• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Justice Society on SMALVILLE Feb 5th

89 posts in this topic

Just finished watching Absolute Justice.. I enjoyed it!

Having Waller in was great and the look of her character was right on. I do wish GL and Flash were part of this even in a flashback. While the character design for Hawkman, Dr. Fate, etc were right on I do wish there was more of a "realism" design to them.

I've only ever watched the first few episodes in Season One and a few random episodes after that, but I did watch the season opener last night because of all the JSA hype. Overall, I thought it was enjoyable. While some of the costumes looked a little toy-like (Fate, Hawkman), it was great to see some of these characters come to life. I don't know how that plastic helmet could ever protect Dr. Fate in battle.

As I am an unsophisticated viewer, one thing I couldn't get my head around... *SPOILER* why would the Smallville writers kill off three JSAers (ala Watchmen style) in the first episode, and at the hands of a relatively minor-league villain like the Icicle? Now these characters can't be used in a potential JSA spin-off or JSA storyline that develops on in the series. Good grief.

Will the episode of Smallville be rerun?

Any idea when?

I missed it.

Have you looked online? You can get most shows on your computer.

I've only seen half so far, but I'm enjoying it:)

I've found it hard to find recent episodes of Smallville online without subscribing to something. (shrug)

I've only ever watched the first few episodes in Season One and a few random episodes after that, but I did watch the season opener last night because of all the JSA hype. Overall, I thought it was enjoyable. While some of the costumes looked a little toy-like (Fate, Hawkman), it was great to see some of these characters come to life. I don't know how that plastic helmet could ever protect Dr. Fate in battle.

As I am an unsophisticated viewer, one thing I couldn't get my head around... *SPOILER* why would the Smallville writers kill off three JSAers (ala Watchmen style) in the first episode, and at the hands of a relatively minor-league villain like the Icicle? Now these characters can't be used in a potential JSA spin-off or JSA storyline that develops on in the series. Good grief.

Someone else will pick up where they left off. A New Dr. Fate and a New Sandman if need be.

Not as awesome as I expected, but nevertheless, pretty cool.

Looked like they borrowed a lot from watchmen.

"Revenge is a dish best served cold," lifted twice now. It was better when Quenten used it.

Dr. Fate was pretty cool, but we never even saw GL or Flash, other than in flashbacks.

Anyone get the connection between checkmate and tess?

Also it was cool when she mentioned, welcome to the suicide squad.

I'm not too hip on moderns, is checkmate like Sheild?

+1

With DC (like Marvel) story elements get ret-conned all the time, plus there are "universes" - DC Universe, DC Animated Universe, Smallville Universe, etc....

In a broad sense Amanda Waller is a Fed who runs various shadow ops to deal with a perceived Metahuman threats (which includes fear of the Justice League's power).

Looks like in the Smallville universe "Checkmate" is a gov. org. with recruited "agents" in various positions, while the "Suicide Squad" are meta-human convicts released from custody if they agree to run "impossible mission" style special-ops for the government (do Waller's bidding).

Lots of hints and teases in Absolute Justice. No telling where the writers will take it.

Will the episode of Smallville be rerun?

Any idea when?

I missed it.

Have you looked online? You can get most shows on your computer.

I've only seen half so far, but I'm enjoying it:)

I've found it hard to find recent episodes of Smallville online without subscribing to something. (shrug)

http://www.megavideo.com/?v=1LPBDTDH Try this one

It kind of looks like they're setting up the possibility of spin-offs...

The Star Spangled Kid was already replaced by the protege. The Sandman and Kent Nelson really had no special powers. I think killing Wesley Dodds off was a homage to Kingdom Come actually.

They also killed off Hawkgirl, a character some people probably knew from the JLA cartoon who probably didn't know about her character arc in the comics.

Green Lantern wasn't used because the rights to the character are tied up for the new movie coming out. Flash's powers are already duplicated by Impulse and Superman. Wildcat is too similar to Hawkman.

I also really liked how he showed us the "real" Martian Manhunter.

Overall, I think Geoff Johns did a great job. (thumbs u

My inner dork thought this episode rocked. :cloud9:

As a Marvel guy the whole checkmate thing is beyond me as well as the Apokolips reference. Nice to see them give Martian Manhunter his powers back.

Apokolips/New Genesis are the home planets of (Jack Kirby's) New Gods. :gossip:

Or, in a word...Darkseid . :o On Smallville. :ohnoez:

darkseid-picture-160boxart_160w.jpg

Now THAT would be cool

I wish Smallville could afford Vin Diesel to play Darkseid That would be slick.

i watched it with my son, a little corny, but not bad. it's interesting they didn't have the big GA characters like WW and Batman references...there was a quick flash to the GA GL. i don't watch much smallville normally, just doesn't fit in my schedule and my wife won't watch it (most of our shows are ones we;ll both watch). she loves fringe, supernatural, BSG, etc....but doesn't like superheroes.

i missed the apokolypse episode...i might have it taped... it seems checkmate wants to build up the super hero teams to fight the coming "apokolypse"...i guess that's the reference to darkseid? pam grier is not aging well in the last few years....

Someone else will pick up where they left off. A New Dr. Fate and a New Sandman if need be.

yep a very smart move that way they can be rebooted for the 21st century audiences.

JUST finished watching it.

Any true comic fan will have loved it. I think if I see any more contemporary costumes (black leather, blah blah) I might puke. It was quite refreshing to have the costumes represented as they were in the original books.

Great job all around! Way better than all the Zod stuff going on right now. If only they could drop that storyline and get right into Apocalypse, it would be great!

i watched it with my son, a little corny, but not bad. it's interesting they didn't have the big GA characters like WW and Batman references...there was a quick flash to the GA GL. i don't watch much smallville normally, just doesn't fit in my schedule and my wife won't watch it (most of our shows are ones we;ll both watch). she loves fringe, supernatural, BSG, etc....but doesn't like superheroes.

i missed the apokolypse episode...i might have it taped... it seems checkmate wants to build up the super hero teams to fight the coming "apokolypse"...i guess that's the reference to darkseid? pam grier is not aging well in the last few years....

I liked it for the most part, and I hope you realize that Pam Grier is 61...SIXTY ONE!!! years old. She looks great for someone who's almost a senior citizen.

Episode was great except for the Emo Icicle "But what about my Daddy?....WAAAAA....WAAAAA"

The Icicle probably reminded people of a psychotic Iceman... Superman should have been able to easily handle him with his superspeed. Against an older Star Spangled Kid or the Sandman... yes.

I also thought it was a bit strange to have the Golden Age Green Lantern's ring there next to the power battery in the museum as that is one of the most powerful weapons on the planet.

HAWKMAN!! Stargirl?!! Gimme a break. Just watched it last night(DVR'd it) and the best they could do was some blond chick and hawkman? Sheesh. You've got a major motion picture coming up and you can't use green lantern? :pullhair: Dr. Fate is back in action and no Spectre? Pam Grier as Waller? How about CCHPounder from Warehouse 13? Ahhhhhh! My head is exploding!

I liked it for the most part, and I hope you realize that Pam Grier is 61...SIXTY ONE!!! years old. She looks great for someone who's almost a senior citizen.

-----

ok, fine, but

i've seen her on the L Word in the last few years and she still had a little bit of sex appeal then, though not much, her face is a mess now.

Iman is 55! Not far behind.

Christie Brinkley is 56.

sophia loren held it together better at 61.

we'll see where michelle pfeifer is in 9 years....