• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Money Is No Object!!

204 posts in this topic

Now that's where we differ.....

I see it as the same as having a slabbed comic. You can't read the story or open it. Same as a sealed videogame. But you still get the thrill of owning it.....

If you want what's inside, you'd buy an opened box.....

It's the same connection in either scenario....

It's similar, but not the same. The front cover of a comic book is a passive, narrative work of art; the interior of a comic book also is a passive, narrative work of art. A game box is a passive, narrative work of art, but the game itself is an entirely different medium--it's an active, interactive experience.

An un-interactive game box doesn't directly tie to the interactive game like a comic book's narrative cover ties to its narrative interior. The nature of the two media are entirely different, and the disparity between box and game is definitely wider than it is between comic cover and interior. Put another way, comics are static art, so to display a static comic cover is directly related to the way the interior is experienced; but to display a video game box doesn't even begin to hint at what the experience of playing a video game is like.

Does this difference in the comic book and video game media mean the market for video game boxes definitely won't be strong? Absolutely not...but I suspect the difference lowers the potential of the video game box market because fewer game players will become emotionally attached to the cart/disc as compared to comic book owners who became attached to the book itself. Only time will tell.

I would think most collectors have a pretty good idea of what they have and what they need. I don't argue that someone might buy a duplicate non-key comic only to go home and find out that he already has one, but I seriously doubt a person that has a copy of X-men #94 might forget that and pay a few thousand dollars for another one.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have two high grade copies of X-Men #94, but I don't think that this necessarily makes me a speculator. I bought my first copy at a local convention for $1.00 back about what must have been more than 20 years ago. On my way out, I noticed another equally high grade copy which was priced at only $0.30. Feeling that I had been completely ripped off, I picked up the second copy in order to lower my average cost and make myself feel better. I am quite sure that these two copies should most likely grade out in the 9.0 to 9.4 range without much of a problem. smile.gifsmile.gif

On the other hand, at the same convention, I was faced with the choice of spending big money ($50 maybe ???) between high grade copies of Conan #3 or a FF #11 which was both priced about the same in guide at the time. Since I only had enough money for one of these books, I paced back and forth before I finally decided on the Conan #3 in order to finish my Smith run. foreheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gif

I have two high grade copies of X-Men #94, but I don't think that this necessarily makes me a speculator. I bought my first copy at a local convention for $1.00 back about what must have been more than 20 years ago. On my way out, I noticed another equally high grade copy which was priced at only $0.30.

WHAT??!?! Wasn't Overstreet NM around $75 twenty years ago? These two dealers musta been huffin' some serious weed that day...unless you mean about eight years more than twenty

I have two high grade copies of X-Men #94, but I don't think that this necessarily makes me a speculator. I bought my first copy at a local convention for $1.00 back about what must have been more than 20 years ago. On my way out, I noticed another equally high grade copy which was priced at only $0.30.

WHAT??!?! Wasn't Overstreet NM around $75 twenty years ago? These two dealers musta been huffin' some serious weed that day...unless you mean about eight years more than twenty

Yeah, you are probably right. It may have been more than 25 years ago. Seems so long ago, but I guess it must have been in the latter part of the 70's when everything relatively new were quite cheap at the local conventions. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Now that's where we differ.....

I see it as the same as having a slabbed comic. You can't read the story or open it. Same as a sealed videogame. But you still get the thrill of owning it.....

If you want what's inside, you'd buy an opened box.....

It's the same connection in either scenario....

It's similar, but not the same. The front cover of a comic book is a passive, narrative work of art; the interior of a comic book also is a passive, narrative work of art. A game box is a passive, narrative work of art, but the game itself is an entirely different medium--it's an active, interactive experience.

An un-interactive game box doesn't directly tie to the interactive game like a comic book's narrative cover ties to its narrative interior. The nature of the two media are entirely different, and the disparity between box and game is definitely wider than it is between comic cover and interior. Put another way, comics are static art, so to display a static comic cover is directly related to the way the interior is experienced; but to display a video game box doesn't even begin to hint at what the experience of playing a video game is like.

Does this difference in the comic book and video game media mean the market for video game boxes definitely won't be strong? Absolutely not...but I suspect the difference lowers the potential of the video game box market because fewer game players will become emotionally attached to the cart/disc as compared to comic book owners who became attached to the book itself. Only time will tell.

So says the man collecting comic books encased in little sealed capsules... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

So says the man collecting comic books encased in little sealed capsules... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

You always leave this point about people who buy slabs half-finished, which avoids you coming to your half-thought out opinion on it. Please, finish your thought...what does my collecting high grade books which carry a risk of undisclosed restoration (to go along with my Marvel Masterworks reprints or lower grade copies) have to do with the difference between video game carts/discs and comics as a collectible?

You always leave this point about people who buy slabs half-finished, which avoids you coming to your half-thought out opinion on it. Please, finish your thought...what does my collecting high grade books which carry a risk of undisclosed restoration (to go along with my Marvel Masterworks reprints or lower grade copies) have to do with the difference between video game carts/discs and comics as a collectible?

Ah, so you want to talk reprints now?

If you've got the reprints, then why bother with the originals in slabs? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Therein lies your answer, Grasshopper.

If you've got the reprints, then why bother with the originals in slabs? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Therein lies your answer, Grasshopper.

I've already said it in the forums a few dozen times...AND directly to you in the past. Since you apparently don't believe me, why don't YOU tell me why I bother with the originals in slabs...I'm dying to find out! 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I've already said it in the forums a few dozen times...AND directly to you in the past. Since you apparently don't believe me, why don't YOU tell me why I bother with the originals in slabs...I'm dying to find out! 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

THAT'S MY POINT, FF!! At last!!! You have (hopefully) come to understanding! There is NO rational reason for collecting something that is "sealed" or "Mint-in-box" or "Mint-on-card"!!! People do it because... THEY WANT TO.

You know what? These video game collectors? They probably have "players" the same way you have "readers".

Gads, are you really this dim?

THAT'S MY POINT, FF!! At last!!! You have (hopefully) come to understanding! There is NO rational reason for collecting something that is "sealed" or "Mint-in-box" or "Mint-on-card"!!! People do it because... THEY WANT TO.

That's some brilliant insight!!! 893applaud-thumb.gif I wonder whether collecting vials of pee from celebrities will become a popular hobby? After all, as you're inferring, there are no aesthetics to collecting, people just do it because THEY WANT TO! I think I'm onto something here...I'm going to buy a centrifuge and start hanging out in Hollywood bathrooms. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I'll report back once I make my first million! acclaim.gif

Do you have any Charly Sheen in BA level 3.0 or better?

Im putting together a HG Brat Pack run and only need Charly and Im done!

Looking to trade for HG Bardot, Bisset and Monroe, strictly graded UGC-vialed specimens