• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-MEN #1 club
27 27

3,535 posts in this topic

On 5/27/2021 at 6:49 PM, Austin_t_a said:

The restored .5 accepted an offer, it didn't sell for $9k.

Although a .5 blue label sold for $6k just a few days ago, which is also unreal.

Screenshot_20210527-064755.png

The restored 0.5 sold for $8200 on best offer. I also noticed the other 0.5 copy selling for just under $6000 the other day. Makes me want to put this one up for sale...

xm.jpg

21 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Just curious -- not selling, but always interested in knowing what my books are worth.  Has there been a recent sale of a 9.0 and if so, what did it go for?

GPA shows most-recent sale in March for $95K, but GoCollect estimates a 9.0 at $185K and a 9.2 at 350K(!).   :flipbait:

50 minutes ago, Pantodude said:

GPA shows most-recent sale in March for $95K, but GoCollect estimates a 9.0 at $185K and a 9.2 at 350K(!).   :flipbait:

Yeah, that's nuts.

I was genuinely interested in upgrading my JIM #83 to 9.0, but didn't feel comfortable meeting the $145K price it realized on ComicLink last week.  I'm assuming X-Men #1 would sell for even more in that grade.

On 5/26/2021 at 6:13 PM, thedude said:

a restored .5 just sold for $9k. Unreal.

On 5/27/2021 at 3:49 AM, Austin_t_a said:

The restored .5 accepted an offer, it didn't sell for $9k.

Although a .5 blue label sold for $6k just a few days ago, which is also unreal.

Well, if not for $9K, do you have any idea what the buyer accepted for it in the end then?  ???

Either way, that's still a pretty mind blowing price from my POV and I am just glad I didn't actually recycle my beater copy which I thought was most likely worthless several years ago.  lol

Not sure where it is now, but glad now that I was able to pick it up for half the going rate back then for a used book from the second hand used bookstore since it was pretty much a beater of a copy.  :banana:

3 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, if not for $9K, do you have any idea what the buyer accepted for it in the end then?  ???

If it's the 5/25/21 sale, it was LT-OW pages and "Restoration includes: small amount of glue on spine of cover."  It sold for $8,200, so close enough!  

1 hour ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:
1 hour ago, Batmanis#1 said:

And it's on for the X-Men 1 CGC 9.6.

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/919592

No offense but that's an ugly 9.6.  The whites are awful.

Well, at least 2 bidders must like it a lot because it's still only the first several hours of the auction and it's already sitting at $78K.  (thumbsu

50 minutes ago, Batmanis#1 said:

I was told a few years back that CGC places some kind of clear paper between the front page and 1st page hence why you see threw it. It's not the book itself. Some have this sheet and some do not.

The apparent translucency seems like something that happens when imaged via a flat bed scanner? In other words, the white of the cover will not appear to be translucent in hand?

Edited by Pantodude

1 hour ago, Pantodude said:

The apparent translucency seems like something that happens when imaged via a flat bed scanner? In other words, the white of the cover will not appear to be translucent in hand?

I don't want to say too much because it's really not my intention to talk the book down.  But you can expect these auction houses will make sure the image presents the book in its best possible light.  It's not just that the first page is visible through the cover -- the white areas are noticeably off-white / tan.  That likely had no effect on the grade, but it's definitely an eye appeal problem.

2 hours ago, Batmanis#1 said:

I was told a few years back that CGC places some kind of clear paper between the front page and 1st page hence why you see threw it. It's not the book itself. Some have this sheet and some do not.

Are you referring to micro chamber paper? Those sheets are usually inside the second wrap. They shouldn’t show through the cover. 

13 hours ago, Pantodude said:

GoCollect really is all over the place. It's just an algorithm and often has no basis in reality.

I've looked at a few books with no recent sales and they really are off the mark so I wouldn't really bank on these numbers with no support.

5 hours ago, VintageComics said:

Unfortunately, that's not always the case...in fact, I find scans often are not representative.

Auction houses use various imaging quality but they're more interested in scanning 1000's of books quickly than getting every book accurately imaged unfortunately.

IMO, Comic Connect's pics are often too dark. There was a time when Heritage's books were too light and also a time where their images ghosted defects into the books that were not actually there.

Even CGCs previous images were far too dark and they accentuated even the slightest darkening of paper making it look brown when it wasn't.

I slabbed that X-men #1 CGC 9.6 many years ago and this is the image I used after I slabbed it. I think the book looks more like my image than Comic Connect's unless something about the book has changed. I remember the book looking pretty white.

[001290].jpg

Thanks for this Roy.  The book certainly looks much better in your scan.