like. If Gman wants to buy and flip a book the next day, then he should go ahead, what do I care. If Bob wants to sell his books and buy a house then good gor him.

John

I am willing to stand aside and let you corner the video game and DVD market.

And I am more than willing to let you live in the past and continue paying nosebleed prices for old comics that teens and pre-teens don't give a rat's butt about.

I'm far from a Cart Game investor, but if you asked me what collectible I would sink a few grand into, my first answer would be "warehouse SNES stock" and my last answer would be that dinosaur or all dinosaurs, CGC Comics.

Who is paying nosebleed prices? Not I. You can sell me all your HG old comics that teens and pre-teens don't give a rat's butt about at guide prices so you can reinvest in "warehouse SNES stock."

To everybody, buy what you like, sell whatever you like. If Gman wants to buy and flip a book the next day, then he should go ahead, what do I care. If Bob wants to sell his books and buy a house then good gor him.

893applaud-thumb.gif

Who is paying nosebleed prices? Not I. You can sell me all your HG old comics that teens and pre-teens don't give a rat's butt about at guide prices so you can reinvest in "warehouse SNES stock."

Cool. PM me with the details.

I've been dreaming about getting Overstreet values on my entire collection! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Beer's on me tonight boys!!!

Cool. PM me with the details.

I've been dreaming about getting Overstreet values on my entire collection! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Beer's on me tonight boys!!!

PM me a list of all your NM gold, silver, and bronze and I will get out my price guide to calculate. CGC here I come (rubbing hands together greedily)! Forget beer, break out the Champaign!

PM me a list of all your NM gold, silver, and bronze and I will get out my price guide to calculate. CGC here I come (rubbing hands together greedily)! Forget beer, break out the Champaign!

If you take 'em all at Overstreet you can drink whatever you want. If you want to cherry pick, Gman has a course you can take, but I'm not biting.

Do you think that the collectibility of video games is directly comparable to the collectibility of comic books?

Not sure about comic collecting overall but someone that spends silly money for a sealed game is very much comparable to someone buying one of the "highest" graded CGC comics. They aren't buying to read and enjoy but to own as a, if you pardon the expression, badge of honor. Some may indeed buy based on a true collector's mentality but as evidenced by a certain high profile collector who took umbridge to people slamming the QP of an X-Men #94, some have no qualms about bragging about their "highest" graded portfolio.

Same mentality exists in both hobbies, IMO.

I figure you're right that they will be collectible to some people, but the size of that market seems like it has less potential than comics for the following reasons:

I disagree....there are millions of people playing video games these days. That's their primary entertainment option. No different than card collectors or toy collectors. People collect anything these days and when the nostalgia bug bites, you can bet they are going to go after those items that gave them pleasure in their youth. Videogames will be a huge part of that rush......

Jim

To no one in particular: high grade Silver FFs are hot, but IMHO the time to cash in on these as a seller will be in the months leading up to the movie. The movie WILL get done in a year or 2 & movie-hype will drive FF prices to all-time highs. Hear me now, believe me later. sumo.gif

If you take 'em all at Overstreet you can drink whatever you want. If you want to cherry pick, Gman has a course you can take, but I'm not biting.

What do you mean by cherry pick? I am talking gold, silver, bronze HG comics. Lets make it simple and start at the letter A as in all your NM Amazing Spider-mans #1-137.

What do you mean by cherry pick? I am talking gold, silver, bronze HG comics. Lets make it simple and start at the letter A as in all your NM Amazing Spider-mans #1-137.

Ah, SIMPLE is your middle name, right?

Sorry for missing your incredible leap of logic of HG = NM Gold. You an owner of the Church collection or something?

Now get off my back pinbrain, and get back to loading your retirement fund and your kid's education savings into slabbed funny books. 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif