• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Money Is No Object!!

204 posts in this topic

I'm extremely frugal with my comic budget (as I know most of it is flushed) and have only mass speculated on two comics EVER: ASM 300 and X-Men 283.

Define mass speculated as it relates to you? Also, how many comics outside of ASM 300 and X-Men 283 do you have multiple issues of? Then answer the following questions. Isn't a person who collects 2 or more copies of any individual comic in fact a comic book speculator? Why does anyone need those extra copies of any comic unless they think that at some point in the future their "investment" in extra copies might result in profit? A person only needs one copy to read and enjoy as a comic enthusiast, don't they? Oh, and couldn't a person who collects only 1 copy of any comic who is anal about its condition be considered a speculator? No need to keep a comic in mint shape by handling with care unless you are speculating on it, is there?

Isn't this about where you start calling people girly men and such?

Jeez,if you don't have the balls to sit out your suspension,couldn't you at least try to change your act a little?You certainly are the one trick pony.

Define mass speculated as it relates to you? Also, how many comics outside of ASM 300 and X-Men 283 do you have multiple issues of?

1) Mass speculation: More than 5 issues bought at release. I used to pick up multiples of Byrne books when I was younger, but that was because I thought them significant and was amassing a few complete runs, and not for valuation.

The ASM 300 and X-Men 283 were just too good to pass up" opportunities (50% off discount rack), and were likely the result of the "speculator mentality" working its way into me ever so slightly.

2) I own vast multiples of Byrne comics, which is the result of me buying lot after lot of "NM copies" at lower-than single issue prices, and then picking and choosing which issues meet the grade and are fit for upgrading my permanent runs. It's a bit of the "throw a bowl of spaghetti on the wall and see what sticks" strategy, and has resulted in a ton of NM copies and an nice amount of overgraded, yet valued, readable copies as well.

I have also done this with Hulk 367-390-something (Keown run), New Mutants 87-100, and ASM 298-325, but since I now have a definite NM/NM+ run of each, I don't buy them anymore.

I know this is difficult for some to relate to, but I buy what I like and pay what I feel is fair. For example, Banner had some prime MTU 65 and 66 copies (worthless to most people) but since they have Byrne art, I tried my best to pry them out of his hands. The potential investment return would likely be negative (Byrne books are horrible investments), but I wanted them for my hoard.

Isn't this about where you start calling people girly men and such?

Jeez,if you don't have the balls to sit out your suspension,couldn't you at least try to change your act a little?You certainly are the one trick pony.

Do you always come into threads protesting people being called a girly men when the charge hasn't been leveled? Is there something you wish to share with the rest of us about yourself? Please explain.

Define mass speculated as it relates to you? Also, how many comics outside of ASM 300 and X-Men 283 do you have multiple issues of?

1) Mass speculation: More than 5 issues bought at release. I used to pick up multiples of Byrne books when I was younger, but that was because I thought them significant and was amassing a few complete runs, and not for valuation.

The ASM 300 and X-Men 283 were just too good to pass up" opportunities (50% off discount rack), and were likely the result of the "speculator mentality" working its way into me ever so slightly.

2) I own vast multiples of Byrne comics, which is the result of me buying lot after lot of "NM copies" at lower-than single issue prices, and then picking and choosing which issues meet the grade and are fit for upgrading my permanent runs. It's a bit of the "throw a bowl of spaghetti on the wall and see what sticks" strategy, and has resulted in a ton of NM copies and an nice amount of overgraded, yet valued, readable copies as well.

I have also done this with Hulk 367-390-something (Keown run), New Mutants 87-100, and ASM 298-325, but since I now have a definite NM/NM+ run of each, I don't buy them anymore.

I know this is difficult for some to relate to, but I buy what I like and pay what I feel is fair. For example, Banner had some prime MTU 65 and 66 copies (worthless to most people) but since they have Byrne art, I tried my best to pry them out of his hands. The potential investment return would likely be negative (Byrne books are horrible investments), but I wanted them for my hoard.

I will let others decide for themselves, but you show all the classic signs of being what you bash others about. Speculator.

I will let others decide for themselves, but you show all the classic signs of being what you bash others about. Speculator.

Yeah....OK.....whatever you say.....

I also have duplicate copies of issues and it has nothing to do with speculation. When you collect you tend to gather additional issues be it from not realizing you have a certain issue or as those received as part of lots. Your answer suggests that you either (1) don't have a large collection, (2) don't buy many comics, or (3)are talking out of your [!@#%^&^].

Either one suggests that you don't know what you're talking about....

Jim

Yeah....OK.....whatever you say.....

I also have duplicate copies of issues and it has nothing to do with speculation. When you collect you tend to gather additional issues be it from not realizing you have a certain issue or as those received as part of lots.

I would think most collectors have a pretty good idea of what they have and what they need. I don't argue that someone might buy a duplicate non-key comic only to go home and find out that he already has one, but I seriously doubt a person that has a copy of X-men #94 might forget that and pay a few thousand dollars for another one.

Your answer suggests that you either (1) don't have a large collection, (2) don't buy many comics, or (3)are talking out of your [!@#%^&^].

Either one suggests that you don't know what you're talking about....

Jim

I hate to break the news to you Jim, but you are not the next Ms. Cleo. Your assumptions are wrong on all counts. Next time why don't you try telling me where you think I am wrong and address specific questions specifically instead of making derogatory remarks. Of course that would require effort and thought to be used which doesn't go with drive-by flamer tactics.

I don't argue that someone might buy a duplicate non-key comic only to go home and find out that he already has one, but I seriously doubt a person that has a copy of X-men #94 might forget that and pay a few thousand dollars for another one.

Yet another leap of logic, Mmmarvel transitions my comment of "buying Byrne lots" into mass acquisition of X-Men 94's at nosebleed prices.

Illiteracy is growing by leaps and bounds...

I don't argue that someone might buy a duplicate non-key comic only to go home and find out that he already has one, but I seriously doubt a person that has a copy of X-men #94 might forget that and pay a few thousand dollars for another one.

Yet another leap of logic, Mmmarvel transitions my comment of "buying Byrne lots" into mass acquisition of X-Men 94's at nosebleed prices.

Illiteracy is growing by leaps and bounds...

Spoken like a true multiple copy buying Spider-man and X-men speculator. It must suck to be what you loathe Spec_Boy.

I think Steve (comgeek) is right when he mentions that you guys need to grow up.

I really enjoy reading Gene's dissertations, although I disagree with some of his conclusions. And James and a few others always has some meaningful input in this thread, but I don't understand what the point of a flame war is in the midst of what I thought was some insightful comments. 893frustrated.gif

I think Steve (comgeek) is right when he mentions that you guys need to grow up.

I really enjoy reading Gene's dissertations, although I disagree with some of his conclusions. And James and a few others always has some meaningful input in this thread, but I don't understand what the point of a flame war is in the midst of what I thought was some insightful comments. 893frustrated.gif

You are right. I won't respond to any more flames thrown at me.

I would think most collectors have a pretty good idea of what they have and what they need. I don't argue that someone might buy a duplicate non-key comic only to go home and find out that he already has one, but I seriously doubt a person that has a copy of X-men #94 might forget that and pay a few thousand dollars for another one.

Who said anything about an X-Men #94? But to play your game.....I have multiple issues of higher grade Amazing Spider-Man 98-150. Why? Because the opportunity presented itself that I could finally get a single high grade run of the issues on the cheap but the only problem was I had to buy multiple runs of the title to achieve it. End result? I have a HG run of these issues for less than I would if I bought individually. I have no intention of selling the multiples or that they will go up in value. That's not speculation. It's collecting. A concept you obviously are having a hard time separating.....

Sounds exactly what JC described as well.....

Your assumptions are wrong on all counts. Next time why don't you try telling me where you think I am wrong and address specific questions specifically instead of making derogatory remarks. Of course that would require effort and thought to be used which doesn't go with drive-by flamer tactics.

Hey MMMarvel, I did address your question on what a collector vs. speculator would do. Don't like the answer? Not my problem.....

Jim

I have no intention of selling the multiples or that they will go up in value. That's not speculation. It's collecting.

Please break down that 1st sentence for me. Am I correct in understanding that you won't sell your multiples and that you believe they will go up in value? Or is it that you won't sell your multiples because they won't go up in value? Basically, I am asking the reason you keep multiples of comics is what? Do you read all your multiples or only one and bag and board the rest? Do you own any CGC comics?

One more thing. Have you ever sold a comic for a profit?